Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 months to fix tiny dent, 2 authorized shops near DC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Remember when you could choose one of several repair shops near your house? Not with a Tesla... I had two to chose from within 150 miles. They have had my car for one month, it will take them at least another month for the tiniest dent that didn't affect cameras or sensors. Oh, they also want $5,000 from my insurance company to fix it. Although I will stay electric, I'm getting anything but a Tesla next time.

perhaps try a dentless repair shop.

I don’t think Tesla prevents you from going to any repair shop.
I have a small maybe 3/4" mark from some road debris. Tesla shop $3600. Nobody else will touch it because Tesla wants them to license expensive software to check all the systems upon completing repair and that final check is required by the body shop's insurance carrier (confirmed with 3 shops). Dentless might touch it though... less invasive

TMC members, don't be baited by these fake AI bot plant (troll) messages. Look for the signs:

1) OP just just joined TMC today
2) 1st time posting
3) Complaining about something or casting shade

The moderator can't delete these posts because they don't violate the Terms of Service. Just ignore the post and be confident that the OP will never be heard from again on TMC because they don't exist.

I have a small maybe 3/4" mark from some road debris. Tesla shop $3600. Nobody else will touch it because Tesla wants them to license expensive software to check all the systems upon completing repair and that final check is required by the body shop's insurance carrier (confirmed with 3 shops). Dentless might touch it though... less invasive
I'll assume this isn't a fake AI post...

The days of quick/inexpensive repairs on ANY car, for even the most minor parking lot dent, have been over for a long time...unless you're using Bondo and Earl Scheib paint shops!!

Can you post a photo of the 3/4" mark?
Does it require a panel to be replaced?
Painting of the replaced panel, and adjacent panels, for a proper paint match?
Where is the mark?
Is it adjacent to one of the side cameras, and the does the repair require removal, and calibration, of a camera?

Simply replacing/repairing a panel, with follow-up painting, can easily top $2.5k, on ANY car. This is why the PDR business has been booming for several years. A good PDR person can bring most dents back very close to 100%.

Reactions: Waltjo
I had front bumper, hood, headlight and many small misc parts replaced. They ordered all parts and paint before I dropped it off. Except they missed the headlight on initial estimate and that took another week. $6000. Paid out of pocket. Whole thing took a few weeks. Came out perfect.

I’m 30 miles west of Boston.

Having insurance pay for a small dent is unwise.

Reactions: damageprone
Remember when you could choose one of several repair shops near your house? Not with a Tesla... I had two to chose from within 150 miles. They have had my car for one month, it will take them at least another month for the tiniest dent that didn't affect cameras or sensors. Oh, they also want $5,000 from my insurance company to fix it. Although I will stay electric, I'm getting anything but a Tesla next time.
A quick search reports more than a dozen Tesla Authorized Body shops within 30 mi of downtown WDC. It seems unlikely that you would choose to use a shop 150 miles away. My experience with two body shop trips one for a M3 and one for MY, both resulted in very good service and excellent customer relations. Although there were waits for parts, the manager indicated that most cars that need factory parts are encountering similar delays now. In both of my cases, the cars were driveable, and fully functional so the wait while unpleasant was not a big issue.