Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So there's been all this talk about how 360 is an important price and that if TSLA got there then there would be a "breakout". Well, it got to 363 today. It there was a breakout I must have missed it.

Does this sort of thing actually burst anybody's bubble or is it just on to the next set of tea leaves (or triangles)?

This day still totally fits in the triangle. If we close above or in the vicinity of 363 its still on.

Nice. It seems to be getting earlier and earlier in the quarter

Not really. A quirk of the calendar. They have been doing it on the first Wed of the second month for a few quarters now.

This day still totally fits in the triangle. If we close above or in the vicinity of 363 its still on.

Ah, so it's just back to the triangles. Sorry, the conditions were met and nothing like a breakout happened. In fact, today we're plummeting. The experiment was performed and the result was not what was predicted, which means there's something wrong with your theory. Do you actually believe that when it closes "above or in the vicinity of 363" then there will be a "breakout"?

Me, I believe that when it closes above 363 then it will be above 363. And it will say nothing about what will happen the next day.

...On Oct. 19, 1987, the S&P 500 plummeted 20.5 percent to wipe out what had been sizeable gains for the year.

Earnings season off with a bang, but since today is Oct 19th, market sentiment off the bat seems like driven by the above ...

Edit: This is not a Joke ;)
The media has been all over this 30th anniversary today. It garnered nearly a full page in the USA Today financial section. They sell fear so here it is. Other than that, the market was selling off toward close yesterday and this appears to be a continued liquidation.

The trolls are out in force on slurping alfalfa... And this morning dip, looks like opportunistic shorting based on the rest of the market suffering. I’ve seen a good bit of macro market FUD out there the last few days with the usual doom prawn purveyors. I’ve not checked with the most reliable of those sources of late, however.

• Funny
Reactions: madodel
Tsla ER November 1st
Cool. From my email :

Tesla Announces Date for Third Quarter 2017 Financial Results and Webcast

PALO ALTO, Calif., Oct. 19, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Tesla will post its financial results for the third quarter of 2017 after market close on Wednesday, November 1st, 2017. At that time, Tesla will issue a brief advisory containing a link to the Q3 2017 Update Letter, which will be available on the Tesla IR website. Tesla management will hold a live question and answer webcast that day at 2:30pm Pacific Time (5:30pmEastern Time) to discuss the Company's financial and business results and outlook.

What: Date of Tesla Q3 2017 Financial Results and Q&A Webcast
When: Wednesday, November 1st, 2017
Time: 2:30pm Pacific Time / 5:30pm Eastern Time
Shareholder Letter: http://ir.tesla.com
Webcast: http://ir.tesla.com (live and replay)
Approximately two hours after the Q&A session, an archived version of the webcast will be available on the Company's website.

For additional information, please visit ir.tesla.com.

Funny though, the investor link still shows TBD date.

You mean except for the ones who bought near the bottom in August. The IPO price was a ripoff but those recent buyers are WAY up. I'm not so sure it's not going to figure out how to monetize its base at some point. We've got some teens and they and all of their friends are on SNAP nonstop. FB can't quite seem to get rid of the little guy.
I don't dispute the popularity of Snapchat, and in fact I've been using it a bit lately, anytime a picture or video is useful it beats the *sugar* out of texting. I just dispute their ability to monetize it.

Ads in chat/messaging frameworks haven't worked well in the past. That's not to say it can't, I just haven't seen any compelling evidence that it can or that SNAP has some interesting new plan.

Also, yeah I meant IPO. There will always be projects who buy at local lows and make out like bandits. I sure wouldn't want to hold it long term though. I wouldn't even want to own it for this quarters ER.

Reactions: Crowded Mind
Ah, so it's just back to the triangles. Sorry, the conditions were met and nothing like a breakout happened. In fact, today we're plummeting. The experiment was performed and the result was not what was predicted, which means there's something wrong with your theory. Do you actually believe that when it closes "above or in the vicinity of 363" then there will be a "breakout"?

Me, I believe that when it closes above 363 then it will be above 363. And it will say nothing about what will happen the next day.
:rolleyes:

Reactions: Krugerrand

I can draw a triangle where this day is a breakout below the triangle if you want :)

Ugh. What's going on today, is it AAPL dragging everyone else down?
macro driven- leading economic indicator came in below expectations-
coupled with hi val tech group being in risk territory so profit taking-
Apple, NVDA, TSLA etc.
this is all macro-- (and targeted sector)
edit: Not that there's anything wrong with that :p

I converted more common to DITM LEAPS at TSLA $348

Just sayin'. If it closes higher than this, which it almost certainly will, it will still look ok. Note intraday trips below support:

10_19_triangle.JPG

I don't dispute the popularity of Snapchat, and in fact I've been using it a bit lately, anytime a picture or video is useful it beats the *sugar* out of texting. I just dispute their ability to monetize it.

Ads in chat/messaging frameworks haven't worked well in the past. That's not to say it can't, I just haven't seen any compelling evidence that it can or that SNAP has some interesting new plan.

Also, yeah I meant IPO. There will always be projects who buy at local lows and make out like bandits. I sure wouldn't want to hold it long term though. I wouldn't even want to own it for this quarters ER.
Totally agree.

Technical trading is just a set of data points - not religion and certainly discount and don’t use if you think it’s silly. Having said that - if let’s say x% of the shares in a given day are traded by folks (or computers) who trade based on technical setups - wouldn’t you want to know what factors/indicators this group is looking at to either buy or sell shares - which can influence the price movements in the stock? Not trying to convince you to believe in anything - just pointing out something that’s obvious to me.

Tesla has no real comparable market peers or competitors in the public marketplace (correlation trading is relevant but not bankable) and you cannot look at PE ratios or multiples of ebitda to value so technicals become more of a relevant factor here for me to look at vs just investing into the abyss.

Not sure which is harder ..
convincing people EV better than ICE
OR convincing people that TA has its place and it works within certain constraints ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.