Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.8.3 Stronger Regen Over 30 MPH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's the sequence of events yesterday with regard to driving my car.

< 3:00pm - Car parked in unheated garage attached to house, plugged in to charge
3:00pm to 4:30pm - Ran a few errands, driving distance about 20 miles, temperature 59 degrees, minimal regen over 30 MPH
4:30pm to 8:30pm - Car in garage, not plugged in to charge, 2019.8.3 update installed about 6:00pm
8:30pm to 8:50pm - Drove 15 miles, temperature 48 degrees, immediately noticed much stronger regen over 30 MPH
8:50pm to 9:10pm - Parked in outdoor parking lot, temperature 47 degrees
9:10pm to 9:30pm - Drove 15 miles back home, temperature 45 degrees, stronger regen still apparent

So when do you think the battery was likely to be cooler or warmer in my travels yesterday? Also, my car has always displayed a regen limited message when it is cold, and the regen below 30 MPH has been much less when this occurred.

This is stronger data indicating there is an improvement. If only Tesla would provide more detailed release notes so we could be sure.

My car is a November 2018 build. The difference is not subtle, and it is not my imagination. What is wrong with you people that you need to be insulting?
Gee, I didn't get that impression at all. I thought the commenter was trying to be helpful. Different folks, different impression I guess. I was also thinking it is the weather or your imagination and that is not intended to be rude at all. :)

• Disagree
Reactions: voip-ninja
I suspect that it's a fix for the winter tire issue but it'd be cool if it's more than that. I had a dramatic loss of regen when I went to winter tires last fall. An update fixed it maybe around December or so (sorry, don't remember the version). I'm not sure if it's as strong as it was on the stock tires but it's much better. I'm still on 5.15 & I'll report back if I notice anything on the next update. Rwd LR.

I have a LR AWD that I picked up at the end of September. Currently I don't get very strong regen above 30, regardless of the battery temperature (now that it's getting up in the 60s and higher I'm not seeing limited regen as much). I'm still on 2019.5.15. I will post back here if I get the 8.3 update.

• Informative
Reactions: dusdev
I think it makes perfect sense to have stronger regen when you get the performance boost. The extra electricity needed for the boost has to come from some source without reducing the range. Regen is that source.

I also got 8.3 last night on my LR AWD. I didn't notice stronger regen nor higher performance when I drove it this morning. But the drive felt subtly different in ways that I can't quite put my finger on.

BTW, I lost my bass after 8.3 update. :(

I think it makes perfect sense to have stronger regen when you get the performance boost. The extra electricity needed for the boost has to come from some source without reducing the range. Regen is that source.

Help me out a bit more with that statement. Being an electronic design engineer for 40 years, I am having a hard time with that line of thinking. We are talking about 2 different things if I understand you correctly. ;)

Just installed the 2019.8.3 upgrade today, and immediately noticed stronger regen at speeds over 30 MPH. I have a LR AWD (non-performance), and in all the prior versions, the regen at speeds over 30 MPH was very mild, and then it would get much stronger as the speed decreased below 30 MPH. The regen is now significantly stronger, and seems more linear in response to the throttle and as the car gets to sub 30 MPH. I like this much better. Anyone else?
This is great news. Thanks for sharing. I have the same configuration, and have *always* wanted more regen.

Has anybody ever figured out if the regen is all on the rear motor in the AWD cars, or do we benefit from some front wheel braking as well?

The regen is now significantly stronger, and seems more linear in response to the throttle and as the car gets to sub 30 MPH. I like this much better. Anyone else?

I’d have to agree overall with the OP on this statement. Im not sure I’d say significantly stronger, but I do feel the regen is more pronounced than before. And it does seem more linear as well. I’m wondering if it’s somehow a positive “side effect” of whatever software tweaks Tesla did to include the 5% power increase.

Ironically, I don’t really notice the power increase at all, but I am enjoying the more linear regen :p

I also have a non-performance AWD, got my 8.3 update yesterday, previously was on 5.15. Stock all-seasons.

• Informative
Reactions: Scott7 and dusdev
This makes no sense. A "stronger" regen is not going to offset the power needs of a "performance boost." It would be awesome if it worked that way. Let's go for max regen so we can get 400 miles of range!

Hint: Regen is not a "source" of energy.

Hopefully it's more linear. Here is what mine on 2019.5.15 seems like.

0-8mph = none
9-20mph = high
21-30mph = medium high
30+mph = medium/medium low

Sounds about right. I wish that the vehicle would be able to bring the car to a complete stop (say, with creep off) in that lowest range. Even if at the bottom end it lightly applies the friction brakes. It's always a bit of a game for me to coast to the required stop and minimize friction braking manually. If the deceleration curse was more linear it would be an easier task.

Reactions: Scott7
I too have noticed with the new version stronger regeneration at higher speeds. My question: Does the brake light go on when you take your foot off the accelerator given you slow down as quickly as applying the brakes? Sorry to partially hijack the thread.

I think stronger regen makes logical sense when thinking about the new charging rates supported by the Model 3. If the allowable charge rate and curve has been increased for v3 SCs and enhanced v2 SCs, it makes sense that regen max output can also increase if the BMS is allowing greater charge and at higher states of charge. The power is just coming from the regen instead of an SC.

I too have noticed with the new version stronger regeneration at higher speeds. My question: Does the brake light go on when you take your foot off the accelerator given you slow down as quickly as applying the brakes? Sorry to partially hijack the thread.

Yes the brake light turns on when the car is decelerating (both from regen braking and friction braking). The car graphic on the display also shows the brake lights coming on.

Yes the brake light turns on when the car is decelerating (both from regen braking and friction braking). The car graphic on the display also shows the brake lights coming on.

Yes they do. You can see when the brake lights come on by viewing the car on the monitor.
With the caveat that they only turn on when you are decelerating “fast enough.”

Reactions: BrakeDome

Not necessarily. Range is based on the EPA test cycle, so how much power the car has available won't affect that, since the test cycle never uses full power.

It's possible that Tesla relaxed the impact of cold battery temperature on charging (regen) speeds, allowing higher charging speeds and thus regen when the battery is cool (40s and 50s).

I got 8.3 this morning. I'll take it for a spin this evening and see what's different..

Reactions: davedavedave