Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Indeed. I'm currently on the Tesla 19" winter package, but it's the same on the 21" OEM package, that I'll be switching back to shortly. Don't forget I've personally had two Plaids, both have behaved the same, and I've driven several others (friends and rentals).
Interesting. I'm pretty sure I don't have that. But, I'll turn mine off to see.

I'm sure they dropped in the microphones when designing the car and just assumed they could write the software later after shipping the car.... And it turned out to be a lot harder than they thought, so they gave up.

I'm sure they dropped in the microphones when designing the car and just assumed they could write the software later after shipping the car.... And it turned out to be a lot harder than they thought, so they gave up.
I’d almost bet my life this is true. Don’t forget this feature was advertised as coming with the car in early 2021 and it wasn’t even activated for what… 9 months after the first deliveries? 🤦🏻‍♂️

I wish someone (someone smarter than stupid me) would do an in-depth analysis on it and how it’s flat-out broken.

Transducers(mics) are on all 4 corners of suspension components. Cancellation speakers on top of seats. Why they seem to have no effect or the opposite desired effect is unknown. I have aftermarket wheels, tires, rotors which I thought was relevant. I recently switched from non T spec 295s in the front to T2 spec 295’s and it’s much quieter. Noise cancellation seems to do nothing now instead of amplifying it. Honestly car seems quiet enough with the OEM tires to not really care.

I’d almost bet my life this is true. Don’t forget this feature was advertised as coming with the car in early 2021 and it wasn’t even activated for what… 9 months after the first deliveries? 🤦🏻‍♂️

I wish someone (someone smarter than stupid me) would do an in-depth analysis on it and how it’s flat-out broken.
ANC was advertised. We got broken ANR instead.

Transducers(mics) are on all 4 corners of suspension components. Cancellation speakers on top of seats. Why they seem to have no effect or the opposite desired effect is unknown. I have aftermarket wheels, tires, rotors which I thought was relevant. I recently switched from non T spec 295s in the front to T2 spec 295’s and it’s much quieter. Noise cancellation seems to do nothing now instead of amplifying it. Honestly car seems quiet enough with the OEM tires to not really care.
The amplification of noise isn’t your tires/wheels, I can tell you that.

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
Yup, those people are 100% full of it. Every. Single. Plaid. - I've driven - it's non-functional or increases the noise in the cabin. I'll pretty much stake my life on the fact that it's flat-out broken.

Oh, and I'm still bitter that Tesla *enabled* the feature in the background of our cars before it was officially released as part of a software update. For months I was convinced something was wrong with my tires, - or something mechanical, since ARNR was enabled over the air without my permission, and I had no way to disable it since there was no toggle/official release of it at that point! Absolute travesty... Never occurred to me the noise was coming out of the speakers. Grrrr...
Can the ANR (i.e. brokoen ANC) be turned off in the current software?

Two steps forward, one back.

I've got a few things left to get fixed and I'll be happy with the car... Obviously, fixing the rattling broken door panel. That should be easy. They also said mobile service would replace the center console again to get the light working.

Then, I need them to fix my creaking suspension. They said it was normal, but I'm going to keep pushing them to replace stuff until the creaking goes away. Right now it creaks over every bump. I'm not anticipating they will fix the half shaft vibrations, but I can lower the car again to get rid of them. That will be the last issue.
Did this ever get resolved? The creaking? Mine is starting it in rear drivers side(left). I put in a service visit and for a rattle in b pillar, and creaking, they want to possibly charge me $492 just to investigate! What the hell man! It’s going in for a door handle retraction isssue mainly. $260 just to investigate the rattle?????

Reactions: jebinc
Did this ever get resolved? The creaking? Mine is starting it in rear drivers side(left). I put in a service visit and for a rattle in b pillar, and creaking, they want to possibly charge me $492 just to investigate! What the hell man! It’s going in for a door handle retraction isssue mainly. $260 just to investigate the rattle?????
No! I've had it in three times for this issue. I'm going back again on Monday. They claim they can't reproduce it. I've sent videos and sound recordings. This time I'll drive with them. My seat base is also creaking now.

They are also trying to charge me as well. I told them to take that *sugar* off there right now. I'm not paying for warranty work! I've been in for service 10 times.

My 2023 S plaid, the ambient light toggle does absolutely nothing. Was in the car the other night checking and in pitch black garage.. I wonder if my lights are non functioning? Footwell is very dark.

What lights are supposed to go on/off with this toggle?
Footwells front and rear, - while parked there’s additional lightning under the central rear display. And then also the door pockets front and rear illuminate.

Well, I believe you.

We could try to sort out why such a difference experience but it doesn’t sound like that’s an option.

Tesla has screwed up a lot of assembly issues. All it would take is one ANR cancelation speaker to have reversed polarity. Or perhaps Plaids have a consistent issue around it.

Like I said I heard it screw up badly once. Didn’t know what the hell was happening. I thought I blew a motor or something. Took a wild guess and turned ANR off and it stopped. Freaked me out for a bit. Turned it back on next day and it’s never happened since.

Maybe different height people have different experience.

Maybe it’s the type of roads you drive on. Or the speeds you drive.

Well, I believe you.

We could try to sort out why such a difference experience but it doesn’t sound like that’s an option.

Tesla has screwed up a lot of assembly issues. All it would take is one ANR cancelation speaker to have reversed polarity. Or perhaps Plaids have a consistent issue around it.

Like I said I heard it screw up badly once. Didn’t know what the hell was happening. I thought I blew a motor or something. Took a wild guess and turned ANR off and it stopped. Freaked me out for a bit. Turned it back on next day and it’s never happened since.

Maybe different height people have different experience.

Maybe it’s the type of roads you drive on. Or the speeds you drive.
It was so inconsistent and aggravating, I turned it off permanently, like FSD(j). J^2

Personally I use FSD every day and love it. I particularly like the voice feedback function and I hope Tesla is using AI / LLMs to process all the feedback and interpret/re-label the related video feeds. Etc.

But even so FSD is excellent if you have a bit of a curious mindset. I don’t think it’s at all ready for like… idk, users who want a chauffeur.