Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y Performance - Tire Rotations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it okay to ignore the tire rotation requirement in the owner's manual? The performance model has the staggered tires that are different sizes, so you can only do a side to side alignment. A side to side alignment doesn't really add a lot of benefit in my opinion.

Is it more cost effective to just drive the car until the tires wear out and replace them? Spending $50 every 6,000 miles to do a side by side rotation seems like a waste of money but wanted to ask the other owners for their opinion.

On a side note, do the tires wear pretty evenly between the front and the back? I use it on the chill mode and don't floor it. In my past, my FWD cars always had the front wear faster, while my RWD cars seemed to wear pretty evenly. This is my first AWD car.

Tires are about $1,500 for a set of 4 and last about 30,000 miles... So, tires are worth about 5 cents a mile...

My personal idea is to not do a side by side rotation, but rather remove tires from the wheels and switch sides, so that the inside of the tire is now on the outside. I would do this less often - say every 10 to 15 thousand miles. At this same time, the tire/wheel assembly would also be rebalanced. My goal is to do this only once or twice during the life span of the tires.

Like you, I drive in chill mode... my experience in staggered tires is on my 2017 X which has 75,000 miles on it - I have replaced all 4 tires twice now... so, I am getting around 35,000 miles on them. Front and back seem to wear out pretty much at the same time. The real problem is wearing the inside of the tires (vs outside edge).

My Y has 15,000 miles on it now and the tires are doing pretty well. They are the LR standard size, so I can rotate in an X pattern.

Reactions: mcsenerd