Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Highland M3 side-by-side comparison videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I test drove a M3 today and had a few minutes to do some side-by-side comparisons pointing out what stood out to me, a recent 2023 purchaser. Rudimentary videos, but not long.

Crazy smooth over speed bumps even with 45 psi in demo car tires.

Why could I not change creep, roll, hold modes? Is that gone on highland? Or moved? Or removed on demo cars?

Lastly, 11 seconds of steering noise.

One longer video is still uploading.

Well, I guess this settles it on the Creep Roll Hold setting. It’s gone. I wonder what they have the 2024 set in. I hope they don’t end up taking it away from my 2023

289FE624-D4E3-4A15-9434-A8FA1AD32F1A.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: primedive
Thanks for sharing this comparison. When I was listening to you talk about the stalk removal and the new way to change gears, it reminded me of the time when Apple removed the home button.

I hated it. I was so confused. Why would they do this? Today? I cannot imaging having that huge, pointless button there 😁

Sometimes change takes time. I am totally used it the controls in my X and wouldn’t want the stalk back at this point.

The removal of hold is puzzling. I love this feature and it makes one pedal driving possible. There must be a reason why they made this change. I’d love to know more.

Thanks for sharing this comparison. When I was listening to you talk about the stalk removal and the new way to change gears, it reminded me of the time when Apple removed the home button.

I hated it. I was so confused. Why would they do this? Today? I cannot imaging having that huge, pointless button there 😁

Sometimes change takes time. I am totally used it the controls in my X and wouldn’t want the stalk back at this point.

The removal of hold is puzzling. I love this feature and it makes one pedal driving possible. There must be a reason why they made this change. I’d love to know more.
Hold is automatic. I use the one pedal driving, slows to a stop and icon for hold displays on screen.

Dan

Reactions: ken_neth
Why would anyone want creep or roll option? Those options make vehicle act like a ICE vehicle.

Dan
I use hold myself, but I've seen some arguments for creep and roll mode. Some people have to park in very tight quarters and prefer using creep so they can modulate the car with the brake rather than the accelerator. Roll mode can be useful if you actually want the car to roll, like when backing your boat up into the lake or something like this.

There's times I'd like to put hold into roll myself, but tapping on the brakes doesn't seem to do anything. Hold mode will always hold.

My car doesn't have a low-regen mode which is something else that Tesla has taken away. I live in a climate where we get a lot of freezing over this time of year, and it gets really old having to mash the accelerator so I can brake hard and scrub the ice and salt off of the brakes. Low-regen would also be safer during slippery conditions -- the natural instinct is to lift your foot off the accelerator and sometimes you want to coast instead of having your rear swing out.

Having all of these features removed so that the range numbers can be gamed is getting old.

Ooooh, I misunderstood. I thought they rolled. So, it’s hold and no other option. That’s great news. Who would want roll or creep?
It's a personal preference.
I like the Roll option, prefer to have standard regen turn off around 10 mph and I have more control of when I stop.
I haven't driven a newer model, so I don't know how the regen stop feels.
Creep I could take or leave.

But I don't think roll or creep are that big a deal. So what if people want those options. It's a driving experience item.
Consider it a positive that we have a choice. Not a negative that they make our cars more "ICE-like". That seems petty.
I'd rather have the options and not use them then not have them and want them.
Not sure why Tesla would remove them, unless it makes FSD easier to program.

I have a '15 MS. There's a big difference in feel when I go from standard regen to the lesser mode.
Do the newer models have a more progressive braking? Does it lessen as you near zero mph? How abrupt are the stops?

If nothing else, I like the rolling stops because I know my brakes are working.
If you're using a mode that allows you to literally only use 1 pedal all the time, how do you know your primary brakes are going to work in an emergency situation? Just a thought.

I use hold myself, but I've seen some arguments for creep and roll mode. Some people have to park in very tight quarters and prefer using creep so they can modulate the car with the brake rather than the accelerator. Roll mode can be useful if you actually want the car to roll, like when backing your boat up into the lake or something like this.

There's times I'd like to put hold into roll myself, but tapping on the brakes doesn't seem to do anything. Hold mode will always hold.

My car doesn't have a low-regen mode which is something else that Tesla has taken away. I live in a climate where we get a lot of freezing over this time of year, and it gets really old having to mash the accelerator so I can brake hard and scrub the ice and salt off of the brakes. Low-regen would also be safer during slippery conditions -- the natural instinct is to lift your foot off the accelerator and sometimes you want to coast instead of having your rear swing out.

Having all of these features removed so that the range numbers can be gamed is getting old.
Exactly!
Better to have the choices. More options for more scenarios. Seems like a no-brainer. Especially since these are software options. They cost nothing to have in the cars. I'm sure the programming is a bit more complicated, but come on, that's a minor detail. And they've already had it! Not like they're writing something new.

I like the Roll option, prefer to have standard regen turn off around 10 mph and I have more control of when I stop.

But I don't think roll or creep are that big a deal. So what if people want those options. It's a driving experience item.
Consider it a positive that we have a choice. Not a negative that they make our cars more "ICE-like". That seems petty.

I have a '15 MS. There's a big difference in feel when I go from standard regen to the lesser mode.
Do the newer models have a more progressive braking? Does it lessen as you near zero mph? How abrupt are the stops?

If you're using a mode that allows you to literally only use 1 pedal all the time, how do you know your primary brakes are going to work in an emergency situation? Just a thought.
Thanks, I just realized I should probably switch to roll mode this time of year...

Reactions: ChooseFreedom

I agree with you. It's always best to have more choices, not less.

The EV I traded in Mazda MX30, you had to select regen mode every single time you got into it. Even with full regen selection, it would not come to complete stop, it will creep. Also had to select drive, reverse manually.
So make as well say drive characteristics same as ICE cars.

Now with the 2024 Model 3, no less longer have to press start, no key fob to carry, put foot on brake and car automatically selected drive or reverse. Take off seat belt, goes into park.
This feels more high tech, futuristic.
The opposite of the average ICE car.
Also like the clean look with no stalks.
Plenty of voice commands, so rarely need to touch screen.

For me roll or creep reminds of of ICE car, no thanks

Dan

@mknmike Creep and Hold mode removed via a software update a few months back - not just for highland but others as well. I recall it had to do with some folks complaining that they were not getting stated range - software update was to take variability out of the range equation which would (should?) lead to more accurate (and better) range figures.

@mknmike Creep and Hold mode removed via a software update a few months back - not just for highland but others as well. I recall it had to do with some folks complaining that they were not getting stated range - software update was to take variability out of the range equation which would (should?) lead to more accurate (and better) range figures.
There are always going to be variables when calculating range.
I'd like to see what difference it makes to range by adding regen from 10-0 mph.
It can't possibly be enough to make much difference at all.

I still believe it's more about programming simplicity for whatever they're currently working on, some part of FSD probably.
But there's no way it's about range. That makes zero sense.

My car doesn't have a low-regen mode which is something else that Tesla has taken away. I live in a climate where we get a lot of freezing over this time of year, and it gets really old having to mash the accelerator so I can brake hard and scrub the ice and salt off of the brakes.
Since you speak of the removal of "all these features" may I presume that your car is a so-called "Highland" M3?

If so you might want to review your operator manual section "Brake Disk Wiping" which describes the automatic action when cold and wet weather is detected to remove water etc. from the surface of the brake discs.

A thorough reading of those instructions, which I've found only in the Tesla app and only in information pertaining to my soon to arrive 2024 M3LR, (the manual for my soon traded 2022 M3LR holds only info pertaining to that car, of course) will show that rather than having removed features Tesla has changed and (I think) improved them.

I know... I've always been a "What? Read the book?" Sure will....not" kind of guy but in the case of this car I've found it easily refutes most or all of the negative and alarmist statements about the cars in forums .

No, I just test drove it a couple of times. I have a Y. "Brake disk wiping" doesn't really affect the scenario that I'm talking about. When the car has been parked for some time and temperatures have been swinging above and below the freezing point, the brakes start to get frozen over. There's a lot of salt that gets dumped on the roads that can also end up on the brakes. They have to be used and rather firmly in order to get the stuff off, otherwise they start to bind up.

A few accelerate and firm braking cycles takes care of it and the brakes work fine afterwards, but having the option to turn regen down to low would be better.

I test drove a M3 today and had a few minutes to do some side-by-side comparisons pointing out what stood out to me, a recent 2023 purchaser. Rudimentary videos, but not long.

Crazy smooth over speed bumps even with 45 psi in demo car tires.

Why could I not change creep, roll, hold modes? Is that gone on highland? Or moved? Or removed on demo cars?

Lastly, 11 seconds of steering noise.

One longer video is still uploading.
Only time I've seen an on-line review stating that there are no charging options in the front center console. SMH, what a joke. Is this the rear wheel drive or dual motor? If the former, may be the cost cutting Tesla plan.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: primedive