Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

70d test drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
image.jpg
I was fortunate enough to take part in the Southport, CT TESLA test drive yesterday on April 14th. The car I drove was a brand new 70D in the black, no pano roof and pretty much a standard car other than Next Gen tan seats with Obeche Gloss interior trim with 19" Cyclone wheels. No other options. This was the first 70D to arrive in CT and the story goes that it was under full white plastic wrap in the Milford, CT service center for 3 days prior to the 70D being announced.

I have driven the following S models over the last year:
P85+, 60, 85 and P85D.

As I mentioned in my P85D test review, the Next Gen seats are really a fine set of seats for me. I am 6' tall and am NOT an emaciated specimen, weighing in at 240 pounds (pure muscle.... yah right!)

This car had the coil springs and was very happy on the potholed Southport streets. Wh/mile on my drive was 308 in 100% city traffic with lots of stop and go.

Interior was the standard with the tan fabric roof. This was the first S that I drove without the Pano roof. It did not feel cramped at all, the Tan interior perhaps giving that open "feel". Again, this was the first S that I drove with the standard (non-Premium) interior and it looked fine but the door sides, did not have the plush leather that the Premium Interior affords.

The car was quite peppy and quick. I gave it full accelerator thrice and it did no dissapoint at all. Breaks were firm and sure stopping.

I had pleanty of time for the test drive as the following driver had to cancel their appointment. This allowed me to really play with the driver's displays and standard sound system as well as the TACC as well as the regen settings. I found (for me) that the regen set on the minimum, in city driving was preferable.

The fit and finish were superior. Much like the previous P85D, I feel that Tesla has really improved the tightness and noise abatement of the car. There were no squeaks or any rattles of any kind. I was not aware of any front motor noise at all.

I feel the 70D is a fine model S. And the way this specimen was outfitted, with minimum options, it is quite affordable as far as S's go.

Let's see if I can attach a picture from the iCloud here....

Thanks for the review!
I went to test drive the 85D, and I almost ordered it. I wanted to sleep it over and when I woke up there was a new car on the website. All the configs changed and I decided to order the 70D. I am glad to hear it was a nice drive.

Thanks for the review!
I went to test drive the 85D, and I almost ordered it. I wanted to sleep it over and when I woke up there was a new car on the website. All the configs changed and I decided to order the 70D. I am glad to hear it was a nice drive.

I was simply waiting to order my 85 to align closer to my A5 lease finishing in July. I also decided to order the 70D. Will be getting it one month early because I wanted to make sure I was able to secure a silver 70D.

Congrats on your purchase! Also, thank you OP for the nice review. Looking forward to the car.

Thanks for the review!

I am certain you will be very happy with the 70D. Enjoy it when it comes and many happy and safe miles and smiles!

Thanks again for the review. I'm really torn between the 70D and S85. I'm in Florida and I think I'd prefer the range and extra frunk to the the AWD. But, with Tesla appearing to go with an AWD line up and possibly phasing out the S85, It may be prudent for me to just go with the 70D.

It's hard for me to imagine that they would phase out the S85, their best selling car for the past 3 years, but I think it's inevitable. The AWD is simply more efficient than the RWD.

It's hard for me to imagine that they would phase out the S85, their best selling car for the past 3 years, but I think it's inevitable. The AWD is simply more efficient than the RWD.

It's also about streamlining the manufacturing process. Speaking with some reps last week the RWD only version saw it's sales plummet once the AWD versions were released. If no one is buying might as well simplify the line and make AWD standard.

Thanks again for the review. I'm really torn between the 70D and S85. I'm in Florida and I think I'd prefer the range and extra frunk to the the AWD. But, with Tesla appearing to go with an AWD line up and possibly phasing out the S85, It may be prudent for me to just go with the 70D.

The fact that it might be phased out in the future isn't a reason to not buy it now. If the extra range and cargo space are more valuable to you than all wheel drive, then go with the S85. Keep in mind the S85 will also charge faster at a supercharger. Performance will be effectively the same as the 70D.