Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90D with 5 seats confirmed for nearly 2 months. What's going on?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know that the 5 seaters aren't expected until "mid 2016" but this is getting ridiculous. My order has been confirmed for nearly 2 months, no update on the 5 seats. I can't imagine why they're taking so long, all you have to do is ship a car without the third row seat. And no I'm not interested in getting the 6/7 seats. It's strange that given the recent design studio opening to the public and only ~3000 Xs built that they're not rushing to fulfill CONFIRMED orders. At this point it shouldn't be just the performance or just the 6/7 seaters getting order fulfillments.

Does anyone have any update on the 5 seats?

I know that the 5 seaters aren't expected until "mid 2016" but this is getting ridiculous. . . .

I have held a reservation for a 5-seat Model X for almost three years. (At this point, there is no apparent benefit to letting Tesla continue to hold my reservation deposit.) I have configured, but have not ordered. Several reasons are keeping me from ordering. I would like to:
1) spend more time with the MX than my 15 minute test drive allowed;
2) have some idea of how Tesla will resolves whatever problems it is facing in producing the 5-seater (what will be the configuration, specs, etc.); and
3) know when Tesla will actually start to produce the 5-seater and when it would likely be delivered (how many people got ahead of me since Tesla opened configuration to everyone, even without a reservation).

There is no reliable information as to when (or if?) Tesla will actually start to produce the 5-seater. Two people at Tesla told me that if I ordered my 5-seater now, I could expect to get it: 1) in the second half of the year, and 2) before the end of the year. This is contrary to the “mid-2016" currently indicated on the Tesla web site. I have not ordered and will not order until I have sufficient, reliable information.

Join the club, unfortunately. I have six-seat P90DL confirmed from 3.5 months ago that was supposed to be delivered in March. Others have been left waiting even longer, while sometimes people are getting their cars with a relatively short turnaround. There is no rhyme or reason to what is going on, and the more you try to understand it rationally, the more frustrated you will get, if you are like me. I'm trying to just let the whole thing go at this point - I think by the time I actually get the car I will have completely stopped thinking about it, so it might actually come as a pleasant surprise again.

I know that the 5 seaters aren't expected until "mid 2016" but this is getting ridiculous. My order has been confirmed for nearly 2 months, no update on the 5 seats. I can't imagine why they're taking so long, all you have to do is ship a car without the third row seat. And no I'm not interested in getting the 6/7 seats. It's strange that given the recent design studio opening to the public and only ~3000 Xs built that they're not rushing to fulfill CONFIRMED orders. At this point it shouldn't be just the performance or just the 6/7 seaters getting order fulfillments.

Like y'all, I've had a confirmed order for 5-seater since 1/11/16, and wait and watch while the 6-7 seaters are stuck in Fremont or localities waiting for the recall part for the 3rd seat, while Tesla could be pumping out 5 seaters by the batch load. IDK what is going on either. Like someone else noted, its not just a folded down 3rd row to cover. The 5 seater does not have the heater or AC for the rear, which may make some engineer lose sleep. Not me. I really would like to see mid-2016 mean mid-2016 and not slip into Tesla time, but like all bad news today, I'm sure I will be disappointed by the whole process, like most of our brethren have experienced. Seems like if you haven't been disappointed by Tesla communications, you haven't been paying attention....please, Elon, build a quality car when you promised you would.

Major Grrrrr. What gives? More profit margin on 6-7 seats? Unable to devote engineers to figure out how to eliminate 2nd HVAC system? Not enough confirmed reservists for 5 seat to motivate TM to actually push the car to the production floor? Trying to design folding 2nd row? There's gotta be a reasonable rationale as to why TM is not working on the 5 seater...

Major Grrrrr. What gives? More profit margin on 6-7 seats? Unable to devote engineers to figure out how to eliminate 2nd HVAC system? Not enough confirmed reservists for 5 seat to motivate TM to actually push the car to the production floor? Trying to design folding 2nd row? There's gotta be a reasonable rationale as to why TM is not working on the 5 seater...
The same engineer that is redesigning the 5-seat model has probably just finished redesigning the 3rd row latch issue. The engineer then needs to rework the cargo area, rework the HVAC and finish the new 2nd row folding seat design. This engineer probably hasn't taken a vacation in 3 years, hasn't showered in weeks and has no hope in hell of finding a partner (or their partner left 2 years ago). But I'll let him/her know that you're anxiously awaiting the 5-seat design.

Here's an update for everyone. Since yesterday, the design studio now shows "late 2016" for the 5 seat option on new orders

Thanks for the update, DocZ. This is news to me. Since I haven’t ordered yet, my order will obviously be a “new order.” I wonder what value, if any, my years-old reservation might have. My guess is: none.

I would appreciate any thoughts about whether I should just cancel and get my deposit back? I would like to continue to support Tesla, but this is getting ludicrous.

Thanks for the update, DocZ. This is news to me. Since I haven’t ordered yet, my order will obviously be a “new order.” I wonder what value, if any, my years-old reservation might have. My guess is: none.

I would appreciate any thoughts about whether I should just cancel and get my deposit back? I would like to continue to support Tesla, but this is getting ludicrous.

To be honest, I would cancel and get my deposit back. I regret confirming my order because now it means I'll have to eat my $5000 deposit. Or if I want the 6 seats then I incur a $500 fee and then pay an additional $3000 to get my car sooner, which is ridiculous to ask customers to do that. I want the configuration that I ordered and I expect to get it in a reasonable time from if I'm dropping $100k+.

Reactions: Out4aDuck
To be honest, I would cancel and get my deposit back. I regret confirming my order because now it means I'll have to eat my $5000 deposit. Or if I want the 6 seats then I incur a $500 fee and then pay an additional $3000 to get my car sooner, which is ridiculous to ask customers to do that. I want the configuration that I ordered and I expect to get it in a reasonable time from if I'm dropping $100k+.
Another user on a different forum was able to get the $500 change fee waived by a manager , they claimed that their decision to buy the car was initially made based on the previously advertised information. But if 5 seater is what you want/need then you will probably be waiting unfortunately.

Another user on a different forum was able to get the $500 change fee waived by a manager , they claimed that their decision to buy the car was initially made based on the previously advertised information. But if 5 seater is what you want/need then you will probably be waiting unfortunately.

Either way, I have to spend an additional $3000 to get the option that I DIDN'T want. And I get that things come available a little later or whatever....but we're 7 months post launch for Gods sake.

Either way, I have to spend an additional $3000 to get the option that I DIDN'T want. And I get that things come available a little later or whatever....but we're 7 months post launch for Gods sake.
I hear ya! If it makes any difference I believe there will be a general delay of 2-3 weeks for all models. What I heard today from my DS.