Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A message to this forum about V9.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m a big fan of the V9 update....like how you have the option to have music only take up a quarter of the screen vs half....also love auto lane changes - removed restrictions to closed access roads and much smoother operation and display on the dash (model s). Speaking of dash - love seeing the semis vs motorcycle vs car (AP 2.0). All welcomed changes - all positive from my perspective. Seems more intuitive. Every time apple changes UI on IOS it is an improvement although it takes a little and I mean a little time to adjust.

The only problem with that is that ServiceHelpNA implies that I am expecting a fix. There is nothing they can do about design choices. I would absolutely report the lock example you offered up. But something like: "The map is always on top, which is highly distracting and dangerous to me. It did not do that before, how do I make it go away?" I don't think that is a reasonable service request.

edit: But you know, I will give the service folks a chance at it. Might be fun :)

In my case, the update has only happened to my 2015 which is in the process of going back. I have not yet been offered the update to my X. I will decline it for now.

I sent a message to ServiceHelpNA and cc'd my local SC. A local SA replied and advised that V9 is working as intended, with only a single app available at a time along with the map. Typically that single app is the media player. He did say they have been getting quite a bit of negative feedback about that setup limitation.

I asked about how to submit owner feedback and was informed the preferred channel is through Social Media, facebook or Twitter. Neither of which I have the slightest interest in starting. The only other thing he suggested is a phone call to Customer Service. I have yet to see how that goes <sigh>.

I’m a big fan of the V9 update....like how you have the option to have music only take up a quarter of the screen vs half....also love auto lane changes - removed restrictions to closed access roads and much smoother operation and display on the dash (model s). Speaking of dash - love seeing the semis vs motorcycle vs car (AP 2.0). All welcomed changes - all positive from my perspective. Seems more intuitive. Every time apple changes UI on IOS it is an improvement although it takes a little and I mean a little time to adjust.

Except none of the things you mentioned are changes. They have all been there for years. Except now everything you want to do covers up the media interface. Let alone the fact you can no longer send the map/nav to the background.

This is not true. V9 has either the same number of taps or less number of taps to do everything.
  • Controls and Settings are combined. 1 less tap in V9
  • Front and Rear Climate controls are now together. 1 less tap in V9
  • Music icon always visible. 1 less tap in V9
  • App launcher opens last opened app if you swipe up on it. 1 less tap in V9
  • Map always visible, so you will never have to tap to open the map or navigate again.
  • I'll admit controls and settings appear to be well thought out in V9, I know where they are up to V8 but they're not all intuitive.
  • I don't have rear climate in Model S, so it actually takes up more space and the controls are more spread out.
  • My music icon is also always visible; one tap or swipe and it can be top or bottom.
  • All my apps are one tap or swipe, whether it is the most recently used or not. 1 less tap than V9 for the majority of apps.
  • Map always visible - at the loss of a customized experience. Less customization is not what I'm expecting in software updates. I don't always need the map, and it should be even less necessary with more autopilot features.
I'm glad you like V9, but it's not for me.

V9 allows a passenger with the app some control over media. Never necessary, and if you have kids maybe not something you want. I have had a passenger ask me to hit the voice button; it works great from any seat.
V9 features storage of dash cam footage. I have no front camera.
V9 has improved autopilot. I don't have the hardware.
V9 allows transfer of routes from a smart phone. I don't have NAV.
V9 allows you to initiate firmware updates from your smartphone. OK, convenient but not that big of a deal really. I can wait, especially after the recent major releases.
V9 introduces TeslAtari - I was looking forward to this. Too bad for me.

Honest question for anyone with V9 installed:
In V9, do the map control buttons (especially +/-) disappear automatically while you're driving?
(I asked this question in one of those "complaint" threads, but never got an answer; just replies from others that don't like this particular function either.)

Honest question for anyone with V9 installed:
In V9, do the map control buttons (especially +/-) disappear automatically while you're driving?
(I asked this question in one of those "complaint" threads, but never got an answer; just replies from others that don't like this particular function either.)

Yes, they do disappear. Surprisingly the header does not, anymore. So the profile name, homelink still show on the top.

In Spectrum's defense, you would only need to have been on TMC for the past week in order to be sick and tired of the V9 complaint threads.

It's the internet. These are user forums, anyone who's been on here long enough knows these complaint threads well (and the V9 complaints are legit).

Newbs might want to reset expectations... and get a lay of the land before giving the middle finger to everyone around.

The sycophant years are gone for TMC. It really is OK now to be critical of Tesla... Elon is doing a much better job at decreasing TSLA than our little rants.

While I completely support your thread. This one is ANOTHER v9 thread in a sea of v9 complaint threads. Its prob going to add MORE to the noise than help.

I suggest folks go to the thread I created:
MODS. Please combine all the v9 complaint threads.

And start putting links to all the 150 v9 threads so that the MODs can merge them all and reduce the clutter.

Folks should be allowed to complain. But having 150 threads is frustrating.

• Love
Reactions: Bogobec and GreenT
Moderator note: Moved some inflammatory/trolling posts (and various responses, both snippy and non-snippy) to Snippiness.

Personal attacks on other forum members is against TMC rules and will lead to probation or banning. Please be respectful of forum members who hold different viewpoints.

Thank you,

Bruce.

While I like the V9 changes and don't see the need for the two apps (other than nav) open at once, I'm surprised that Tesla doesn't offer any sort of customization. Tesla isn't the only company out there with a digital screen for the front display, and some of the others do allow you to choose different styles. Doesn't seem like it would be a big deal to allow people to choose whether they want the new or old interface, or even do additional customization.

LOVE V9. I couldn't bring up 3 screens at once before. Now I can.

Screen Shot 2018-10-12 at 3.28.26 PM.png

I can’t belive how so many of the v9 reviews pertain to just display interface (which the interface is great by the way!). But what about the improved autopilot function?! Feels wayyyyyyyy more confident, the auto lane change is wayyyyyyy more awesome and the way the car slows down when coming up to stopped cars on the road is just amazingness all the way! Karpathy hasn’t been in the project for very long and it’s come so far! Go Tesla Team!