Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ads which illustrate why I am so pissed about Tesla's marketing of the 160

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not so sure that's what Tesla wants to do since charging at 30kW to 40kW would be exactly the speed I would need for the 40kW pack to become my only car and do most every "long-range" trip I would need. The 60kW pack with the Norwegian surcharge would be too expensive. So I would say for this customer that is the difference between a sale or not.
Easy to understand for me and for Tesla, would that product reflect badly on them, not at all.

Cobos

Tesla will have two products for you:
1) A Bluestar, which admittedly would be nice if it already existed, or
2) a 60 kWh pack at a reduced price as soon as batteries prices come down

Until then, there will always be some gap that someone can't fill, and even then, there will be a lot who will say even the 40 kWh pack is still too expensive, they should offer 30 kWh.

As I wrote elsewhere, all charging stations funded by Transnova are required to have extra capacity for future 3-phase charging. Every CHAdeMO station funded by Transnova is essentially also a 44 kW 3-phase charger, only the connector is missing, pending standardization.

Well, since the Model S supposedly won't come with more than a 20kW charger anywhere, I'd advise you to buy the second charger upgrade. This way you can draw 63A from one phase of the 44kW AC charging points, for a total of 14.5kW. All you should need is a Mennekes-Tesla2 cable, which I seriously hope they will offer at european delivery start. Anything else would be a major fail.

I'm not so sure that's what Tesla wants to do since charging at 30kW to 40kW would be exactly the speed I would need for the 40kW pack to become my only car and do most every "long-range" trip I would need. The 60kW pack with the Norwegian surcharge would be too expensive. So I would say for this customer that is the difference between a sale or not.
Easy to understand for me and for Tesla, would that product reflect badly on them, not at all.
Avoiding unsatisfied customers (and protecting the brand) is often more important than obtaining customers.

In other words, they'd rather you not buy a car you'll be unhappy with. Especially in the early stages, it's better to have 5 happy customers than 100 unhappy ones.

There is more overall strain on a smaller pack during common use, so the warranty is already reduced to 100k miles. Charging at 1C reduces lifetime even for larger packs. But larger packs have more buffer in their mileage, and in their tolerance. So I think they'd have to limit it to 35 kW or even 30 kW, and that isn't worth the trouble. It is not a good compromise, not the kind of thing Tesla wants to sell.

What's so difficult to understand about that?

A smaller pack will give you less total lifetime distance than a larger one. That doesn't mean that the stress on the pack is higher. If a small and a large pack are cycled at identical C rates, they will degrade equally when measured in capacity percentage remaining at a given time.

If you buy a small pack, you buy a small total lifetime distance too, and of course the warranty must reflect that.

My statement that they don't want to support QC at reduced rate for the 40 kWh pack might be a bit simplistic, though - maybe they would ideally like to support QC, but don't have the time or manpower to implement the required software and tamper-proof warranty management system, for instance. Or perhaps the gain is too small compared to the investment. But I can't see any reasons directly related to battery lifetime, as long as charging rate is limited to the same C rate as the largest battery.

Last edited:
My statement that they don't want to support QC at reduced rate for the 40 kWh pack might be a bit simplistic, though - maybe they would ideally like to support QC, but don't have the time or manpower to implement the required software and tamper-proof warranty management system, for instance. Or perhaps the gain is too small compared to the investment.

It does seem to be simple... all indications are they don't want to go below 100,000 miles, not even optionally.

Just speculating, going further might reduce the lifetime to the point where some might have to buy a new pack before they get cheaper, at which point you might as well buy a 60 kWh pack in the first place. There are those who drive 50,000 in two years, so the first ones might show up when Bluestar launches... do I need to say more? The media would just report... broken at 75,000 ...and at the point who will care if they were pushing buttons confirming their agreement.

Could it be as simple as Tesla not wanting to build and support more super chargers than needed to service the higher end cars? If Tesla allows the base model to super charge then the few super chargers would be tied up more of the time.
The other issue is that in order to provide a real supercharger network/highway that works for the 160 packs, Tesla will need the roughly double the density of the chargers.

Norbert: Not everyone has the money to just "buy the 60 kW pack in the first place".

Stop: If they just supported what is becoming the de facto standard, they wouldn't have to bother building out a network of chargers for 160 mile range as others will do it for them.

Tesla will have two products for you:
1) A Bluestar, which admittedly would be nice if it already existed, or
2) a 60 kWh pack at a reduced price as soon as batteries prices come down

Until then, there will always be some gap that someone can't fill, and even then, there will be a lot who will say even the 40 kWh pack is still too expensive, they should offer 30 kWh.
Well I suppose it depends on if Tesla wants to sell the 40kW pack in Norway or not.
One of our larger newspapers list the expected price of the base model at about $75 000, since most normal families might stretch their car budget to about $65 000 if this pricing stays they loose out of a lot of sales I dare say in Norway. If we are talking $75k for the 40kW model then the 60kW battery is way out of my league and also for most other families. Hence they need the 40kW model to be quicker charged to succeed in our market. If they price it agressively they might be able to pull quite a bit of potential customers over into the 60kW pack.

BTW: a 60kW pack at $10 000 difference is what I would call reduced price :)

Cobos

If they just supported what is becoming the de facto standard, they wouldn't have to bother building out a network of chargers for 160 mile range as others will do it for them.
Do you mean CHAdeMO? I agree, that would have been the simpler thing for them to do but they decided against it for some reason. In the US, there's also the new J1772 DC fast charging standard that should come out this year sometime. Since the Model S will support J1772 with an adapter, is it possible for them to also support the J1772 DC charging or would those extra pins of the J1772 DC plug make that impossible? We'll see what Tesla decides to do I guess. I do hope they support both CHAdeMO and the new J1772 DC plug as well as that would serve most of the world.

I do hope they support both CHAdeMO and the new J1772 DC plug as well as that would serve most of the world.

I'd expect that *in general* Tesla will provide adapters in so far as any standard is actually deployed on the road. I do not expect Tesla to help push those standards with announcements in advance, in fact I think the SAE would be wise to adopt Tesla's connector as standard.