Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Again, Colorado trying to avoid paying EV credit. This demand is beyond reasonable.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A couple of years ago, after filing my return, they sent me a letter requesting copies of the 4 checks I sent to them, and they cashed, for quarterly estimated payments. In my cover letter back to them, with the copies of the checks, I asked them how could they possibly not have record of receiving and cashing the checks. Of course, this question was not answered when I got their "your documentation is satisfactory" letter.

Oh wow, you just refreshed my memory of a year or two ago, when they demanded proof I had paid my estimated payments each quarter. The ones I paid ON THEIR WEBSITE. They really are either completely inept, or willfully trying to avoid paying refunds. In either case it's unacceptable.

I filed my CO taxes electronically on 2/20 with PDF attachments of all required documents for my Leaf. I heard nothing until a few weeks ago when I got a letter asking for all of the documentation for my Leaf. I tried to upload to their website, but it wants a PIN number. They'll email the PIN to the address on file (no problem there), except I never get it. Not in spam, nowhere. I haven't really taken the time to deal with that one. I promptly faxed the forms with all the required info written prominently on each page. I have yet to hear back.

Last year I physically mailed my return including Tesla paperwork for the used-but-not-registered-in-CO rebate and it took until August to get my check. After I got the "we need more info" letter, I uploaded the exact same documents I mailed in. After the status hadn't changed in 4 months, I faxed the same exact documents. A few weeks after that, I got the check. A month later I received a letter saying the documentation was sufficient and I should receive my check within 2 to 4 weeks.

Reactions: 2krazykats
Well I went ahead and submitted my W-2 (which had been electronically submitted both by my employer in January and by me in February with my return) and the Vehicle History Report ($10.99 through eBay via AutoCheck) online just now. I'll bet it'll be months before I hear anything.

I just got my notice today to provide the MVPA and registration paper work which I mailed in to them already but *sigh* i guess it got lost. I'm going to fax and mail just for good measure.

I guess they're making us work for this money.

On the other side of this, I filed my return with CO about 4 weeks ago and it got deposited today without a fuss. After reading the stories in this thread I had resigned myself to waiting at least a few months. Maybe new vs. used plays a role in how long they mull it over? Or maybe I just got lucky.

I filed my taxes in February, and they say it'll be processed within 2-6 weeks. 8 weeks later, they sent a demand letter for "more documentation." Specifically:

Innovative Motor Vehicle Credit - A copy of the vehicle history report (such as one available from CarFax) for used vehicle.
They need me to buy a CarFax for a used EV I bought? WTF?! So ridiculous. And if I did this today, they'll delay another 3 months and then ask for something else...
I've had my issues with the DOR over the years, including a dispute over the amount of the tax credit for my LEAF some years ago (I thought that their interpretation of the law, which I read, was incorrect). But the tax credit law and policy has been getting better and clearer IMO. And the helpful Income 67 document, which every Colorado EV buyer should read, explains quite clearly that a Carfax type report needs to be submitted as proof that the car has never been registered in Colorado.

Why do they need the proof, can't they just research it themselves? Well, no. It is up to the taxpayer to document eligibility for the tax credit, and not the responsibility of the DOR to try to determine it. Considering how generous the tax credit is, especially when applied to used cars (like mine) — the only state that does that so far as I know — I don't have a problem with the requirement.

CO Dept of Revenue is definitely on the top of the clueless list.

A couple of years ago, after filing my return, they sent me a letter requesting copies of the 4 checks I sent to them, and they cashed, for quarterly estimated payments. In my cover letter back to them, with the copies of the checks, I asked them how could they possibly not have record of receiving and cashing the checks. Of course, this question was not answered when I got their "your documentation is satisfactory" letter.

My $6K credit was applied to my recent filing for 2015. I cut my quarterly esitmateds sufficiently for 2015, so my refund is ~$200, which I applied to the first 2016 quarterly estimated just due. So they can screw around as long as they want, as far as I'm concerned, as it will have no effect on me.
Yes, they are pretty clueless. In my case the DOR botched the handling of my Use Tax payment (payment of sales tax for my internet purchases) two years in a row. One year they refunded the money to me because I had already paid my income tax and they thought the payment was for that. (I figured it was so rare that anybody actually paid Use Tax that they didn't know how to handle it!) Each year I just replied to the letter explaining what happened and it got cleared up.

But this year I found that the Use Tax had been added as a line on the income tax form, no more separate filing and payment. That makes things much more simple and is a big improvement over the old system. So, for me, things seem to be getting better at the DOR.

Why do they need the proof, can't they just research it themselves? Well, no. It is up to the taxpayer to document eligibility for the tax credit, and not the responsibility of the DOR to try to determine it. Considering how generous the tax credit is, especially when applied to used cars (like mine) — the only state that does that so far as I know — I don't have a problem with the requirement.
By that logic, one could submit an Innovative tax credit twice a year knowing that it'll never be checked. Not to mention that they're requesting a printed form from any number of the 500 different Auto History Check websites, so it can easily be faked or edited.

They are doing nothing but inviting fraud. If they aren't checking vehicle registrations on these credits, there is a 100% chance that people will scam them out of the $6k. Apparently they aren't checking anything so it's not as if they'll even know at some point in the future. I doubt they're even checking current vehicle registrations to prove you even own the car.

It's pretty absurd. Let's say they're giving out $100M / year in these credits. Isn't it worth hiring a 25 year old for $10k / tax season to check this stuff? It would take, at most, a few minutes per car. At best, seconds per car.

They are doing nothing but inviting fraud. If they aren't checking vehicle registrations on these credits, there is a 100% chance that people will scam them out of the $6k.
I don't see how this request for documentation is being handled any different than any other tax credit or deduction.

I presume a fraction will be audited in one way or another; again, exactly the same as other credits or deductions. If they find a high percentage of fraud they will audit more. In the case of EVs I imagine it is pretty easy to match the total number of tax credit requests to the number of new EV registrations in the state; or if they wanted to, to match the specific submitted VIN to a database of registered EVs in the state.

I'm not so sure that they mind fraud, so long as they catch it eventually.
Hint to fraudsters: avoid the tax authorities. They are nasty and expensive.

Last edited:
Because even without being audited, other items that you submit with your own version of the numbers are checked, and revision letters are sent to you for payment. They use the self-preparation method because it's quick, but they do verify the numbers against the federal tax records, employer tax records, and 1099's, etc. They aren't checking them in March of the year you submit your taxes, but they are checking them.

It seems in this case, they aren't checking anything, and I don't think they ever will. I don't think in 2020 they're going to start pulling vehicle history reports and checking VINs. It would be incredibly labor-intensive at some point after today to verify that the vehicle was owned at this exact moment in time by the Colorado taxpayer. Imagine you own an EV for only 31 days in 2015 and submitted the paperwork with your taxes. Five years later, they start digging around and can't find it. Maybe you had a typo in the VIN, maybe they did in their research. Maybe the DMV did. It happens all the time. (I noticed a typo in my registration just last month, by lucky chance. I have never checked that before). Try to get THAT sorted out 5 years from now when you don't have the old title, registration or license plate anymore.

But today - they can spend 90 seconds and A) Verify that you own the vehicle and it's registered in CO in your name, and B) that it hasn't been registered in CO before now. Five years from now that record will be littered with perhaps dozens more line items to sift through. It's silly not to do it now. It implies to me that they'll never do it.

I'm a fanatical over-tax-payer. I don't even claim little things I'm entitled to (according to TurboTax) for fear or encouraging the wrath of an audit or something like that. I would rather pay $20 more per year than have them make me prove I donated a jacket to goodwill 6.5 years back.

I'm a fanatical over-tax-payer. I would rather pay $20 more per year ..
Sorry, I thought that was funny :)

Documentation is something of a mind-set. Since I run a small business keeping receipts and an accurate log is in my blood and I've gotten efficient at it so I don't mind the extra seconds involved for each transaction. Horray for Google Docs!

Last edited:
I try to keep more than I need, but I find it hard to keep everything organized as the years go by, so I either end up with dozens of folders with one page each in them, or I start throwing everthing into one big pile. So I've got everything, but I can never find anything.

I try to keep more than I need, but I find it hard to keep everything organized as the years go by, so I either end up with dozens of folders with one page each in them, or I start throwing everthing into one big pile. So I've got everything, but I can never find anything.
If you would like a computer to do the clerking for you, check out Evernote Premium combined with its 'scannable' smartphone app.
It is magic. And the scans are searchable.

Alternatively, if you use iOS and plan to continue check out iXpenseit for logging and receipt photo taking.

If you care about keeping a running log there are choices. I'm happy to just keep the receipt in my wallet until I sit down in front any computer to use my Google Doc, but if you are an avid smartphone user it is trivial to make a DIY applet called a 'form' that sends the transaction details to your Google Doc spreadsheet.

Last edited:
If you would like a computer to do the clerking for you, check out Evernote Premium combined with its 'scannable' smartphone app.
It is magic. And the scans are searchable.

Alternatively, if you use iOS and plan to continue check out iXpenseit for logging and receipt photo taking.

If you care about keeping a running log there are choices. I'm happy to just keep the receipt in my wallet until I sit down in front any computer to use my Google Doc, but if you are an avid smartphone user it is trivial to make a DIY applet that sends the transaction details to your Google Doc spreadsheet.

I have heard of these things before, but I feel like if I'm saving anything important, I need to keep originals. So what's the point of the digital copy? They really accept digital copies as absolute proof of something down the road?