Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension now a requirement for 6/7 seats? What about 75D orders?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a quick conversation with sales. I didn't get much but they did say they anticipate a call campaign and that we should hear from someone within the next day or two. If true, I take this to mean there is a decision those with a 6-7 seat non-air config need to make and that it will not be as simple as a free upgrade. Who know though - purely speculative on my part.

I had a quick conversation with sales. I didn't get much but they did say they anticipate a call campaign and that we should hear from someone within the next day or two. If true, I take this to mean there is a decision those with a 6-7 seat non-air config need to make and that it will not be as simple as a free upgrade. Who know though - purely speculative on my part.
Interesting, so they might really need the Air Susp for the 6/7 seats, and your option might go as add $2500 (fee waived) OR go to 5 seat and wait. I appreciate that I no longer have to 2nd guess my decision to include it and be upset if/when it needs repair in 8 or so years :)

I still question the June delivery for new orders last week, but there is action happening for 75Ds. So the good news part of this is that they might be getting close to producing 75Ds if they are making production decisions like this. Pure speculation of course.

Reactions: halg
Coil will be kept for previous orders (including mine). What someone else mentioned is probably right. They need to keep the 90d in line with the 75d. Value wouldn't be so easily had and further requires the options if you need more than 5 seats.

I suspect 5 seat orders will have an uptick long term.

Likely not enough people ordering expensive MX.

Hence the increase to 75D--with added cost. The juice was likely there, but needed lowest cost sales MX to get higher.

Then with 6 and 7 seat. Most people ordering those. Guess Tesla figured to make air suspension standard for those. Thus also increasing price of car.

These two tweaks significantly increased price of a similarly config car from last month.

I for one think that this is fair game. Tesla can dictate their pricing and the market will respond. It is their product and they stand behind it.

One can never truly please everyone. I feel fortunate to get the 75d upgrade for free and "saved" $3000. I also got the "upgraded" interior as they shifted stock to dark ash instead of matte obeche which is what I had. We have a member upset that his dark ash he paid for wasn't refunded when the stock interior was changed. Tesla can't please us both since we belong on opposite ends so they try to open do what is justifiably right and have to walk a thin line.

If my vehicle has a fixed position spoiler or coil suspension, I will be completely fine with that as it'd only be fair. They will not force me upon air suspension. If my vehicle must have air, then they will have to add it for free which I doubt is required, moreso to put things in line with pricing and demand.

Last edited:
I for one think that this is fair game. Tesla can dictate their pricing and the market will respond. It is their product and they stand behind it.

One can never truly please everyone. I feel fortunate to get the 75d upgrade for free and "saved" $3000. I also got the "upgraded" interior as they shifted stock to dark ash instead of matte obeche which is what I had. We have a member upset that his dark ash he paid for wasn't refunded when the stock interior was changed. Tesla can't please us both since we belong on opposite ends so they try to open do what is justifiably right and have to walk a thin line.

If my vehicle has a fixed position spoiler or coil suspension, I will be completely fine with that as it'd only be fair. They will not force me upon air suspension. If my vehicle must have air, then they will have to add it for free which I doubt is required, moreso to put things in line with pricing and demand.
I concur. I am very happy getting the 75D upgrade gratis! I could care less about air suspension, if they offer that for free Yayy!! If they ask 2k+ for it, No thank you Sir! Just give me my coils.

So I've been tweeting @Elon and @TeslaMotors asking them to unbundle the Air Suspension from the 90D so that people who have no need to tow things (AS required for Tow Package) but want max range do not have to shell out $2500 to get the bigger battery....

They did introduce more range with 75D, but ironically enough, a week later they did the reverse of what I was requesting and bundled AS with 75D 6/7 seaters...

If I had no need for proper 3 rows, I would have been driving around in a Model S for a couple of years already...

To me a 5-seater MX is silly - FWDs are cool, but Model S has more cargo capacity and overall utility with its folding Back seat / hatch configuration.

I'm not sure what the reasoning is behind this move (AS required for 75D 6/7 seaters) If it's a temporary move to facilitate the production ramp - I guess it makes sense. But as a revenue enhancer, it alienates so many people who are already stretching to get into a Model X (I'm one of the guilty ones)

Of course the less affluent Tesla fans needing proper 3 rows can wait even longer, until the cheaper CPO and inventory cars are available.

It's just a counter-intuitive move given the Model 3 positioning and the push for affordable EVs.

Just some thoughts...o_O

Last edited:
I discussed about this topic of air suspension with my DS. She said that she "thinks" it could be bundled in free of cost like the 75D upgrade. But they have no official communication from HQ and they are expecting a call campaign initiated by HQ whereby order holders could be asked or rather advised on what's about to happen. Take all this with a "sachet of salt".. nobody knows for sure at this point ;p
Maybe not very relevant to this thread but I was also advised I could expect June-July delivery for my 75D(config in signature).

Reactions: ohmman
So I've been tweeting @Elon and @TeslaMotors asking them to unbundle the Air Suspension from the 90D so that people who have no need to tow things (AS required for Tow Package) but want max range do not have to shell out $2500 to get the bigger battery....

You don't mention it so I'm not sure you realize it.

Air Suspension increases range on Tesla Model S and X. Lowering the car at highway speeds reduces drag and increases range so "max range" = largest battery + smallest rear motor (aka non P) + air suspension + smallest wheel size + anything else they offer that affects range (if there is more than one wheel choice you need the one with the best aerodynamics, and so on).

On the X as it stands I'm assuming the standard wheels have better aero than the "helix" 20s.

Active spoiler doesn't "increase to max range" because it forces an upgrade to XP90D from X90D and thus you get less range. It does however increase range as an option for someone already getting a XP90D

The configurator doesn't change the range when you turn air suspension on/off for the X75D but they say elsewhere that it affects range. They just aren't willing to put a fixed number to it...

Last edited: