Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension now a requirement for 6/7 seats? What about 75D orders?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Taking a look at the Model X design studio, new 75D orders now require air suspension for 6 and 7 seat combinations. I confirmed a 75D in February with 7 seats, premium and NO air suspension. Does anybody have any ideas why the number of seats would impact the suspension requirement, or is this just to ensure that people don't disproportionately choose the now upgraded range 75D over the 90D?

Also, what do you think this means for us oddballs that reserved early?

Interesting. They may be at the point where they don't want to delay the existing non-air 75D orders any longer to develop and test the coil suspension. Presuming a 90/10 split between 90D and 75D, it may be cheaper to just give everyone air.

If they do give us a free upgrade to the air suspension, I wonder if we'll be able to make other changes that rely on it. I would happily pay $750 extra for towing. It wasn't worth $2,750, but at just $750, it's totally worth it.

• Funny
Reactions: Blip
Wow. For practical purposes (assuming most cars have 6/7 seat configurations), they just raised the bottom price by 5500 in the last two weeks? Do I have this right?

Yes. Though I strongly suspect this most recent $2500 requirement is temporary per the speculation up-thread that they want to ship out 75s sooner and it will take too long to retool the line to build w/o air suspension. If I'm right this would mean:

* All pre-existing 70/75D orders will get upgraded to air susp. for free if they didn't elect it previously.
* At some point later in the year, probably when they start building the 5 seaters, they'll remove the suspension requirement for 6/7 seat configs

What's unclear is what they're going to do for the 70/75 customers that paid extra initially for the air suspension. Most probably we are stuck with our choice.

Reactions: disagree
You'd think they'd give their salespeople a heads up on this stuff since just before I read this I had done a test drive of a 6 seater. My salesperson explicitly told me not to worry about getting the air suspension for my needs, if I went 75d six-seat as opposed to 90d six-seat.

Yeesh!

Folks, I priced the config I had originally ordered in March - 70D, Tan/White/Dark Ash, Autopilot, no PUP, no AS, no UHFS. It comes out to $94,700 now vs. $91,150 earlier. That's a difference of $3550. Do consider the 70D=>75D and Dark Ash is free ($750 add on option).

Yes. Though I strongly suspect this most recent $2500 requirement is temporary per the speculation up-thread that they want to ship out 75s sooner and it will take too long to retool the line to build w/o air suspension. If I'm right this would mean:

* All pre-existing 70/75D orders will get upgraded to air susp. for free if they didn't elect it previously.
* At some point later in the year, probably when they start building the 5 seaters, they'll remove the suspension requirement for 6/7 seat configs

What's unclear is what they're going to do for the 70/75 customers that paid extra initially for the air suspension. Most probably we are stuck with our choice.

But why not just skip over the non-air suspension 75Ds and build them after all the air suspension cars have been built? That's exactly what they did with the S and they didn't have to give free air suspension to people who didn't order it.

I was just about to post about this! I ordered a 75D, 7 seater, premium, etc. except for the suspension last Thursday. So my order confirms tomorrow and I hope they will include the suspension gratis rather than pushing me further down the queue (it stated June when I ordered). I have a call into my DS (back when I purchased my MS). Will let the group know what I hear!

But why not just skip over the non-air suspension 75Ds and build them after all the air suspension cars have been built? That's exactly what they did with the S and they didn't have to give free air suspension to people who didn't order it.

Seems plausible. Although as a non-air suspension order I'm hoping it is not the case - I've already got my hopes up for getting it in around June when they showed that for new orders in the design studio. If I got pushed back until September or even later I may reconsider this option (assuming they would at least waive the change fee).

Seems plausible. Although as a non-air suspension order I'm hoping it is not the case - I've already got my hopes up for getting it in around June when they showed that for new orders in the design studio. If I got pushed back until September or even later I may reconsider this option (assuming they would at least waive the change fee).

They might have if they thought ahead, but they got themselves into a catch-22 when they opened up the Studio and gave a delivery date of June for recent 75D orders without Air.

Once they did that, they had conflicting groups who ordered coil suspensions:
  1. Original 70D orders who had "mid-late 2016" delivery dates
  2. Recent 75D orders who had June promise dates
If they bump both groups to Sept, group #2 has legitimate complaints. (promised June, now September)
If they bump #1 to Sept to take advantage of that group's flexible dates while upgrading #2 to Air, they penalize people for ordering early.

Who knows until we get confirmation, but I suspect this means upgrades for both groups.

Reactions: ssq

I ordered my 70D, non-air in March so I also hope it's not the case. I think the only reason for this change is there must be something about the 6 and 7-seat configs that require it. Could it be a weight or weight distribution issue?

I doubt it has anything to do with production scheduling, just because Tesla doesn't really have a big problem letting production dates slip if they need to. And there's no reason they couldn't just move non-air to the back of the line, like they did with early Model S.