Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any idea about this number icon beside the charge limit slider. Taken from my Android app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see this number icon and no clue about it. Anybody know what it is. I use android app Version 4.14.2-1411 and my Tesla is on the 2022.40.4.1
Screenshot_20221124-105147__01.jpg

Sorry, I didn't mention that I am from the UK. In the US it could be the case as I think its the 110V there so a 3phase might be required to get 7KW charging

Nope, in the US for residential we use 240V split single phase. Using one leg of the split single phase gives you 120V, going from leg to leg on that single phase gives you 240V. For standard commercial 3 phase power we go with a 3 phase "Y" configuration that gives you 208V between phases.

In the US on a commercial L2 station, we would typically see 208V x 30 amps for 6.2 KW of power. At work I have access to 208V x 32 amps for 6.7 KW of power. I am not sure how your tesla is measuring the voltage at 235 when it is providing 7 KW at only 16 amps... I suspect that it is measuring the voltage of a single phase of the 3 phases that it is using rather than the total voltage available... I haven't looked at my actual Tesla screen or that app while charging at work, I wonder if it says 120V 32 amp with a 3 designating 3 phase instead of 208V 32 amp? If I remember to check, I will take a look at it tomorrow when I charge.

Keith

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Art84
Upvote 0
it's 3 phase. I have it at home as well (wall connector from Tesla) and as mentioned in earlier comments, the power (kW) indeed suggests 3 phase; if it would be single phase you can't get 7KW from 16A and 235V; you would have more or less halve of the 7KW. With 3 phase though, I think the formula sounds 16A * 235 V * sqrt(3) = 6.7KW -> rounded 7KW.

Upvote 0
it's 3 phase. I have it at home as well (wall connector from Tesla) and as mentioned in earlier comments, the power (kW) indeed suggests 3 phase; if it would be single phase you can't get 7KW from 16A and 235V; you would have more or less halve of the 7KW. With 3 phase though, I think the formula sounds 16A * 235 V * sqrt(3) = 6.7KW -> rounded 7KW.

The formula is correct, I am just surprised that Tesla senses the individual phase voltage of 235V rather than the phase to phase voltage (407V in this case)... I forgot to check my readings this morning darn it!

Keith

Upvote 0
Conceptionally I don't understand how the Tesla can utilize the power of all 3 phases? I'm in the US.

The Tesla connector only had two power conductors that AC power goes over. It sends that to the cars inverter to switch to DC. I thought with 3 phase it just uses two of those thus many public level 2 chargers are 208 volts.

I must be misunderstanding something.

Upvote 0
The Tesla connector only had two power conductors that AC power goes over. It sends that to the cars inverter to switch to DC. I thought with 3 phase it just uses two of those thus many public level 2 chargers are 208 volts.
In england(and probably europe), the standard Tesla connector has what appears to be four power leads(five if you count the ground). They are probably feeding the three phases in on three of those power leads, and the innards of the PCS either deal with each lead to ground separately or they do some internal magic to combine them. At least in the US, the PCS has three modules, each capable of dealing with 16A/240v (actually more, 16A/290V or so) which is still MUCH less than an EU tesla can deal with on AC.

Upvote 0
Here is a diagram for European Tesla connector; neat.

Upvote 0
Conceptionally I don't understand how the Tesla can utilize the power of all 3 phases? I'm in the US.

I must be misunderstanding something.
Yes, you are thinking that the North American version of the wall connector you are familiar with is the same used all over the world, but it isn't. They have a different version of the wall connector sold and used in Europe that doesn't just have two conductors for the voltage. It is made to be able to use 3 phase with all three hot conductors and pass them all through (using a different kind of plug) to the cars, which have the Type2 port, which is made to use 3 phase electricity natively.

• Informative
Reactions: MacO512 and alexcue
Upvote 0
Interestingly I am charging at same location and a similar charging unit (one right next to the unit I posted initially). Today its charging at 7KW as previously but at 32A and interestingly there is no Phase-3 number shown. Perhaps this is one is the kind that we have at home, single phase 32A circuit.
Screenshot_20221208-073921.jpg

Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0