Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are acoustic tires noticeably quieter?

When driving with the radio on

• I do not notice a difference in road noise

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • I do notice a difference in road noise

Votes: 8 44.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read somewhere, it is designed to absorb vibration, so you will notice it if you go over bumps frequently, I don't feel any differences in regular service and there aren't many bumps in my route, the rail road track near me is the smooth type.

I select
Thank you. But why pay more for acoustic absorbent tires if you do not notice a difference? Hence the poll.
Valid point.
From my perspective, most of those tires are just extra profit margin for the producer as they place it way above the average price of equivalent non-acoustic tire.
Maybe increased competition will bring the prices to more normal levels in the future …

If the noise difference is more than 3 dB then it is detectable by most humans.

Usual noise difference due to foam only is only around 1 dB. Usually not enough to be detectable.
That is usually not worth +40% price difference.
If they would bring price difference down, then we can discuss …

Last edited:
Reactions: Mercimek
Believe that Acoustic foam is only designed to reduce noise at certain frequencies. Most likely to suppress a "thunk" It cannot reduce the sound made by the treads or wind noise.
Correct-ish, a half inch thick piece of foam is invisible to all but the highest frequencies. A thunk would be a lower frequency. It's there to deal with frequencies more like the "ping" sound when you smack a red dodge ball (middle school PE trigger warning). As you stated it has no effect on tread noise.

There are other techniques tire manufactures use to deal with other frequencies, like variable tread spacing to prevent a constant droning noise. (Apple uses a similar technique with variable fan blade length on their Macbook fans to minimize fan noise)

You can see a few of these techniques showcased on the Hankook iON EVO tire marketing page (about half way down the page).