Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The reason for the most recent price drop can be found in the preceding two pages of comments since the announcement, cancellations of LR and P orders in favour of RWDs that are immediately available. The price change is designed to move demand from models that have lower production supply (LR & P) to models that have higher production supply (RWD).

End result is better matching of demand with supply which results in faster fulfilment for all orders. Lowered pricing tempts people to move some LR & P orders to RWD which are fulfilled faster due to oversupply, whilst each cancellation of an LR & P order moves those that retain those orders up the queue.

Last edited:
Reactions: cafz and sammody
The reason for the most recent price drop can be found in the preceding two pages of comments since the announcement, cancellations of LR and P orders in favour of RWDs that are immediately available. The price change is designed to move demand from models that have lower production supply (LR & P) to models that have higher production supply (RWD).

End result is better matching of demand with supply which results in faster fulfilment for all orders. Lowered pricing tempts people to move some LR & P orders to RWD which are fulfilled faster due to oversupply, whilst each cancellation of an LR & P order moves those that retain those orders to move up the queue.

Personally I agree that the LR is the sweet spot - I wouldn't go with the P unless I was planning to take it to the track.

As an EV enthusiast, I still cannot fathom why someone would take an EV to the track other than a once off just see. The whole point of driving a track car is gear changes and light weight, regardless of lap times. But do agree for the Model Y, the Performance seems a little silly.

RWD price drop today by $5k. This made me change my order from a P to a white RWD 20" black interior. Got my VIN immediately, EDD May 27 to June 17.

For those looking to change and/or order now, I called the call centre and they told me there are 4 Quicksilver RWD with 20" wheels and white interior not yet assigned, and also about 5 Quicksilver RWD with 19" wheels not yet assigned. So there seems to be plenty of RWD stock available.
Got the delivery date email earlier this evening. Booked for 29/5. So one week between changing my order and pick up. 👍

Reactions: TheRug80 and Sturty
As an EV enthusiast, I still cannot fathom why someone would take an EV to the track other than a once off just see. The whole point of driving a track car is gear changes and light weight, regardless of lap times. But do agree for the Model Y, the Performance seems a little silly.
As an MYP owner I fully agree. Many of us bought them before the LR option existed. I’m just trying to ignore the price drops the MYP has experienced, I like the car too much to care.

I plan on tracking the MYP at least once in its life, depending how fun it is maybe a few times 😛.

It’s about having a good time; plenty of people track heavy cars that don’t go particularly fast. Bathurst is famous for it 😉. EV torque makes for interesting dynamics, I suspect the biggest blocker will be figuring out how to charge/manage heat.

When I went to Tesla dealer on Saturday to test drive the Model Y RWD, they gave me a Performance model instead. P was great fun, Did a number of full acceleration runs making entire family go whoa everytime lol. But yeah, I wouldn't do that everyday and certainly didn't feel it was worth the $22k (now $27k) extra when the rest of the car inside is nearly identical. (better seats and trims would have been nice)

Also, when I drive my current Model 3 RWD, I have it set to Chill mode 100% of the time anyways because I hate the jumpiness of the standard mode which is very uncomfortable for the driver or passengers. It still feels plenty fast & smooth due to no gear changes anyways.

Reactions: Zoltrix77
I'm about to order our 2nd Tesla this week (Model Y RWD) and I tossing up between a car loan and a novated lease. I was wondering if anyone had the behind the scenes math figured out for this? From the little I understand right now, Novated leases work differently for an EV than traditional ICE cars?

I'm about to order our 2nd Tesla this week (Model Y RWD) and I tossing up between a car loan and a novated lease. I was wondering if anyone had the behind the scenes math figured out for this? From the little I understand right now, Novated leases work differently for an EV than traditional ICE cars?
How much do you earn?
Ultimatlely that's what it boil downs to. The more you earn, the better a NL is for you.