Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autoflex'd my MS!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Inspired by @HankLloydRight, I decided I wanted to change the color of my Model S from Midnight Silver Metallic, which I was rather bored with. The process took around 4 days since I decided to use a glossy material. The color was exactly what Hank chose (except he went with Satin finish I believe), which was Deep Sea Blue with the Blueberry Juice enhancer. I also had my rims dipped with a Punisher Gray. My installer, Phillips based out of Ozone Park did have some challenges getting it done within 2 days and speeding up the drying process turned out to not work out well, so he re-did a couple of panels. He as very patient with me and worked with me until I am satisfied.

I decided not to do the door jams as it would have been an extra $800 and the midnight silver metallic blended in perfectly fine. If you were going with a drastic color change (like white to red), it might be necessary. He also didn't do behind the door handles.

Autoflex is made by the Plastip folks (www.dipyourcar.com), but is meant to be done by a professional with a spray booth and is meant to last 5+ years. The product has only been around 2+ years but according to my installer, it has been tested for 7. It can be treated like regular paint when it comes to washing and waxing. The paint peels off rather easily if you do it yourself. It feels like regular paint.

The colors are produced by and you can pretty much make any color you want: Pearl Pigment, Plasti Dip, AutoFlex and Pro Line Peelable Paints - KP Pigments

If you are in the tri-state area, I highly recommend you contact Phillips (ProDipperNYC):

Prodippernyc
Phillips (@prodipper) • Instagram photos and videos
Pro Dipper NYC

Here are some before pics, after pics. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask.
IMG_1214.JPG IMG_1219-3.jpeg IMG_1222.JPG IMG_1223.JPG IMG_1224.jpeg IMG_1225.jpeg 55510485373__4FD24751-A2A9-4D2F-B19B-9E0FA3706C4E.JPEG FullSizeRender.jpeg IMG_1132.JPG

my OCD is bothering me slightly that you did the side skirts but not the front lip or rear apron pieces? lol

I purposely left the back bumper as I wanted to keep the original look there (even the re-freshed MS's have that), but did consider it. @HankLloydRight actually did the same thing as me. The front apron, I never really considered. I am pretty OCD myself, so you must have a bigger case of it :)

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
I purposely left the back bumper as I wanted to keep the original look there (even the re-freshed MS's have that), but did consider it. @HankLloydRight actually did the same thing as me. The front apron, I never really considered. I am pretty OCD myself, so you must have a bigger case of it :)

i was referring to the rear lower side pieces, not the center piece

color looks good btw

Thanks. I definitely didn't do this myself. I wouldn't even come close. it was a professional job!
Ah!!! I thought you did it yourself. Ok, now I feel somewhat still like a man!

I am not familiar with the process but I have a few questions...

1. Is it permanent, or is it something like Plasti-dip that you can peel off?

2. Can you ball park the cost of doing something like this?

Ah!!! I thought you did it yourself. Ok, now I feel somewhat still like a man!

I am not familiar with the process but I have a few questions...

1. Is it permanent, or is it something like Plasti-dip that you can peel off?

2. Can you ball park the cost of doing something like this?

It's temporary and can peel off, just like PlastiDip. Roughly in the 2-3k range depending on paint colors

It's temporary and can peel off, just like PlastiDip. Roughly in the 2-3k range depending on paint colors

Just found a shop in my neck of the woods which is about $2,600 (depending upon colour choice).

Has anyone ever peeled one of these off and see if it damages the underlying paint? I know that with wraps, they can often peel the original paint right off the car when removing.

Just found a shop in my neck of the woods which is about $2,600 (depending upon colour choice).

Has anyone ever peeled one of these off and see if it damages the underlying paint? I know that with wraps, they can often peel the original paint right off the car when removing.

My installer had to re-do the panel and peel it off (granted it was only 2 days later). From the video he sent me, it didn't look like damage, but I am sure there is always a risk I guess.....

Nope. At least their website doesn't say rims, so I am assuming just the body.

There appear to only be two authorized autoflex dealers in Toronto.

Get references and do your homework. Autoflex is not an easy thing to put on which is why so few do it. It's a new technology, so it's not as as common as Ceramic Pro and some of the other technologies out there.

$2600 is average price. I got as high as 3k from one of the local installers not including RIMS which was very high.