Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best climate control to heat and maintain heat during below freeze temp?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don’t know when this was implemented, but in extreme cold I am seeing an auto defrost cycling every few minutes or so. Also (seemingly not as new) is the quick defrost upon entering the car and closing the door.

This is awesome! I previously would have major issues while driving with windshield fogging up and frost with extremely cold outside temps.

Reactions: Jane4
Set temp to desired temperature, use auto. Done (most of the time).

A lot of people think they're smarter than the HVAC and they're usually wrong. I occasionally have to override it and force it to defog the windshield, but that's usually due to the car being very slow to register that it might have been 15 degrees in the garage when I left, but it's actually -15 out on the road. In my experience the car is slow to react to temperature changes, and that can have unintended fogging consequences. My only real complaint, but it's not much different than almost every other auto HVAC I've had in a vehicle.

Auto setting on heated seats helps a lot, and use heated steering wheel as well.

Reactions: Aellinsar and Jane4
For trips where range isn't a big concern, I'd just use auto and not worry about it much. For extreme cold on a longer trip where range is a concern, the heated seats and steering wheel will go a long way to making you feel comfy without using nearly as much energy as heating the cabin all the way up. So perhaps keep the seats and steering wheel on a higher setting and keep the cabin a bit cooler. In theory this should help improve range without being miserably cold.

Hi.all. winter here. What other settings do you use to keep your tesla warm beside just increase the temp? Does turning on AC and circulation make a differece?

Someone could possibly make an argument for turning on AC and recirc to save energy, but that would take a good amount of testing to prove any energy savings. There is going to be an outside temperature and humidity level where recirculate and AC is going to be better than using the outside air...The other issue on trying to prove energy savings is going to be that yeah you can find the point where recirc and AC is better, BUT since Tesla already does some switching between outside air and recirc, it would be more difficult in proving cost savings of manually controlling the system vs letting the car do it on Auto.

I am definitely someone who would attempt to do these tests just to get the technical answer, but I do not have the correct weather conditions(not cold enough) to even think about running such tests. I think constant driving outside temps in the 20's would be necessary to even think about starting testing the possibilities.

Also, the answer is going to be completely different between a vehicle with a heat pump vs without.

At this time, I think just sticking with Auto is the most efficient and is obviously the easiest.

I guess it all depends on what you want to call "best". According to my gf it would probably be 25 °C and steering wheel/seat heaters set to max.

My "best" is where I can keep the energy consumption at bay. I usually keep the fan at 1, heat at 15.5 °C and direct the air toward the windshield to prevent it from fogging up. If that's not enough I'll increase the heat output as required, but most of the time it works.

I personally don't see the point of heating the interior to 20 °C while I'm still wearing the same winter coat I was wearing when I entered the car in freezing temperatures. It keeps me sufficiently warm.

I do however use the seat heater. I usually start at full power and reduce it once it gets warmer than what I need.

What other people suggested isn't wrong by any means. It all depends on what is important to you. I'm a cheapskate and I don't want to waste more energy than necessary.