Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW Personal Pilot L3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tam

Nov 25, 2012
California
BMW should be selling L3 in Germany by now. It is the second L3 being sold in Germany:

Mercedes L3 is not allowed in the dark, but BMW L3 does.

A clip on BMW L2 and L3. The BMW Personal Pilot L3 can stop for obstacles like a 2-foot-high block or a 5-inch-high wooden pallet (not steering away from obstacles) when hidden until the last seconds by the front car:

bmw-i7-with-personal-pilot-l3.jpg

1715138174202.png

Its price is about $6,4000, but it will not be available in the US any time soon. Just like when Mercedes started to sell in Germany, it would take some time to get approvals from 50 states.

Last edited:
L3 has a maximum speed of 37mph? :rolleyes:
It's a baby small step to start a consumer L3 when a driver is no longer liable for accidents.

That liability shift is huge. Thus, to manage it, manufacturers want to operate L3 in conditions that discourage damages and deaths.

Some of those are:
.Divided highways, no city streets, no pedestrians, no complicated scenarios.
.Low speed that happens in a highway traffic jam. Tesla can do this now but Tesla won't pay damages at any speed!
.and other conditions...

Mercedes plans to double the speed of L3 to 80MPH later but I guess only if the 40MPH condition is proven a success after many on the roads. With this pace of slow rollout, I won't be surprised that it'll be years from now.

Reactions: E90alex
L3 has a maximum speed of 37mph? :rolleyes:

Here's the reference for the Mercedes L3 at 80 MPH. I expect other L3 companies will have to catch up too:

"Mercedes-Benz is focusing on SAE Level 3 conditionally automated driving with the ultimate goal of driving at speeds of up to 80 mph (130 km/h) in its final iteration."