Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boot opening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For some reason this morning, I can't open my boot from the outside. It will open from the app or the screen in the car without a problem. Never done this before. Any ideas?

I did change some puddle lights the other day but unsure how that would affect anything.

Selling the car tomorrow. Typical 🙄

Assume you've done the whole 2 button reset thing. If that doesn't solve it I would potentially try disconnecting the HV battery reset as well.

Could be a fuse. Anything else not working? I fitted an aftermarket hydraulic bonnet and must have shorted something because none of my lights were working. I freaked right out. Eventually found out i'd tripped an e-fuse, which the HV disconnect will reset and boom all working again.

Can't imagine the boot button would be on its own fuse though but never hurts to try. Changing the puddle lights might have upset a gremlin somewhere.

I know its unlikely to be linked, but have you checked just in case? Its unlikely, but if its the only thing that has changed...
I changed some 3 year old third-party puddle lights back to the original Tesla ones. I’ve checked them all today and the lights are working as normal. I removed and re-installed each light and all good. I can open the boot by the app, screen and emergency release but not by the normal boot release. As far as I’m aware everything else is working as it should.

It would be a big coincidence that the rear external boot button has failed, and it's not something I've seen complained of here. But out of curiosity does the close button on the boot work? Not sure what it would indicate but I'm now curious. Also, although I don't go into the service menu perhaps there is some message or diagnostic there? Just grasping now.

It would be a big coincidence that the rear external boot button has failed, and it's not something I've seen complained of here. But out of curiosity does the close button on the boot work? Not sure what it would indicate but I'm now curious. Also, although I don't go into the service menu perhaps there is some message or diagnostic there? Just grasping now.
No close button. Manual Boot.

I’ll finish this Guinness and put the old puddles in and see if that fixes it.

Reactions: M1tch
Everything else works. The boot opens with the app and screen. How do I do the battery reset? Will that screw anything else up?

Tesla want £150 to fit a new boot button. I would be very surprised if that just failed out of the blue.

Try the 2 button reset first, if that doesn't work. Pop the bonnet, disconnect the 12volt

Then lift the back seat up, there is a connector under there, disconnect that. Leave it for a minute or two, reconnect in reverse.

As MrBadger said the car has efuses that reset, buuuuut only if the car goes to sleep and even then it seems kinda random as to how long they take to do it. If you have sentry mode etc then they won't reset themselves. I found this out the hard way. The HV disconnect will make sure the fuses are definitely reset and also potentially clear the fault.

Did you try service mode as mentioned above too?

I just googled a video on how to disconnect and this one looks pretty clear incase you want extra help.

Reactions: Pagemakers
How old is the car?

There was a recall for the loom on the right that connects to the boot lid to the car. In time with constantly opening and closing the boot the wires can become frayed, which usually manifests in the rear camera stuttering and ultimately failing completely, but the boot button can also be affected as its part of the same harness.

Have you had this done? If not - it's probably that.

You could also open the boot and check the wires yourself, they are wrapped in a plastic sheath with a cutout.

2020. I think the car had the loom done a few months ago. It is a plastic washer that’s all!!

Asking Tesla anyway. Thanks.
Not a plastic washer for the recall - it's a whole new replacement harness and a plastic bracket thing to stop it kinking when the boot closes.

The "plastic washer" sounds like the O-ring fix on the OEM powered boot, a different thing.

I had a home visit a few months ago over something else and the technician said I’ve done the harness recall as well and cleared it from my app. I asked him what it was and he said it’s that piece of plastic there and it was literally a washer.

Tesla just replied to my question with…

Tesla Service: Hi xx, this sounds more like an issue with the actual switch as you are able to open the boot using different methods. -

Sounds like confusing messaging to be honest.

There is a separate "soft recall" for the OEM powered strut which involves adding an O-ring to it, to (try to) stop water ingress. Assuming you have a 70-plate or later car with an OEM powered boot, that's probably what the guy did.

I could go and take a photo of the actual trunk harness recall parts if you like - because they came to do mine and couldn't fit it because I have an aftermarket powered boot, so just left me the parts. It's a whole replacement wire harness and plastic support arm.

If your boot switch isn't working but it's working from the app then 99.99% the wire going to the boot has split.

Not sure what else I can say on this one. :). Hope you get it fixed either way.