Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BYD: "We could make a Tesla any minute"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, just like when Apple introduced the iPhone and people said that there would be so many Chinese knockoffs within a year that Apple would be driven out of the phone market. Yeah, right.
Oh there are a ton of Chinese knockoffs of the iPhone. But even on something comparably simple as the iPhone the knockoffs aren't good enough for people to really buy them in large numbers (large enough to hurt Apple). Making a car like the Model S requires significantly more capability (add things like the Supercharger network, etc, and it gets outright silly).
So yes, I'm sure BYD could make a car a minute of something that at first glance from far away resembles a Model S. But it would have a 4 cylinder 120kW gasoline engine and would drive like any of the other BYD cars...

Yep, just like when Apple introduced the iPhone and people said that there would be so many Chinese knockoffs within a year that Apple would be driven out of the phone market. Yeah, right.

And making a knock off iphone is much easier than making a knockoff Tesla. For phones which are ARM based, you could license the full thing and get a good processor + MALI gpu all from ARM for a cheap price. The problem for them to make something like Tesla is most of the technology is not readily available.

If they were to make a Tesla, it would be a giant pickup truck and cost 300k minimum. Their technology is way behind.

Just look at the BYD e6. It uses a 60kwh battery, has a range of 122 miles. Poor top speed/acceleration/handling.

I mean I think they hit a record for the least efficient electric car:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=33383

The point with the iPhone is that just throwing together some pieces doesn't make a good product, the software is everything. It took Google to provide competitive software, not some Chinese company. Likewise just throwing a bunch of batteries into a car does not make a Model S.