Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camping in the 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I camped in my 3 once on my trip to Darwin, at the Winton showgrounds in qld. It was a cold night and just me, so I thought I'd sleep in the car rather than the tent that night.
Because the car was full of stuff, I had to shuffle gear into the front seats to make a skinny single bed in the back with only on of the back seats folded down. I took out my bulky spare tire and locked it to a nearby post. It was tight in there.

Once it got dark I went to the pub for dinner and tried to find the happy balance of alcohol between 'present sleep' and n not getting up for the toilet at night.

Getting changed in the car was impossible, so changed outside in the dark.
But overall, camp mode, a foam mattress and sleeping bag... I had a good night's sleep. Work up at dawn because I had no shades.

Reactions: Chuq
Any issues plugging into 15A sockets at caravan parks using the mobile connector? Is it usually long enough or do I need an extension cord
I've found the post at the caravan park I tried (which is a common style) had recessed sockets which don't play nicely with the angle of the plug sticking out of the UMC. I have a 15A extension cord (which I'll bring next time) but it's 10+ metres long, when it really only needs to be ~30 cm - not sure if cables that short exist off-the-shelf. (I guess a custom tail for the UMC, if such a thing was made, would also do the trick.)

Every caravan park is different. My only experience was in Karratha Kulgera NT and the main problem was the socket was too loose and the plug wanted to fall out. I had an extension and was able to wrap it around the box to stop the plug falling out, otherwise I would have been stuck as the end of the UMC is not flexible to do what I did with the extension.
IMG_0671.jpeg

Last edited:
Every caravan park is different. My only experience was in Karratha NT and the main problem was the socket was too loose and the plug wanted to fall out. I had an extension and was able to wrap it around the box to stop the plug falling out, otherwise I would have been stuck as the end of the UMC is not flexible to do what I did with the extension.
View attachment 940326
Karratha? The Northern Territory border is moving west faster than the Cane Toads.

Reactions: Futuretech
The only time I have used a 15A caravan socket, it was just a normal socket and the UMC plugged in no issues. This was in Mungindi, QLD side.

52790E4A-5AE9-41C7-9A05-B8D5BCF72B68.jpeg

Every caravan site will be different as other have pointed out. I’ve heard the mushroom posts are the worst where the sockets are recessed and hence side-entry plugs like on the UMC tail cannot be plugged in. You need either an extension lead or some kind of adaptor to extend the socket face beyond the mushroom head.