Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you open trunk before opening a door?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gearchruncher

Sep 20, 2016
Seattle, WA
Just got my 3 a few days ago.

Can you open just the trunk with the phone nearby? The biggest frustration I have so far is that you have to open a door before the trunk in order to unlock the car and let the trunk work. This seems totally weird to me since the trunk has an electric open request just as much as the doors do, and every other car I have had with a keyless fob allows you to open the trunk whenever you want if the key is on you. Walking to the driver door, popping it open, then going back to the trunk is driving me nuts.

Can you open your trunk without opening a door first in order to unlock the car, or is this just the way it is?

Yes, you can open Model 3's trunk first. I did it just yesterday at Wegmans.

With phone key working, walk up to the trunk first and pull the handle up. (There may be a short wait for wake-up/pair with the phone, similar to what the doors do, but it does work).

Yes, definitely. I open the trunk first almost every time before I drive the car. If it's been powered down for a while, there's a slight delay after pressing the trunk release once to wake up the car, then you should be able to push it again to open the trunk. There's an audible whir that you'll hear after the first press to let you know something is happening. It's all contingent on the phone key working, though.