Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cancelled PYD order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I decided to transfer my Volt lease (would have ended on 8/27/20) and pickup a M3 standard plus to get the tax credit.

Waiting until 2021 for the PYD so that the initial bugs could be worked on. At that point, I would trade up.

Good move or bad move? Anyone else cancel their order yet?

Interestingly, everytime I check my MY reservation, it states that the date of cancellation is always the same date I’m viewing the page. Pretty strange.

Overall, a prudent decision. The Model 3 has essentially been in production closing in on 2 years with some of the issues worked out now. I think that although lessons will have been learnt from the Model 3 launch, it's always been said to never buy the first production year of a vehicle. The other aspect is that I'm hopeful for some additional features to be launched - sunroof, hitch, air suspension, bio-weapon, etc. I'd like to see the Y in person before buying as well, so that will take a while to make it's way to the showrooms.

In your situation, I don't even know why you bothered pre-ordering the Y.

I don’t see what you don’t know? Their Volt lease was ending right around the time of the scheduled Model Y release, that makes perfect sense to me to pre-order it.

Now they decided to transfer the lease early and buy a Model 3 instead in the meanwhile. Completely up to them of course but the original plan made near-perfect fiscal and timing sense.

Reactions: latimerluis
For what it's worth, I wasn't trying to trash the Y at all. I love the car and I'm really excited for it to be released.

Overall, a prudent decision. The Model 3 has essentially been in production closing in on 2 years with some of the issues worked out now. I think that although lessons will have been learnt from the Model 3 launch, it's always been said to never buy the first production year of a vehicle. The other aspect is that I'm hopeful for some additional features to be launched - sunroof, hitch, air suspension, bio-weapon, etc. I'd like to see the Y in person before buying as well, so that will take a while to make it's way to the showrooms.

Thanks for your insight! Some other threads suggested that it might be best to wait after a few months (or even years), which is why I ended up canceling the order, honestly. I hope that other features might also be announced, like the tow package. I just picked up the M3 yesterday. and the build quality seems pretty good. I didn't run into a lot of the other issues I was reading about. Seeing the Y in person would probably also be helpful.

Completely up to them of course but the original plan made near-perfect fiscal and timing sense.

Yeah - I thought the plan was pretty good, which is why I was questioning my decision to get into the M3 sooner. However, now that I've taken delivery of the M3 (Friday night pickup) and have driven it a hundred miles ... it feels like the right move. I've done test drives in the past and have talked to friends and coworkers endlessly about their decisions, but wow, Teslas are amazing vehicles.

It makes me even more excited for the Y, because I def do miss the hatchback.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
I get it. As I am doing more research on Tesla, it makes me hate needing to wait so long for the Y and temped to just get the 3 instead. In the end, getting it at the end of 2020 make more sense for my family since we just got our Honda Odyssey end of last year. This will give us time to pay it off before getting the Y. We do not want 2 car payments. Also the 3 will be too small for us because we have a second child coming in June. This is why I'm so excited about the Y since I really want something bigger than a 3, but cheaper than the X. It will replace our Lexus RX350. In your case I think you should just see if the cost of switching 2 cars within 2 years really worth it? Sounds costly to me. Does it cost you anything to transfer the lease? And think about the value you will lose when you trade in the 3 for the Y. I guess the tax credit will help some of that, but my guess is you still will spend at least 10k or more doing your way instead of just keeping the Volt and wait for the Y.
I actually don't think the bugs will be as bad for the Y as it was for the 3. They are very similar cars, most of the difference are because the Y is bigger, but everything else are pretty much the same. Remember the Y was supposed to be a completely different car, but they decided to just keeping it similar to the 3 which I think is a smart decision by Tesla.
Haha, and I do care about your post. Sometimes it's good to get second opinion. We often want something so bad and in our head we will convince ourselves why it make sense to get it even though we totally shouldn't!

Reactions: latimerluis