Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't Drive S with Center Display Out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Skotty

2014 S P85 | 2023 F-150L
Jun 27, 2013
Kansas City, MO
Supposedly, you can drive an S when the center screen is down. However, I would caution that this seems to not always be the case. My center screen goes down occasionally, and when it happens, it says to hold the brake for 30 seconds to drive the car, or something to that effect. But this doesn't actually work. Luckily, rebooting both screens, while incredibly slow, so far has always worked.

If you have any other thoughts on what else I might try to get the car to work while the center screen is down (for future reference), let me know.

This is on a 2014 S P85 w/o autopilot.

Supposedly, you can drive an S when the center screen is down. However, I would caution that this seems to not always be the case. My center screen goes down occasionally, and when it happens, it says to hold the brake for 30 seconds to drive the car, or something to that effect. But this doesn't actually work. Luckily, rebooting both screens, while incredibly slow, so far has always worked.

If you have any other thoughts on what else I might try to get the car to work while the center screen is down (for future reference), let me know.

This is on a 2014 S P85 w/o autopilot.
Hey Skotty! I have a similar issue with my 2014 S 60 w/o Autopilot. Recently, I started getting the "Touch Screen is Unresponsive" message on my dashboard binnacle. Since I have "PIN to drive"turned on, the only way I can start the car is to do the scroll reboot (and wait 3-5 minutes for it to fully restart), or turn on my Mobile Hotspot and hope the car sees my phone's WiFi (3G is gone, so I can only connect using my phone's mobile hot spot); then I can start the car using the Tesla app on my phone. My plan is to replace my MCU with an MCU2 later this month. That should fix all my issues. My dashboard binnacle has also frozen twice in the last two weeks, requiring a brake pedal/scroll wheels reboot, or sometimes a full power down, to get it to reset.