Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Alarm Nightmare (Again)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, best wishes for 2023.

Ok, had another terrifying incident this evening. Left my daughter in the car with the dog, whilst I popped into the supermarket for literally 5 mins. I left my phone in the car with her and told her to lock the door when I left, just so she was safe.

Ok, now as far as I was aware, as long as the phone was left in the car (acting as key), then you could lock the doors using the app and the alarm wouldn’t engage. Unfortunately on this occasion it went off with my daughter and dog inside

I got the notification in the supermarket and legged it outside., to a terrified daughter crying her eyes out.

Now, what went wrong? Am I wrong in saying that leaving the phone in the car with her, should NOT have enabled the alarm? Should I have engaged Camp or Dog mode?

Thanks.

I got the notification in the supermarket and legged it outside., to a terrified daughter crying her eyes out.
I got confused there - did you have another phone with you for the notification, could that be the cause?

I would have thought Dog Mode was the correct approach, but I don't have dog or a daughter :p, however, I have locked my wife in the car with Dog Mode on without issue :eek:.

I got confused there - did you have another phone with you for the notification, could that be the cause?

I would have thought Dog Mode was the correct approach, but I don't have dog or a daughter :p, however, I have locked my wife in the car with Dog Mode on without issue :eek:.
I’ve got Apple Watch with data, that’s how I got the tap through. Wouldn’t care, I looked at dog mode and then thought nah, be ok if I leave the phone in the car with her, cos surely then the car thinks you’re still in it?

Ok, had another terrifying incident this evening. Left my daughter in the car with the dog, whilst I popped into the supermarket for literally 5 mins. I left my phone in the car with her and told her to lock the door when I left, just so she was safe.

Ok, now as far as I was aware, as long as the phone was left in the car (acting as key), then you could lock the doors using the app and the alarm wouldn’t engage. Unfortunately on this occasion it went off with my daughter and dog inside

Now, what went wrong? Am I wrong in saying that leaving the phone in the car with her, should NOT have enabled the alarm? Should I have engaged Camp or Dog mode?

Thanks.

I think opening a locked Tesla would trigger an alarm even with a fob, phone, or card.

Dog mode would lock the screen, so a camp mode is better. Still, make sure to unlock the lock first before opening the doors.

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl

Thanks.
Dog mode, keep your phone on you, then you could have viewed the interior via dog mode.

I think opening a locked Tesla would trigger an alarm even with a fob, phone, or card.

Dog mode would lock the screen, so a camp mode is better. Still, make sure to unlock the lock first before opening the doors.
That’s it though, I wasn’t opening the car. I left my daughter in the car with my recognised key (iPhone) and then told her to lock the doors from the app when I left, which she did. The alarm went off about 2 mins later, actually specifically it said Sentry Event Has Enabled Alarm.

Thanks everyone, thrilled with the quick response and help here. So should have activated Dog Mode simple as that. All I wanted was for her to be safe in the car with the doors locked, whilst I popped into the shop for 2 mins. Felt terrible when I come out to the alarm going mental and music blaring, my poor girl was absolutely hysterical.

Thanks everyone, thrilled with the quick response and help here. So should have activated Dog Mode simple as that. All I wanted was for her to be safe in the car with the doors locked, whilst I popped into the shop for 2 mins. Felt terrible when I come out to the alarm going mental and music blaring, my poor girl was absolutely hysterical.
Awful actually. No fun at all. It did once happen when my wife left an elderly neighbour in the car when she quickly went into a shop ... decided we would use Camp mode or dog mode in future.

Similar happened to me last summer - was out for the day with kids & my parents, stopped to grab some food & drinks from a shop on our way to the next location. Left the kids in the car, with the rear window down, next to my folks car so they could chat.

Alerted to alarm state & found the car blaring alarm & music, girls terrified, my Dad out of his car panicking... and the rear window had closed itself preventing him from calming them.
Dog mode every time I make a similar quick stop now, unless wife is with us with her phone.