Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Centimeter-Level GPS Positioning for Cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Centimeter-Level GPS Positioning for Cars
Better GPS, means better placement, even when there aren't visual markers.

GPS doesn't work in cities with tall buildings... you lose satellite communications. The key in that article is "data from scattered ground stations"

GPS also doesn't account for current road conditions which should always take precedence over GPS data. ( road construction etc )

Keep in mind that humans navigate now with only eyes and a brain... (even without visual markers.)

GPS doesn't work in cities with tall buildings... you lose satellite communications. The key in that article is "data from scattered ground stations"

GPS also doesn't account for current road conditions which should always take precedence over GPS data. ( road construction etc )

Keep in mind that humans navigate now with only eyes and a brain... (even without visual markers.)
Good points.

You city folks are on your own. I just want to drive where there aren't skyscrapers block satellites. lol You are in a place with blocked satellites, you have to use paper maps? Kidding, just kidding.

I guess road constructions crews will have to clear it with the map people before starting work in the future? If they did, and we had self driving cars, maybe people would stop speeding through construction areas and killing the workers? Could be a win/win?

for autonomous cars - this will not be a problem see LiDAR Scan Matching Aided Inertial Navigation System in GNSS-Denied Environments. - PubMed - NCBI - sensors ( either lidars or even 'temporal smoothing' from radars in teslas ) provide sm level accuracy just fine in urban environments.

It is open areas which does not allow sm accuracy with these tools alone - and here sm accuracy can be provided by augmented gps
And this accuracy can be provided not only by dispersed stations - ex Japan launches a space system to achieve sm level accuracy from gps over all Japan in few years ( by 2019 )

so gps, ins, lidars and radars are complimentary and it is ok that there are more ways to achieve better positioning of autonomous cars in most situations.

for autonomous cars - this will not be a problem see LiDAR Scan Matching Aided Inertial Navigation System in GNSS-Denied Environments. - PubMed - NCBI - sensors ( either lidars or even 'temporal smoothing' from radars in teslas ) provide sm level accuracy just fine in urban environments.

It is open areas which does not allow sm accuracy with these tools alone - and here sm accuracy can be provided by augmented gps
And this accuracy can be provided not only by dispersed stations - ex Japan launches a space system to achieve sm level accuracy from gps over all Japan in few years ( by 2019 )

so gps, ins, lidars and radars are complimentary and it is ok that there are more ways to achieve better positioning of autonomous cars in most situations.
Hi, I think you may have missed the topic of this thread... it is about GPS positioning especially in situations where lidar and radar do not function correctly. You cannot say it won't be a problem because we'll have lidar if the premise is that lidar and radar are not functioning properly.

Hi, I think you may have missed the topic of this thread... it is about GPS positioning especially in situations where lidar and radar do not function correctly. You cannot say it won't be a problem because we'll have lidar if the premise is that lidar and radar are not functioning properly.

hmm. maybe.

but let read together

"Better GPS, means better placement, even when there aren't visual markers."

so consider there are no visual markers ( in open field ) then ok there is a help from better GPS.
but when there are visual markers ( already ) then - there is no problem - they are here already.

So it looks for me, this topic is about helping in open field, not when other devices are completely disabled

hmm. maybe.

but let read together

"Better GPS, means better placement, even when there aren't visual markers."

so consider there are no visual markers ( in open field ) then ok there is a help from better GPS.
but when there are visual markers ( already ) then - there is no problem - they are here already.

So it looks for me, this topic is about helping in open field, not when other devices are completely disabled
I'll quote the article itself:
Superaccurate GPS may soon solve three robocar bugbears—blurred lane markings, bad weather, and over-the-horizon blind spots. These are things lidar and radar often can’t see, see through, or see around.

Superaccurate GPS may soon solve three robocar bugbears—blurred lane markings, bad weather, and over-the-horizon blind spots. These are things lidar and radar often can’t see, see through, or see around.:

and then again - there is no indication of that GPS should replace lidar and radar where they work ok and where, in turn, GPS works not very well. So engineer will take a problem and find a solution in every situation - in both city canyons and on country roads - where there are no building to figure out position, blurred markings etc. There is a solution. But GPS still works not so great in city canyons - it's not a complete solution.

The more sensor input, the better these expert systems will operate. They only need to compete with the weak sensing us fleshbags enjoy without the ease of distraction that flaws our driving. I cannot wait to stop driving and let the car take over. :D