Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using AI to improve wipe malfunction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm writing to propose an enhancement to the AI algorithms that control the automatic windshield wipers in Tesla vehicles. I've noticed, along with others in the community, that the wipers sometimes activate unexpectedly in conditions such as bright sunlight, which seems to be due to the cameras mistaking reflections or other visual artifacts for raindrops.

Proposal:I suggest an improvement in the AI's image recognition capabilities to more accurately distinguish between actual raindrops and other misleading visual signals. By refining the neural networks to understand context more effectively—considering variables such as weather conditions, light levels, and time of day—Tesla can enhance the functionality and reliability of the auto-wiper system.

Potential Benefits:

1. Enhanced Driver Comfort and Convenience: By reducing false positives in wiper activation, drivers would experience fewer distractions and more consistent behavior from their vehicle’s automation.
  2. Safety Improvements: More accurate wiper activation directly correlates with better visibility and safer driving conditions.
  3. Customer Satisfaction: Fine-tuning this feature would underscore Tesla's commitment to leveraging cutting-edge technology to continuously improve the driving experience.

IMO This is one of those "they thought AI would be a miracle worker" and it isn't.

What I think the big problem with the neural-net wipers is simply the cameras can't see the rain.

I parked my car in a parking lot while it was lightly raining the other day and looked at the main/wide/narrow cams in the service menu. The only camera that could reliably see any precipitation on the windshield is the wide cam, and it still had trouble.

@Alphacar - your post sounds like "I think Tesla should do a better job at auto wipers". Everyone here agrees.

It's not going to happen though. They should've included a hardware rain sensor, but instead they chose to use cameras. The cameras and AI are inadequate for the job.

What they should focus on instead is better manual controls. Upon pressing the wiper button on the end of the stalk, the wiper card displays on screen. While that card is onscreen, scrolling up and down should increase/decrease the wiping speed... and there should be *many* more intervals.

I suggest instead of 4 intervals like it currently has, it should have a range selector that goes from 0 WPMs to 30 WPMs (wipes per minute).

You post like no one has thought of that. Tesla needs to make a serious shift, in new cars they should drop the whole AI wipers entierly and add the sensor. Those of stuck without a sensor they need shift to only using AI for detection and drop this entire one size fits all solution that works for no one. What they should do is use AI to detect rain then prompt the driver. If I agree they simple need to keep track of responses from the driver. In a week or two we would all have perfectly customized wipers. Every time we say go faster or slower it should just keep a record of current conditions and use it next time. So if you like fast wipers for light rain and I like slow we both get what we want. The whole issue would be solved with a bit of user input and very simple code. This is just a perfect example of a company that refuses to course correct.

Just going full manual, like the poster above me mentioned, would be heaven.

• Disagree
Reactions: legendsk
On the topic of helpful suggestions for Tesla, I wonder if they've considered making FSD just drive smoothly and not mistakes and go the right speed.

They just need to refine the neural networks a little bit to consider various variables like speed limits and road geometry and weather to make sure it does the right thing.

• Funny
Reactions: father_of_6
Deep Rain™ 🤣 🤣 AI happened 5 years ago because "rain is deep". This tread is out of date.

Deep Rain
Deep Bright lights
Deep Eye tracking
Deep $hit

Screenshot 2024-05-11 at 4.45.15 PM.png

In my humble opinion, what they should be doing, in the unlikely event they have not already, is tell the fleet to capture images of two events. When customers turn on the wipers and leave them on (wipers should be on), and when customers turn OFF auto wipers within a minute of the first auto wipe (wiper should not have wiped). Use those two sets of images to train a new auto wiper neural net. (Additional triggers and enhancements are of course possible, and may already have been tried.)

Of course even that won't work if @flutas is correct about the cameras.
What I think the big problem with the neural-net wipers is simply the cameras can't see the rain.

I parked my car in a parking lot while it was lightly raining the other day and looked at the main/wide/narrow cams in the service menu. The only camera that could reliably see any precipitation on the windshield is the wide cam, and it still had trouble.
While I think a true rain sensor, or camera(s) looking at the windshield from say the B pillar inside the car would probably work better, I don't think such an option will ever be available as a retrofit for my current MY, so they are just "should a, could a" speculation for my personal situation.

On the topic of helpful suggestions for Tesla, I wonder if they've considered making FSD just drive smoothly and not mistakes and go the right speed.

They just need to refine the neural networks a little bit to consider various variables like speed limits and road geometry and weather to make sure it does the right thing.
IMG_0631.gif

That's a great idea. They should consider making FSD drive like a *real* human with many years of experience.

When I purchased my 2017 Model X, it did not come with automatic wipers. 6 Months later automatic wipers and headlight dimming were added as a free feature with an OTA download. They both got even better over time, with development.
This is not unusual with Tesla. They invent something and install it into new production. Often it is just in beginning stages of evolution. Over time, they improve on it, and can update it to the latest, via OTA updates.
Other updates that came along were faster Falcon Wing Door operation, Tow mode, HEPA filter availability, Head lighting around corners when blinkers turned on, additional range, faster charging, better 2nd row ventilation, HOLD feature, and adjustable regeneration.
Tesla Evolves.

When I purchased my 2017 Model X, it did not come with automatic wipers. 6 Months later automatic wipers and headlight dimming were added as a free feature with an OTA download. They both got even better over time, with development.
This is not unusual with Tesla. They invent something and install it into new production. Often it is just in beginning stages of evolution. Over time, they improve on it, and can update it to the latest, via OTA updates.
Other updates that came along were faster Falcon Wing Door operation, Tow mode, HEPA filter availability, Head lighting around corners when blinkers turned on, additional range, faster charging, better 2nd row ventilation, HOLD feature, and adjustable regeneration.
Tesla Evolves.

I think what's being discussed here is that the auto wipers have *not* improved... or at least not enough to be effective.

The auto wipers on my Model 3 are mediocre at best. I recently took a long road trip and faced some rain during it... I generally had to manage the wipers manually, and many times just pressed the button periodically. Wipers in a Tesla require a lot of fidgeting.

This is one of the most baffling decisions that was made for our Tesla vehicles. The automatic wiping is almost universally disliked and one of the most common complaints.

As someone above mentioned, the cameras are just not capable no matter how much training goes into the AI model. It will never be able to work properly. Maybe it gets a little better in guessing what to do, but it’s unlikely to improve much from here. I know some people think AI is miracle software, but it’s not.

I spend way too much time asking my car why it just wiped a dry window or why it hasn’t wiped the window when I literally can’t see a damn thing in front of me. I end up manually controlling the wipers way more than my 2007 Jeep Commander. Why? Because Tesla didn’t want to include a sensor.

It’s bad enough for me that I kind of wish it was considered a safety concern and that Tesla was forced to recall and install sensors in our all vehicles and update the software to use them.