Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coming from ICE MDX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a perfect hamster who drives the same time each and every day. So, I just sold my MDX Advance and I'm doing the same route who is used to SHAWD which I can confirm is no joke. It gets the job done.

However, with my MYP I cannot push it the same way I could with my MDX. Coming off an on ramp I used to excelrate hard to hit a state sponsored emissions monitoring system. Now I fear for my life, it's not stable enough for me. SHAWD delivers the togue/power to the wheels that need it, sadly to me that's not the case with my MYP. I can no longer have fun before commuting. Sad.

Maybe a software update? All I know is that when Acura makes their EVS SHAWD, I'm down. Or maybe I need a Rivian.

• Disagree
Reactions: hollow23
For those that don’t know, SH-AWD is super handling all wheel drive. Honda/Acuras version of torque vectoring AWD that will overdrive the outside rear wheel to help rotate the car and provide more neutral handling when accelerating through a corner.

Teslas are set up to understeer at the limit from the factory so it will definitely feel less capable in a fast corner than SH-AWD.

Tesla doesn’t have anything like that except the Model S/X plaid since they have two independent rear motors, although I think it only torque vectors in track mode?

For those that don’t know, SH-AWD is super handling all wheel drive. Honda/Acuras version of torque vectoring AWD that will overdrive the outside rear wheel to help rotate the car and provide more neutral handling when accelerating through a corner.

Teslas are set up to understeer at the limit from the factory so it will definitely feel less capable in a fast corner than SH-AWD.

Tesla doesn’t have anything like that except the Model S/X plaid since they have two independent rear motors, although I think it only torque vectors in track mode?
Oh, I see. Marketing jargon that we're all just expected to know. Got it. Thanks for taking the time to explain that.

Now that that's out of the way... You're comparing Tesla's version of the Honda Civic (entry-level, point A to point B transport engineered for efficiency) to Acura's performance-focused and purpose built SUV? Of course it's going to fall short in a couple of minor categories. It makes up for that ever-so-slight difference at the limit in just about every other category here.

Just like any other car out there, if being able to mash your right foot to the floor on your on-ramp every morning is the most important aspect of a vehicle for you, choose the right vehicle.

No idea why people think that a Model 3 or Model Y is supposed to hang with Ferraris and Lamborghinis (or MDX Advance in this case) on the track. I guess it's a good sign that people lump them all into the same category when the Model 3/Y was never intended to be compared directly to them.

M3P I had with track mode was awesome as it had a slider for picking front/rear bias so you could adjust to understeer like a FWD car or oversteer like RWD or any balance in between.

Assume MYP track mode has same feature.

I can't imagine an MDX can contend with a MYP in super spirited track level driving. Of course the M3P and plaids would be even better.

A bit odd comparison IMO
I've driven the MDX and found the engine to be annoying even though it was stable on the road, but so its my Tesla and many other cars feel the same
The MDX is a gas guzzler is not even a hybrid and it has been like that for the past 10-15 years? You need SHAWD? Really?

The MYP is not a race car by any means. Maybe the S, but still not the same level of the Porsche. The MDX is a performance family SUV. Its a great build car, but I am sorry, even with the SHAWD this gas guzzler has been sleeping since the 90s and who knows when they are going to wake up.

Lol you are comparing SUV to an electric SUV. Not sure how you togue SUVs. I drive ND2 Miata and Model Y is my family car basically a replacement for 2022 accord hybrid (which sucked as a Honda car). I would go on back roads with a Miata for fun but not model Y as both are meant for different purposes

Oh, I see. Marketing jargon that we're all just expected to know. Got it. Thanks for taking the time to explain that.

Now that that's out of the way... You're comparing Tesla's version of the Honda Civic (entry-level, point A to point B transport engineered for efficiency) to Acura's performance-focused and purpose built SUV? Of course it's going to fall short in a couple of minor categories. It makes up for that ever-so-slight difference at the limit in just about every other category here.

Just like any other car out there, if being able to mash your right foot to the floor on your on-ramp every morning is the most important aspect of a vehicle for you, choose the right vehicle.

No idea why people think that a Model 3 or Model Y is supposed to hang with Ferraris and Lamborghinis (or MDX Advance in this case) on the track. I guess it's a good sign that people lump them all into the same category when the Model 3/Y was never intended to be compared directly to them.
Dude, an MDX is not a track vehicle. I'm just simply stating what I was used to and came from after 10 years, and what I purchased. I'm happy with my purchase. Thanks to E90alex for providing the details on SH-AWD I apologize for not providing full context. Since I'm new to an EV I'm just learning my way around it and basing it off of what I am used to.