Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No news is good news ?
Good news is that 90% of recipients of the Oxford vaccine produced neutralizing antibodies after one dose. Bad news is that 70% of people developed headaches or fever.
Oxford coronavirus vaccine triggers immune response
Good news is that Coronavirus briefings are starting again tomorrow. Bad news is who is giving them. I'm sure he'll be laser focused on making sure the vaccine rollout goes smoothly.

On question is how long the vaccine may offer protection. It would kind of suck if we had to go through the headache & fever routine every 3 months forever to keep it at bay.
Unlikely but at this stage of the game we still don't know a lot about what kind of immunity is associated with the post covid state. Given the enormous spectrum of response to this pathogen in terms of symptoms, and difficulty fending it off, it's safe to assume that the immunological outcome is not homogeneous either. Additionally a lot of people are conflating immunity completely with antibodies and that's just not true, as there's also T cell memory, which could confer significant immunity for a much longer period of time, and where recruitment of B cells which are essentially the antibody factories would be relatively rapid. People are just jumping the gun in so many ways about this issue.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: madodel
A "game-changing" treatment for coronavirus could cut the chance of serious illness by 80 per cent, research suggests. Trials using an inhaled protein, commonly used to treat multiple sclerosis, found patients who were given it were more than twice as likely to recover during the treatment period than those given a placebo. Stays in hospital were cut by one third, according to the study of Southampton hospital patients. The treatment, from biotech firm Synairgen, uses a protein called interferon beta, which the body produces when it gets a viral infection.
Coronavirus drug hailed as game-changer after trial finds it cuts chances of severe illness

Unlikely but at this stage of the game we still don't know a lot about what kind of immunity is associated with the post covid state. Additionally a lot of people are conflating immunity completely with antibodies and that's just not true, as there's also T cell memory, which could confer significant immunity for a much longer period of time, and where recruitment of B cells which are essentially the antibody factories would be relatively rapid. People are just jumping the gun in so many ways about this issue.

Speaking of jumping the gun, the New York Times just had a review piece on how the release of research prior to peer-review is creating a scientific version of the Wild West. And as Exhibit A for jumping the gun, I was pleased to see that they referenced Ionnadis' terrible antibody study (which confidently and wrongly announced that the actual number of covid-19 infections was 45 to 85 times greater than the actual number of cases). What the study may have referenced accidentally was the amount of idiocy in the study which was 45 to 85 times greater than in the average scientific paper. Indeed that paper was a low water mark in my estimation in terms of cooked results where biases corrupted study methods, statistics, and outcomes.

That link requires a subscription. Here is the BBC article on Interferon Covid treatment trial described as 'breakthrough' Sounds promising but just a small study cohort. Also this looks like a short term use of interferon so hopefully the side effects should be minimized.

The initial findings suggest the treatment cut the odds of a Covid-19 patient in hospital developing severe disease - such as requiring ventilation - by 79%.

Patients were two to three times more likely to recover to the point where everyday activities were not compromised by their illness, Synairgen claims.

It said the trial also indicated "very significant" reductions in breathlessness among patients who received the treatment.

In addition, the average time patients spent in hospital is said to have been reduced by a third, for those receiving the new drug - down from an average of nine days to six days.

After so many infections and deaths he thinks it's cool to wear a mask. I was wondering how after saying people don't need to wear one they would have to do an about face and start wearing them due to the high spread of it. Guess election time is getting close and panic (of the non-covid type) is setting in. Time to look pro-active and hope people have a short memory.

Trump tweets image of himself wearing a mask and calls it 'patriotic' - CNNPolitics

After so many infections and deaths he thinks it's cool to wear a mask. I was wondering how after saying people don't need to wear one they would have to do an about face and start wearing them due to the high spread of it. Guess election time is getting close and panic (of the non-covid type) is setting in. Time to look pro-active and hope people have a short memory.

Trump tweets image of himself wearing a mask and calls it 'patriotic' - CNNPolitics
Xw02fZY_d.webp

That link requires a subscription. Here is the BBC article on Interferon Covid treatment trial described as 'breakthrough' Sounds promising but just a small study cohort. Also this looks like a short term use of interferon so hopefully the side effects should be minimized.

The initial findings suggest the treatment cut the odds of a Covid-19 patient in hospital developing severe disease - such as requiring ventilation - by 79%.

Patients were two to three times more likely to recover to the point where everyday activities were not compromised by their illness, Synairgen claims.

It said the trial also indicated "very significant" reductions in breathlessness among patients who received the treatment.

In addition, the average time patients spent in hospital is said to have been reduced by a third, for those receiving the new drug - down from an average of nine days to six days.

For sure this was an obvious drug to try giving that interferons are some of evolution's great 'inventions' so to speak in terms of shutting down viruses through a variety of mechanisms. On the other hand it's not fun to be on interferon. but a shorter less profound covid-19 infection sounds like it's a worthwhile trade-off. it's encouraging that we're beginning to develop some treatment algorithms both for the more seriously ill and septic patients and also perhaps ways of preventing that trajectory.

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: traxila and madodel
Here's an analysis of relative effectiveness of various methods (through simulation). Seems like we can open up to 100% if we're competent! I assume this is how other countries are doing this!

No idea what the starting point of infection density is for these simulations. I would assume that to some extent that might matter, even if you assumed perfect scaling of the measures, due to network effects that probably kick in once infections are dense enough.

EdZtxBZU0AALHwd.png

This makes too much sense. Cheap and easy solution to stopping transmission and quick results.
I'm surprised no country has tried to rollout these home tests. I had heard that the sensitivity of these antigen tests was low but I had no idea it was so correlated with viral load. They make a very convincing argument.
The current testing system makes no sense. We should not allow a backlog of tests to form. It would be far better to get some people results in 24 hours and throw out every sample that can't be completed within 24 hours.

I'm surprised no country has tried to rollout these home tests. I had heard that the sensitivity of these antigen tests was low but I had no idea it was so correlated with viral load. They make a very convincing argument.
The current testing system makes no sense. We should not allow a backlog of tests to form. It would be far better to get some people results in 24 hours and throw out every sample that can't be completed within 24 hours.
Stopping transmission should be the priority. With "Paper" testing we could open schools and attend outdoor sporting events. It's cheap and makes sense, that's a bad combo in this world.

• Funny
Reactions: Dr. J

I see it as addressing his followers. It's the first thing i've seen him do for the benefit of those who still believe in him. Whether they recognize it as an admission of being wrong is another question.

I see it as addressing his followers. It's the first thing i've seen him do for the benefit of those who still believe in him. Whether they recognize it as an admission of being wrong is another question.
I see it as a desperate ploy to get re-elected. The only person he intends to benefit is Donald J. Trump (as always).

Still waiting for results after ten days. Trust me when I say that there’s no chance of getting the backlog down to one day short of taking all the people whose cost cutting resulted in the current lab shortage, exposing them all to the virus, and telling them that their results will arrive in a year unless they pony up the money to buy the equipment to build out all the labs that we should already have.

• Love
  • Funny
Reactions: Dr. J and madodel