Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
300/day is similar to flu season, which doesn't create much urgency. COVID is still 3x worse since it's year round vs. seasonal, but it doesn't "feel" worse than what we're used to.
That's a horrible argument - we should also take the flu more seriously as well!

There's a ton of basic building science we could be applying to reduce both the spread of COVID and other airborne diseases like the flu - air ventilation and filtration, but very, very little has been done in that area. Some basic standards around indoor air quality would go a long ways towards reducing the spread of disease and minimal cost.

Also looks like my super rough numbers were off by almost a factor of two - and we're currently in a bit of a lull with the average death rate slowly climbing likely due to the effect of boosters waning, the fall season and school going back into session.

Just because it doesn't "feel" worse, doesn't mean that we should give up - as we've seen time and time again, new strains and waves will come and it's best to be prepared.

1662110649213.png

Boosters can allegedly now be scheduled through CVS website (and maybe elsewhere? I just saw this link…) by appointment, but it is unclear how you determine for sure it will be bivalent. It just seems to suggest they now all are (authorization for the others has been withdrawn I think?).

Scheduled! Fifth time is the charm!

The trendy response on Twitter to this rapid rollout is “8 mice.”

Boosters can allegedly now be scheduled through CVS website (and maybe elsewhere? I just saw this link…) by appointment, but it is unclear how you determine for sure it will be bivalent. It just seems to suggest they now all are (authorization for the others has been withdrawn I think?).

I called my local CVS to confirm, because through the scheduling app it wasn't clear if the booster (Moderna) on the scheduling site was for the bivalent vaccine or not, despite what the note on the vaccine page says.

The pharmacist said they were not giving out "2nd boosters" to anyone < 50 or not immunocompromised despite what the website said.

Let us know how your appt goes, when is it?

The pharmacist said they were not giving out "2nd boosters" to anyone < 50 or not immunocompromised despite what the website said.
Appointment is the 10th, I wanted to wait four months. The above sounds like the old guidance of course. And this is not a second booster; it’s technically a first booster I guess? Or something. I figure in a week they’ll have it figured out.

There were no website restrictions on age and of course there are no such restrictions (other than 18 for Moderna) for this booster (previously fairly sure it would have kicked me out?).

——

Congratulations everyone, welcome to perpetual COVID!!! There probably won’t be enough uptake of this imperfect vaccine to kill this, but maybe it will help. If only people tried to avoid spreading it!

Very unclear at this point what is the endgame or whether it truly will get to everyone, and then mostly go away or become like a regular cold (I doubt this at this point):

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
because through the scheduling app it wasn't clear if the booster (Moderna) on the scheduling site was for the bivalent vaccine or not, despite what the note on the vaccine page says.
The old booster is no longer approved as a booster FWIW. And if you really want to check the pharmacist’s work, look for a dark blue cap vial with a label with a gray border (not a purple border).

“On August 31, 2022, having concluded that revising this EUA is appropriate to protect the public health or safety under section 564(g)(2) of the Act, FDA is reissuing the June 17, 2022 letter of authorization in its entirety with revisions incorporated to authorize the use of Moderna COVID- 19 Vaccine, Bivalent (Original and Omicron BA.4/BA.5) in multiple dose vials with dark blue caps and labels with gray borders (each 0.5 mL dose containing a total of 50 mcg mRNA) for the prevention of COVID-19 in individuals 18 years of age or older as a single booster dose administered at least 2 months after….”

“ This means that the multiple-dose vials with dark blue caps and labels with a purple border that are labeled “BOOSTER DOSES ONLY” are not authorized to provide booster doses. Instead, the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine vials labeled “BOOSTER DOSES ONLY” are only authorized to provide primary series doses (0.5 mL each) for individuals 6 through 11 years of age.”

Super clear.

The old booster is no longer approved as a booster FWIW. And if you really want to check the pharmacist’s work, look for a dark blue cap vial with a label with a gray border (not a purple border).

“On August 31, 2022, having concluded that revising this EUA is appropriate to protect the public health or safety under section 564(g)(2) of the Act, FDA is reissuing the June 17, 2022 letter of authorization in its entirety with revisions incorporated to authorize the use of Moderna COVID- 19 Vaccine, Bivalent (Original and Omicron BA.4/BA.5) in multiple dose vials with dark blue caps and labels with gray borders (each 0.5 mL dose containing a total of 50 mcg mRNA) for the prevention of COVID-19 in individuals 18 years of age or older as a single booster dose administered at least 2 months after….”

“ This means that the multiple-dose vials with dark blue caps and labels with a purple border that are labeled “BOOSTER DOSES ONLY” are not authorized to provide booster doses. Instead, the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine vials labeled “BOOSTER DOSES ONLY” are only authorized to provide primary series doses (0.5 mL each) for individuals 6 through 11 years of age.”

Super clear.
Yeah, so clear that the CVS pharmacist I talked to is all confused.

Doesn't matter now, though, since the CVS website is no longer listing any COVID appointments.

I called my local CVS to confirm, because through the scheduling app it wasn't clear if the booster (Moderna) on the scheduling site was for the bivalent vaccine or not, despite what the note on the vaccine page says.

Let us know how your appt goes, when is it?
2nd booster?, for me it would be 3rd booster (I've had 4 shots of Moderna so far, so pfizer or moderna this time will be #5).

I am over 50 though.

I'm thinking Mid to late October or early early November so I'm current vs BA5 before the holiday travel season.

past jabs

* Mar 2021
* Apr 2021
* Dec 2021
* June 2022

It's interesting to see the change in attitude. In 2021 they'd give the vaccine to pretty much anybody. Both times I was boosted no one ask me my age and I don't look like I'm 50. But it was guidance at the time to get the shot and they were eager to hand them out.

Last edited:
2nd booster?, for me it would be 3rd booster (I've had 4 shots of Moderna so far, so pfizer or moderna this time will be #5).

I am over 50 though.

I'm thinking Mid to late October or early early November so I'm current before the holiday travel season.

past jabs

* Mar 2021
* Apr 2021
* Dec 2021
* June 2022
Immunologists seem to suggest four months minimum as a good interval (otherwise the immune response is potentially not of as good quality). So probably good to wait another month if low risk in the meantime. Depends on the individual situation. Not medical advice!

Immunologists seem to suggest four months minimum as a good interval (otherwise the immune response is potentially not of as good quality). So probably good to wait another month if low risk in the meantime. Depends on the individual situation. Not medical advice!
My work posts the CDC county warning on the door every time it changes. I watch the news.

So long as there isn't an insane outbreak I'll hold off until late October to hit that 4 month mark plus some (grab the vaccine on a weekend, no hurry).

If there is a huge outbreak before then I might push it to mid October or whatever date I can find.

A lot of time between now and then. I don't have my June vaccine date in front of me but I probably have over 30 days to wait.

Reactions: madodel
I quickly poked through and seemed to have no issue seeing some appointments that are not far away.
Must have been a glitch in the website when I wrote that post. Scheduled an appointment for this afternoon, not as close as I liked, but not too far. Preferred to not wait until next weekend.

The CVS website does seem to make it pretty clear that you're scheduling for a bivalent booster, so who knows what the pharmacist that I talked to earlier was thinking. Will show up and see what happens!

Yes, 2nd "booster" (2x Pfizer, 1x Moderna).

Got an appointment for 1:30pm today at VONS last night. Guess there's not much demand for this vaccine.
I'm hoping I'm close enough to a mouse for it to work.

Actually, did they even test if it worked for the 8 mice? I mean by exposing them to the virus.
Yeah, plenty of appointments available, big contrast from when the initial vaccines were released.

So far no major side effects for me after Sunday evening Moderna bivalent jab, sore arm, headache, achy and tired yesterday, feeling better today, though not quite 100% - I expect to be good tomorrow. In contrast to my first booster which knocked me out pretty good, this one is fine.

Reactions: DrGriz
Booster is available at Walgreen. We are scheduled for tomorrow (Wed) afternoon (booked on Sunday).

September 02, 2022
Walgreens Now Offering Appointments for Updated COVID-19 Pfizer and Moderna Boosters
Updated COVID-19 boosters are now available for individuals aged 12 years and older to help protect communities against newer variants like Omicron BA.4 and BA.5.
<snip> The updated COVID-19 booster is developed to more effectively protect against the latest viral variants, including Omicron BA.4 and BA.5, the dominant virus strains in the United States.
“Walgreens has played a vital role in responding to COVID-19 as millions have turned to us as a trusted and convenient vaccination destination,” said Dr. Anita Patel, vice president, pharmacy services development, Walgreens. “This season, we encourage everyone to stay protected by getting vaccinated with this more targeted updated COVID-19 booster in addition to receiving their flu shot or other routine immunizations in a single visit.”
<snip> Available at Walgreens locations. For the best experience, individuals are encouraged to make appointments for COVID-19 vaccines, boosters, flu shots and other vaccinations through Walgreens.com/ScheduleVaccine, the Walgreens app or 1-800-WALGREENS.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Booster is available at Walgreen. We are scheduled for tomorrow (Wed) afternoon (booked on Sunday).

September 02, 2022
Walgreens Now Offering Appointments for Updated COVID-19 Pfizer and Moderna Boosters
Updated COVID-19 boosters are now available for individuals aged 12 years and older to help protect communities against newer variants like Omicron BA.4 and BA.5.
Thanks, just signed up. Interestingly only the Pfizer one is available in my region right now.

I talked with one of the pharmacists this weekend, and she said that there are still plenty of the original monovalent booster just sitting around. Would be a shame to waste it, but so be it.

By the way, does anyone know if the Pfizer bivalvent booster has new packaging (i.e. cap/label color, etc.) compared to the original monovalent booster?

Reactions: scottf200
Would be a shame to waste it, but so be it
It’s still approved as the primary series in 12 and older, FWIW.
By the way, does anyone know if the Pfizer bivalvent booster has new packaging (i.e. cap/label color, etc.) compared to the original monovalent booster?
More than you want to know:

Same cap and color label. For Pfizer. Moderna details above. Not really sure how this is supposed to work. Hopefully the label specifies! Seems like this could lead to confusion!

Maybe they’re just actually shipping single-dose vials? No idea.

7661176E-A9E2-40A7-8CBE-D7B9DEA04C02.png
AA5198B6-8773-4ED5-8C93-4063AB499083.png

Boosted! That makes five, perhaps I am addicted.

There was no way to tell what I got. I did ask multiple times to ensure it was the bivalent Moderna. The pharmacist said it was.
I’m behind, got my 4th yesterday afternoon. Went with Moderna this time. Felt a little off last night but not nearly as bad as 2nd dose or 1st booster. Feel normal now. I guess my immune system had forgotten about sars-cov-2. I’ll take this as evidence that I never got Omicron (plus the fact that I had no nucleocapsid antibodies in April).