Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Dashboard for Tesla - the better app for your Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@SomeJoe7777 , in my testing you do not need the official app installed or even internet connection to sync contacts with your vehicle, that is done over Bluetooth and as well it should right since what good are contacts if your phone isn't connected to call them.

Currently you do need the official app installed in order to sync calendar events, and that is done using known APIs so technically I can add support for that within the app, maybe even abuse it to do some cool stuff @supratachophobia described way early on with trip routing. The one thing I cannot feasibly support that the official app will always have over others is the push-notifications for things like summon start/stop, charge start, firmware update, etc.

Regardless, I've finished adding 2 new settings: 1 to toggle off service error notifications (you'll get a toast instead), and the other to view past service errors recorded.

I'm finishing up testing new camper mode changes, a new days-of-week setting for plug-in reminder, and a new "Start HVAC near completion" setting for Smart Charging. Once I'm satisfied with this and unless something urgent comes up I plan to start the next big thing - Automatic Behaviors.

Wait a minute. You can play with Calendar API in order to create waypoints?!?!? You evil bastard. Stop working on all the other super-important things and work on this immediately.

This could also mean that you could query Google Maps to see what restaurants are coming up at the next exit and then put those "events" with addresses into the calendar for you to click should you want to navigate to them. Then repeat every 10 miles or so.....

Hey all,

A new update is available today, 1.18.4, with some quality of life improvements and fixes.

-

Changelog
  • Added Start HVAC near completion option to Smart Charging
  • Added days-of-week option to Plug-In Reminder
  • Re-built Camper Mode to be more reliable using exact alarms ( @David99 )
  • Added service error notification settings
  • Widget improvements
  • Bug fixes

Coming Soon

Automatic Behaviors

Allows you to schedule vehicle commands to be sent automatically under conditions you set yourself.
With this you can do all sorts of things automatically, here are some examples using a time condition:

• Start the HVAC system Monday-Friday at 9 AM and 5 PM
• Close the sun roof every night and open every morning
• Start charging at a specific time
• Lock the vehicle every night
Future versions will have more conditions than just time, like checking vehicle status or the weather (automatically close sun roof if the weather has precipitation for example).
-

Let me know if you have any issues, questions, or ideas,
Happy Tuesday!

Hey all,

A new update is available today, 1.18.4, with some quality of life improvements and fixes.

-

Changelog
  • Added Start HVAC near completion option to Smart Charging
  • Added days-of-week option to Plug-In Reminder
  • Re-built Camper Mode to be more reliable using exact alarms ( @David99 )
  • Added service error notification settings
  • Widget improvements
  • Bug fixes

Coming Soon

Automatic Behaviors

Allows you to schedule vehicle commands to be sent automatically under conditions you set yourself.
With this you can do all sorts of things automatically, here are some examples using a time condition:

• Start the HVAC system Monday-Friday at 9 AM and 5 PM
• Close the sun roof every night and open every morning
• Start charging at a specific time
• Lock the vehicle every night
Future versions will have more conditions than just time, like checking vehicle status or the weather (automatically close sun roof if the weather has precipitation for example).​
-

Let me know if you have any issues, questions, or ideas,
Happy Tuesday!
This guy is great....

Re: Added Start HVAC near completion option to Smart Charging

Does anyone else have multiple Smart Charging setups for the *same* location where they would want the charging SOC to be different percentages? If others did then I would ask for that option to be added (i.e. set SOC % as an option for each Smart Charging setup)

a) I have one that I use for my daily charging to 80% and ends at 5am (when my rates start going up)
b) I have another that I use for my travel charging to 100% and ends at 8am (when I generally leave on a roadtrip). I added Start HVAC near completion for this as we need to maximize our charge.

Love this app SG57

Reactions: SG57
Added Start HVAC near completion option to Smart Charging

Oohh.... That's a GREAT option that I hadn't thought of! Glad to hear of improvements to Camper Mode too: I had trouble with it staying on when I did a winter road trip, and didn't want to haul in stuff to my hotel room that I didn't want to freeze. (Everything was OK, since it was only off for a few hours.) The custom Automatic Behaviors sound really great too.

So here's my question: have you heard of "android family sharing"? That's when (say) a husband and wife can both use a paid app without having to buy it twice. Do you think it's reasonable for this app? After all, we're only controlling one car.... Anyway, something to think about. Thanks!

Thanks for the support guys!

@scottf200 , it's relatively easy to add a setting like that people can opt into, however I'd need to know a little more logistics behind when the "set charge limit" command would be sent. I'm thinking it would have to be sent immediately when the vehicle plugged in and the location is enabled, because it directly affects the amount of charge required which affects when to start charging.

@ThisIsTrue , sorry, the old Camper Mode implementation had seen so many renovations and adjustments when developing Smart Charging that it very well may have lost reliability. I've completely re-built it using the same practices Smart Charging uses for reliability so it should be solid. I've been testing it for weeks now, and actually I've been abusing it to automatically start the HVAC around the time I'll be in the vehicle next according to my schedule. So if I know I'll be leaving at 5 pm, I schedule Camper Mode to start 4:45 pm and end automatically 5:15 pm. This abuse works in the mean time, but Automatic Behaviors is what's meant for this idea of scheduled commands and allows so much more flexibility. Soon!

I have heard of Android Family Sharing, and while it allows sharing paid apps, unfortunately it doesn't allow sharing in-app purchases. I really have no way around this limitation without massive overhead of implementing my own in-app billing service where I can bind purchases to vehicles instead of Google accounts, but then I can no longer distribute through the Play Store if I offer in-app purchases that aren't through Google Play's Billing services. I can't even offer a donation link/button that doesn't go through Google's Billing services or I get taken down.

Tell you what I can do though, I can send you a promo code that you can redeem on your wife's Google account that will grant her Standard Access for free.

I have heard of Android Family Sharing, and while it allows sharing paid apps, unfortunately it doesn't allow sharing in-app purchases.

There's always a gotcha! And yes, thinking about it, I can see how that would be a sticky mess really fast.

Tell you what I can do though, I can send you a promo code that you can redeem on your wife's Google account that will grant her Standard Access for free.

So, essentially, the core program. But wouldn't doing the "Family Share" of that solve the issue in general, and if someone wants add-ons, they just have to pay for it (maybe "again")? That way, you're kind of splitting the difference -- a nice discount, but you still get some additional compensation. In other words, I appreciate the offer (and I accept!), but that's a one-off fix to a systemic problem, and maybe splitting the difference is a win-win for all. I'll pop you a note via your Support address.

Re: Added Start HVAC near completion option to Smart Charging
Does anyone else have multiple Smart Charging setups for the *same* location where they would want the charging SOC to be different percentages? If others did then I would ask for that option to be added (i.e. set SOC % as an option for each Smart Charging setup)
a) I have one that I use for my daily charging to 80% and ends at 5am (when my rates start going up)
b) I have another that I use for my travel charging to 100% and ends at 8am (when I generally leave on a roadtrip). I added Start HVAC near completion for this as we need to maximize our charge.

Thanks for the support guys!
@scottf200 , it's relatively easy to add a setting like that people can opt into, however I'd need to know a little more logistics behind when the "set charge limit" command would be sent. I'm thinking it would have to be sent immediately when the vehicle plugged in and the location is enabled, because it directly affects the amount of charge required which affects when to start charging.
Thanks @SG57 ! I understand your point about logistics BUT I would think that you could "set charge limit" it in the same place/time that you currently check the "charging SOC limit" for your calculation. i.e. Today If I have my cars "charging SOC limit" 80% and I have my "Smart Charging" set to my "a)" (see above) option then at some point you check my car and see 80% then do your math to see the start time. So at that time today that "see 80%" check that is where it would seem you would do the "set charge limit", verify it was set, and then do your match. Hope that makes sense.

I don't know if you anticipated people having multiple Smart Charging setups that are the *same* location. In my case, it would not affect me if you just only allowed one to be selected at a time. If you did anticipate this and mentioned it, I do not recall how you handle conflicts. In today current app the conflicts are just overlapping times it seems. With the above you have the conflict of "set charge limit". Personally I will only have one Smart Charging location enabled at a time. For now you may want to just put out a warning if there are multiple Smart Charging options enabled for the SAME location and tell them there may be some conflicts. Hope that made sense. I can talk to you off line as well.

@ThisIsTrue , I've replied to you through email, let me know if you did not receive it.

@scottf200 , I anticipated multiple smart charging locations at the *same* location such that I put protection in against multiple operating at the same time. In the Smart Charging location edit dialog if you touch the "?" under the Options label it explains what happens. Only the top-most smart charging location will be used if multiple locations are the same and are enabled where locations are accurate to within 10 meters.

Just so I understand, could the behavior you're looking for be achieved if I added a smart charging location option "Set charge limit to X%" , then if the smart charging service is using that location (because it's enabled and the vehicle is in the correct location (and is plugged-in?))then I make sure the charge limit is set to that X%? So if you had 2 smart charging locations both at the same location, one configured to set to 80% (your daily setting), and one configured to set to 100% (your road trip setting), then simply disabling and enabling your desired location will effectively manage the charge limit for you.

I plan to add some improvements based on our discussion already, so I apologize if my questioning seems redundant!

Just so I understand, could the behavior you're looking for be achieved if I added a smart charging location option "Set charge limit to X%" , then if the smart charging service is using that location (because it's enabled and the vehicle is in the correct location (and is plugged-in?))then I make sure the charge limit is set to that X%? So if you had 2 smart charging locations both at the same location, one configured to set to 80% (your daily setting), and one configured to set to 100% (your road trip setting), then simply disabling and enabling your desired location will effectively manage the charge limit for you. I plan to add some improvements based on our discussion already, so I apologize if my questioning seems redundant!
@SG57 , Excellent. You seem to understand.

Simple use case is: Enable 80% Smart Charging normally.
1) Roadtrip on Sat so on Fri disable 80% Smart Charging option and enable 100% Smart Charging option. Leave Sat for roadtrip with 100% charge.
2) Return home on Sun so on Sun (or Sat while away) disable 100% Smart Charging option and enable 80% Smart Charging option. Wake up on Mon with 80% charge.

P.S. Since your help says if multiple Smart charging are set to the same location only one will be used, have you considered a simple feature of if you have multiple and enable one then it disables the others automatically. In example above, if I enable 100% one then it automatically disables 80% one. if I enable the 80% one then it disables the 100% one. You could pop a warning msg if you do this ... or not since it will visually show the other one was disabled (unchecked).

Last edited:
Reactions: MP3Mike and SG57
There's always a gotcha! And yes, thinking about it, I can see how that would be a sticky mess really fast.

So, essentially, the core program. But wouldn't doing the "Family Share" of that solve the issue in general, and if someone wants add-ons, they just h!ave to pay for it (maybe "again")? That way, you're kind of splitting the difference -- a nice discount, but you still get some additional compensation. In other words, I appreciate the offer (and I accept!), but that's a one-off fix to a systemic problem, and maybe splitting the difference is a win-win for all. I'll pop you a !note via your Support address.

Maybe just buy the app?

Yet there's a Google-provided function that gives publishers the option to not have to, so I suggested to the publisher that he look into it. You have a problem with this suggestion that has nothing to do with YOU ...why?
Pardon me for sticking my nose into this, but .... do you like to work for free? Probably not and I'm sure @SG57 neither. Just buy the app which you apparently be using to support the developer and further development.

Pardon me if I misunderstood the issue/question and went in the wrong direction.

@scottf200 , not a bad idea! Makes sense to disable the locations not being used if multiple are enabled at the same location. And okay, your feature request to add an additional option to smart charging is sensible enough. I think everyone would benefit by having an option to set their charge limit for that smart charging location. I'll add it to the list, it shall be done but I'm focusing on automatic behaviors at the moment. Making good progress, good things are coming!

@MasterT , so the problem is @ThisIsTrue would like to use the app on the same vehicle, but on 2 separate Google accounts (his and his wife's). To do this, he would normally have to purchase access for both accounts separately. His question about Android's Family Sharing is a valid one considering that's exactly what that is supposed to avoid if the app developer enables it in the Play Store.

Currently it's actually been enabled for Dashboard for Tesla from the start. Unfortunately, Family Sharing only works with pay-to-download apps and it does not have any support for in-app purchases, so it's out of my hands because the app is free to download with in-app purchases. Under @ThisIsTrue 's circumstances, I have no problem helping out honest people wanting to use the app on the same vehicle across 2 Google accounts by providing special promo codes. This issue has been resolved, all is well.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm new to this app and just purchased the app and smart charging option. Now here're some issues...

1. The app crashes almost every time it went to background on Android 7.0 (Xperia XZ).
2. Smart charging worked only once, but not after. I have only one location configured, and I usually turns it on by checking the checkbox next to the location name. Since my phone has no connection at the parking lot, I plug in and charging starts, then I go out and start the app, check the box and change the charge finish time. Even though I keep the app in the foreground the car doesn't stop charging and keep charging until it reaches the % limit.
3. Today I see very wierd sleep behavior. After using this app it seems the car wakes up after five minutes into sleep. Is there any server side polling?

Hi, I'm new to this app and just purchased the app and smart charging option. Now here're some issues...

1. The app crashes almost every time it went to background on Android 7.0 (Xperia XZ).
2. Smart charging worked only once, but not after. I have only one location configured, and I usually turns it on by checking the checkbox next to the location name. Since my phone has no connection at the parking lot, I plug in and charging starts, then I go out and start the app, check the box and change the charge finish time. Even though I keep the app in the foreground the car doesn't stop charging and keep charging until it reaches the % limit.
3. Today I see very wierd sleep behavior. After using this app it seems the car wakes up after five minutes into sleep. Is there any server side polling?
Did you exclude the app from Battery Optimization?

Reactions: hiroshiy and SG57
@hiroshiy , sorry you've experienced so many issues, let's see if we can figure it out. It might help to try the app out on a different device to see if you can reproduce the exact same issues to help narrow down the cause of these issues being device-specific.

1. The app crashing when going into the background is very strange. I'll put more error handling around things that happen when the app is moving to the background, but this is the first I've heard of this happening and I'm unable to reproduce it. Is there anything special about your device? Is it rooted? Do you have developer mode enabled? If so, have you enabled anything extra in the developer settings?

2. This sounds like your device entered doze mode, a new feature on Android 6.0+. Doze mode is a battery optimization setting that restricts network access in background services and apps to help conserve battery. To avoid this, you must disable battery optimizations for the app Dashboard for Tesla explicitly yourself. You can get to this setting easily by going to the Settings screen in the app and touching the Battery Optimizations menu option under the Background Services group.

3. Weird sleep behavior from the device or the car? If you have a smart charging location enabled, then every 15 minutes your device will poll the car to see if it's at an enabled smart charging location and if it's plugged-in before applying the smart charging logic. You'll know your smart charging location is active by a permanent notification in the status bar with the current smart charging status explained with times of interest.

Let me know if there's anything I can do, I notice you're in Japan so that very well may be a factor here as well.

-

For everyone else, here's a teaser (*subject to change):

automatic_behaviors1.jpg

Reactions: Alex D