Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dc combo for USA port

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are there any updates on this?
CCS Adapter for North America had a pointer to
from Oct 25. Unfortunately, I don't understand Korean and Google's auto-translate is horrible. That said, you can see him start charging and charging rates at various points (e.g. 1:11) and some discrepancies from what's on the car's display at 2:05. I haven't watched the whole thing.

Reactions: theothertom
CCS Adapter for North America had a pointer to
from Oct 25. Unfortunately, I don't understand Korean and Google's auto-translate is horrible. That said, you can see him start charging and charging rates at various points (e.g. 1:11) and some discrepancies from what's on the car's display at 2:05. I haven't watched the whole thing.

Looks pretty promising from the recent videos he posted, around 70kw charging, better than chademo at 50kw. Not Tesla supercharging speeds for sure, but much better than relying on level 2 chargers.

Reactions: kayak1
Not sure where you're getting 440V from, but the Model 3 won't charge above 400V, so 80 kW is the max given the 200A limit. At low SOC, it will be less, around 70 kW.

The charge speed would be similar to an Urban Supercharger.

440V is a 'common' voltage level (110, 220, 440) found in most industrial parks. I had assumed that is what the SuC see once it is transformed down, but that was just a guess on my part. One the plus side, even 80kW is better than the 50-ish of the Chademo.

440V is a 'common' voltage level (110, 220, 440) found in most industrial parks. I had assumed that is what the SuC see once it is transformed down, but that was just a guess on my part.
Super chargers run on 480V 3 phase power. The model 3 pack voltage is 350V (I think S/X is 375 or 400V), so superchargers probably have a multi-tap transformer to step down the voltage.

• Funny
Reactions: cdswm3
Who is going to be the first to order one. I have an ID.4 on order so will be driving a Tesla for much longer or I would consider it.

If the company making them is smart, they would connect up with a well known Tesla bloggers that do You Tube/FB reviews or one of the major websites (electrek.co, insideevs.com) that reports on Tesla-related products and give / loan them one for testing. Right now, at that price, and since I already have a Chademo adapter, I am not going to pull the lever just yet...

The question remains if these guys can do it why doesn’t Tesla do it. I’m sure there are good reasons but still curious.
The real question is can they really not do it? Elon is the guy who can put rockets in space and electric cars on the roads, I'm sure that it is possible. Now do they WANT to do it, that is the better question. To that I would say I doubt it, they probably don't want competition for their charging network. Such as in places like Australia, where it now costs more to drive your Tesla on a road trip than a gas car: Tesla Supercharging now more expensive than petrol refuelling

In the EU they were forced to do it by regulation, but I doubt we'll see that in NA anytime soon. The Chademo adapter is NOT direct competition to supercharging, it is too damn slow. However, a well made CCS adapter could be direct competition.

The real question is can they really not do it? Elon is the guy who can put rockets in space and electric cars on the roads, I'm sure that it is possible. Now do they WANT to do it, that is the better question. To that I would say I doubt it, they probably don't want competition for their charging network. Such as in places like Australia, where it now costs more to drive your Tesla on a road trip than a gas car: Tesla Supercharging now more expensive than petrol refuelling

In the EU they were forced to do it by regulation, but I doubt we'll see that in NA anytime soon. The Chademo adapter is NOT direct competition to supercharging, it is too damn slow. However, a well made CCS adapter could be direct competition.

Makes sense. But there are also areas where the CCS/Chademo buildout is considerably better than Superchargers. Seems to me it might improove sales in these areas to have an alternative to Superchargers. In BC the CCS Chademo network charge locations easily outnumber Superchargers 10 to 1. Without the Chademo adapter a Tesla would essentially be a Vancouver and highway 1 TransCanada car. The Chademo adapter allows travel almost anywhere, and the places that aren't covered yet will be by this time next year. A CCS faster adapter would be an asset.

Makes sense. But there are also areas where the CCS/Chademo buildout is considerably better than Superchargers. Seems to me it might improove sales in these areas to have an alternative to Superchargers. In BC the CCS Chademo network charge locations easily outnumber Superchargers 10 to 1. Without the Chademo adapter a Tesla would essentially be a Vancouver and highway 1 TransCanada car. The Chademo adapter allows travel almost anywhere, and the places that aren't covered yet will be by this time next year. A CCS faster adapter would be an asset.
Yeah as a guy who just did a trip to Fort MacMurray from Victoria, BC, you're preaching to the choir, haha. I actually ended up using the BC hydro chargers all the way to Calgary on the way there, and it only took about an hour longer than supercharging, but cost $0. Now, if those stations had 150kW CCS options and I had an adapter to harness that, the extra hour could have been saved, and no way I'd go to pay ~$15 per charge session. I saved nearly $100 on charging thanks to the BC hydro stations!

• Informative
Reactions: israndy
Yeah as a guy who just did a trip to Fort MacMurray from Victoria, BC, you're preaching to the choir, haha. I actually ended up using the BC hydro chargers all the way to Calgary on the way there, and it only took about an hour longer than supercharging, but cost $0. Now, if those stations had 150kW CCS options and I had an adapter to harness that, the extra hour could have been saved, and no way I'd go to pay ~$15 per charge session. I saved nearly $100 on charging thanks to the BC hydro stations!

Even a 100 KW option would be totally useful. Not an engineer (but am a technologist) but I suspect an adapter over 100 KW might be tough. That however is just my opinion based on nothing but a hunch. :)

Reactions: AdamMacDon