Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Desired feature: Trip energy consumption to plan...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Saghost

Oct 9, 2013
Delaware
I'm getting close to wrapping up a ~3,000 mile week and a half road trip under 8.1 / 17.24.30.

The energy remaining at destination is a wonderful feature and a game changer, and more feedback from it would help more.

In particular, I'd like to see how the instant or short term consumption matches with the predicted plan.

Right now, you have to wait until the percentage at arrival changes up or down to know if you need to change your behavior to reach the destination.

Small elevation changes can throw the acreage condition per mile off by a hundred watt hours per mile without being noticeable, so understanding what went into the estimate instead of just looking for a trip long average is important.

One simple way this could be implemented is with a second dotted/dashed line on the center console and driver energy screens (presumably in a different color) Welch shows the predicted average consumption for the last 5/15/30 miles.

(If the data they have is granular enough, they could put up a second curve matching the real usage curve instead, which might be better, but would involve a whole lot more data and actually might be harder to compare at a glance.)

Thoughts?

Right now, you have to wait until the percentage at arrival changes up or down to know if you need to change your behavior to reach the destination.
Even if it was more real-time it's still basically worthless if conditions change en route IMHO. I have seen it swing wildly over 2.5 hour trips based on changing weather and traffic.

It of course starts out optimistically (pessimistically?) based on recent experience and then as you state, upgrades or downgrades after about 20 miles if things are not what they were prior. I have backed way down on speed and drafted trucks when I saw these huge changes occurring and then saw the flip side occur when the conditions changed again. It can be frustrating.

This was the major reason I created EVTO in the effort to help predict with more certainty what I would encounter in these changing conditions than the car has visibility to.

So until the car inputs weather, road conditions and real time traffic into to it's estimations, I don't see much improvement possible. You would just be chasing your tail more rapidly.