Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Powerwall 3 [Speculation / Discussion etc]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve noticed my PW3’s go from showing 79% to 98% and skip everything in between. This happens in both directions. As you can see from the two photos late in the afternoon with very slow production.

Does anyone have any suggestions

Attachments

• IMG_0844.png
    IMG_0844.png
    671.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0843.png
    IMG_0843.png
    669.3 KB · Views: 35
Where are you getting that? It is reported to weight ~17% less:

The comparable prior version is the Powerwall+ at 343.9 lbs.:
View attachment 1018697

While the Powerwall 3 is 287 lbs.:
View attachment 1018698

~57 lbs. less doesn't seem like "mostly unchanged" to me.
My apologies, I read somewhere that the weight hadn't really changed a lot but that may have been before the official specs were out.
But that further makes my point that it seems unlikely to have a LFP chemistry (which is less energy dense) when the weight has actually decreased.

My apologies, I read somewhere that the weight hadn't really changed a lot but that may have been before the official specs were out.
But that further makes my point that it seems unlikely to have a LFP chemistry (which is less energy dense) when the weight has actually decreased.
Powerwall+ was two units with dual AC inverters due to the separate solar module, so it's hard to draw a conclusion on internals.
Powerwall 2 is 251.3 pounds, so PW3 gained ~36 pounds. Part of which is the solar integration, but 6 MPPT modules shouldn't weight nearly that much.
That said, Battery Day indicated the plan was non-LFP for Powerwall.
SmartSelect_20240215_142419_Firefox.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro
Apologies if this is a stupid question but so far I couldn't find any official documentation to support this, and the PW3's mostly unchanged weight from the PW2 seems to suggest they're staying with LNMC.
Where did you get this information from? :)
It would be great if it's true :)
I don't have any official documentation either. A few reviewers mention it:

People believe they are LFP because the liquid cooling on the older powerwalls is no longer present and the metal sides are for passive cooling

So far, 2 of us have had issues with Powerwall 3s where the percentage will jump up and down more than 15% and not match the amount charged/discharged.

More info:

Saturday it went down from 100% to 83% from 9:15am-9:30am with only 0.8 kWh discharged. That should only be 3% of 27 kWh, not 17%

Yesterday 2/20/24 it went up from 68% to 85% from 2:30pm-2:45pm

Today 2/21/24 it went up from 71% to 88% from 2:15pm-2:30pm

For some reason, all the jumps are 17%.

Chatted with Tesla online and they said "I have escalated the concern to our Tier 2 to double check the system. Please allow up to 5 business days for their review. "

Last edited:
With my 4 pw3s, Tesla emailed saying my production seemed low. Highest I’ve ever seen is 7kW here in ATX. They said it should be somewhere between 10-15 kw, and now will be checking it on Monday.

Another thing that’s really odd, I frequently get a text/email from them that my pws aren’t communicating, but when I look in my app, I see them just fine.. most of the time I’m not at home and it looks like it’s working.

I reply back to my advisor, bc that’s who instantly texts me when it occurs… and I feel like she’s a bot or something.. it’s usually radio silence back to my replies

Reactions: Grayson73
With my 4 pw3s, Tesla emailed saying my production seemed low. Highest I’ve ever seen is 7kW here in ATX. They said it should be somewhere between 10-15 kw, and now will be checking it on Monday.

Another thing that’s really odd, I frequently get a text/email from them that my pws aren’t communicating, but when I look in my app, I see them just fine.. most of the time I’m not at home and it looks like it’s working.

I reply back to my advisor, bc that’s who instantly texts me when it occurs… and I feel like she’s a bot or something.. it’s usually radio silence back to my replies
That seems to be the same problem I'm having. I have 2 and am getting half of what you're getting.

Reactions: vthreee
More info:

Saturday it went down from 100% to 83% from 9:15am-9:30am with only 0.8 kWh discharged. That should only be 3% of 27 kWh, not 17%

Yesterday 2/20/24 it went up from 68% to 85% from 2:30pm-2:45pm

Today 2/21/24 it went up from 71% to 88% from 2:15pm-2:30pm

For some reason, all the jumps are 17%.

Chatted with Tesla online and they said "I have escalated the concern to our Tier 2 to double check the system. Please allow up to 5 business days for their review. "
I charged to 100% and discharged to 0% and the problem persists.