Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still really puzzled by this, I mean, like everyone else. You would think that Elon would buy twitter to eliminate short selling FUD accounts, because its obvious that those posts drive him absolutely crazy, which is totally understandable.

Man, he is going to find how quickly a social media company's posts can degrade at this rate.

Reactions: advocate8
I'm still really puzzled by this, I mean, like everyone else. You would think that Elon would buy twitter to eliminate short selling FUD accounts, because its obvious that those posts drive him absolutely crazy, which is totally understandable.

Man, he is going to find how quickly a social media company's posts can degrade at this rate.
I’m optimistic about it. Maybe you’re seeing some things you’d rather not see being posted today (which is fine, close the app or block the offending accounts) but that will stop once the new and shiny wears off and Elon can craft a new BALANCED and FAIRLY enforced moderation policy that fosters constructive dialogue over the past years of ring fencing.

And oh, how useless this post is, but the absolute last thing, and I mean the last thing, society needs is a free public square accessible to all.

No, there has to be some work involved in getting your viewpoint heard, some, at least. At least getting your ass off the coach and walking to an actual public square and getting up on a soapbox. Its not great to have speech controlled or overly edited, but its not like there isn't enough evidence on un-edited speech by now. Uncontrolled speech is worse than useless, if you amplify it, (as Twitter does) its harmful.

We have all seen that with no actual work involved in broadcasting an opinion all we get is everyone's opinion, even the stupid.

Having ever more stupid opinions is the last thing civilization needs. I would think this was obvious.

I’m optimistic about it. Maybe you’re seeing some things you’d rather not see being posted today (which is fine, close the app or block the offending accounts) but that will stop once the new and shiny wears off and Elon can craft a new BALANCED and FAIRLY enforced moderation policy that fosters constructive dialogue over the past years of ring fencing.
Its not what I'd rather not see, I don't even have a Twitter account.

The problem is that all humans, including me, have biases. All that easy access to opinions does, and I would have thought this was obvious, is make it easy to find content which aligns with your own biases.

We've had the internet for long enough to see. Its not as if Twitter or Facebook has resulted in more and more open minded people. If that was the case, autocratic theologies would have crashed a decade or two ago. No, in exchange for the unbelievable availability of information, all you get is unbelievable availabilty of opinions and theories. No conspiracy theory is even too crazy now. Since its easier, far easier, to just find someone who already has the same opinions you do than it is to actually do more research to figure out whether your opinion is well supported, well you have election denier parties.

The irony is so thick. Its never been easier to do research on almost any topic, yet, since people haven't changed in terms of their desire to do research, here we are. Elon is such a intellect, you would think this would be obvious to him.

Last edited:
There’s no way. I wouldn’t be surprised though if Elon invents a way to search for information on the internet and adds it X.com.
Yup, search is not nearly as hard now as it was for Google initially. Who goes to the Google webpage anymore? Who scrolls down pages trying to find what you are looking for anymore? Usually the correct answer is the first one.

Who is tired of scrolling down beyond the adverts? Great opportunity for Apple also btw.

Too funny...
  • “It makes me worry about the future of our democracy... the future of celebrity conservatorship. I mean, when Britney [Spears] happened...”
  • “Michelle Obama wouldn’t have happened if Elon Musk owned Twitter. Obama in 2008 wouldn’t have happened without Elon Musk owning Twitter.”
  • “I even own a Tesla, man. I’m a big fan of clean energy, climate change, even free speech too.”

Uh, $44bn and several hits to TSLA is not even close to free. It's about as far away from free as you can get. To put this in perspective the the price alone would cover 20 years of GM's marketing budget.
And that $44 billion, if you are trying to look at it in terms of marketing, can’t be targeted as efficiently as even $44 million spent ON marketing. That’s not what the purchase was about. It was sheer impulse and any other reasons mentioned by Elon or here are just rationalizing. X.com... hahahahahahahaha.
And what you’re about to see is Elon directly undermining “the mission” by giving an even bigger megaphone to climate change deniers. Along with deniers of everything from the Holocaust to the 2020 election results to vaccines to the sheer evil of Putin’s efforts to disrupt social order across the globe.
Glad we have Elon looking out for humanity.

Believe me, if you think it's bad here, you definitely won't like Twitter in it's current configuration, unless you want to stay pissed all the time.
Twitter Bot 101 PSA
  • Bot % high, unless you unequivocally know it is human, it most likely is NOT
  • Bot creators understand how the algorithm works and thus their Tweets go to the top of the feed
  • Bot creators design engagement through negative or positive emotional responses
How to use Twitter and not be pissed all the time
  • Never read anything from a bot; Don't feed the bots!
  • Elon will fix soon.

And that $44 billion, if you are trying to look at it in terms of marketing, can’t be targeted as efficiently as even $44 million spent ON marketing. That’s not what the purchase was about. It was sheer impulse and any other reasons mentioned by Elon or here are just rationalizing. X.com... hahahahahahahaha.
And what you’re about to see is Elon directly undermining “the mission” by giving an even bigger megaphone to climate change deniers. Along with deniers of everything from the Holocaust to the 2020 election results to vaccines to the sheer evil of Putin’s efforts to disrupt social order across the globe.
Glad we have Elon looking out for humanity.

His other impulse buys for Tesla, SpaceX, Boring, etc. all worked out pretty well, didn't they? 🤷‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.