Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I for one don't see that as meaningful progress for twitter, or society. Why do you feel it's brag-able?
Bragable? Nah. Hilarious? Yes.

Because It’s an insignificant event being blown out of proportion by Pearl clutching establishment shills on Twitter. These people need a reality check and quick when they’re letting a user with a handle like cat-turd live rent free in their head. 🤣

Anyone who reduces a sure contributor to a movement in a given direction, or a dampening of a movement in the other direction, whether it’s the dominant cause or one of 46, is simple-minded or simply trying to win an unwindable discussion.
Good, you understood. Thanks for the confirmation of your unwindable state of mind. You win.
/s

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: bkp_duke
"Let the good times roll"

I'm sure none of this will splash back onto Tesla at all...
Elon was too stupid to realize back in April that a CEO of a multinational car company should not be touching a social media company with a 50 foot pole. Next person who says racist, anti-China stuff and (rightfully) gets banned is going to say that Elon did it because he's got a factory in Shanghai and the Chinese government strongarmed him. That may not actually be the case, but the perception that it could be is the problem, and that's not good for business at either company.

Pretty good article here:
Welcome to hell, Elon

You break it, you buy it.

Because It’s an insignificant event being blown out of proportion by Pearl clutching establishment shills on Twitter. These people need a reality check and quick when they’re letting a user with a handle like cat-turd live rent free in their head. 🤣

I think it speaks volumes to what the new head of twitter is investing his incredibly valuable time on, and what his perspective is on improving it.

Reactions: JRP3
How soon we forget that Tesla, too was burning through cash at one point.

Tesla burned cash scaling-- but they've had POSITIVE gross margin on each car they sold since 2012, which scaled into profits once production got big enough.

This is exact the opposite of how things are going at Rivian BTW, where they're losing a ton of money on every vehicle they build, and as they scale their losses get WORSE.

Twitter on the other hand just sets money on fire most quarters- with no clear plan or path to changing that.

I'm sure you'll tell us how Elon has ideas how to fix that-- and hey- maybe he does- he's pretty smart.

But pretending Twitters business model and previous history is remotely comparable to Teslas- ever- is hilariously wrong.

Tesla had a solid plan from the start, then executed the living hell out of it.

Twitter has been a dumpster fire for longer than Tesla has been making cars.

Last edited:
Reactions: advocate8 and JRP3
Tesla burned cash scaling-- but they've had POSITIVE gross margin on each car they sold since 2012, which scaled into profits once production got big enough.

Twitter on the other hand just sets money on fire most quarters going back to before Tesla ever made a car- with no clear plan or path to changing that (indeed they've had declining margins making it even worse).

I'm sure you'll tell us how Elon has ideas how to fix that-- but pretending Twitters business model and history is remotely comparable to Teslas- ever- is hilariously wrong.
Who are we to tell him how or why to spend his money? If he wants to take 44bn, dump it in a pit and fling red hot coals into it it’s his to do so with.

Whatever direction he takes Twitter in has to be better than what it was earlier this week even if that means he pulls the plug on it and shuts it down upon finding the next shiny he wants to play with.

Who are we to tell him how or why to spend his money?

No idea, since I literally didn't do that in the post you're replying to.

If he wants to take 44bn, dump it in a pit and fling red hot coals into it it’s his to do so with.

Seems every time someone points out what you actually said is inconsistent with the facts (comparing Teslas cash burn with twitters for example as being comparable) you appear to change the topic to something that person never actually said.

No idea, since I literally didn't do that in the post you're replying to.

Seems every time someone points out what you actually said is inconsistent with the facts (comparing Teslas cash burn with twitters for example as being comparable) you appear to change the topic to something that person never actually said.
Please excuse if I misunderstood but I took your statement as implying the purchase was a waste of money due to twitter’s talent in the art of losing money.

Why is that insignificant? This idiot is a known conspiracy theorist. Conspiracy theories can be pretty dangerous.
Just because on one side of the ideological spectrum doesn’t mean there is collective danger to the society you are living in.

This is the attitude why, I think we are screwed as a cohesive society going forward. Seriously.

Why is that insignificant? This idiot is a known conspiracy theorist. Conspiracy theories can be pretty dangerous.
Just because on one side of the ideological spectrum doesn’t mean there is collective danger to the society you are living in.

This is the attitude why, I think we are screwed as a cohesive society going forward. Seriously.
If you want to trade scalps, I can think of quite a few establishment approved figures (with regular air time no less) who almost exclusively participate in dangerous and divisive conspiracy theories and sophistry.

Let’s not pretend the scales haven’t been off balance when it comes to moderation on social media. It’s insulting to your intelligence and mine.

It is fairly amazing (amusing?) how many people are voicing disappointment (disenchantment?) over how little Twitter's functionality changed today. As if the new boss should be able to wave a magic wand and get 'er done.

They oughta give Elon two weeks at least, right? 🤔
Who else remembers when he proposed taking the W out of Twitter? Fun times.

Everyone thinks misinformation/nudging techniques don’t apply to them. Yet the data show they are extremely effective at changing minds.

When a class of students was educated on cognitive biases and asked how the information affected them, the majority said they could totally see them - in their ideological opponents.

We’d like the idea of the rational human actor to be a thing, but unfortunately it isn’t. We all possess inherited evolutionary flaws and we are more easily influenced than we prefer or suppose we are.

This is a reason conspiracy theories are dangerous and why amplified messaging needs some kind of moderation. I believe Elon’s Twitter will eventually be heavily moderating content - there’s no other way around it for longevity. The trajectory might be like Autopilot, where there was no hands on the wheel until there was, no nag until there was, no internally facing camera until there was, etc.

If you want to trade scalps, I can think of quite a few establishment approved figures (with regular air time no less) who almost exclusively participate in dangerous and divisive conspiracy theories and sophistry.

Let’s not pretend the scales haven’t been off balance when it comes to moderation on social media. It’s insulting to your intelligence and mine.

What ‘trade scalps’? Don’t accuse me of things I haven’t done and then argue against them.

Thats just tribal BS.

And don’t insult my intelligence by pretending to be offended by my post. We are talking about an idiot conspiracy theorist who should not have the megaphone. Period.

Talk about ‘saving humanity’. What crap.

Everyone thinks misinformation/nudging techniques don’t apply to them. Yet the data show they are extremely effective at changing minds.

When a class of students was educated on cognitive biases and asked how the information affected them, the majority said they could totally see them - in their ideological opponents.

We’d like the idea of the rational human actor to be a thing, but unfortunately it isn’t. We all possess inherited evolutionary flaws and we are easily influenced than we prefer or suppose we are.

This is a reason conspiracy theories are dangerous and why amplified messaging needs some kind of moderation. I believe Elon’s Twitter will eventually be heavily moderating content - there’s no other way around it for longevity. The trajectory might be like Autopilot, where there was no hands on the wheel until there was, no nag until there was, no internally facing camera until there was, etc.
I agree that it will end up being heavily moderated. But as long as the moderation methods are made public, that will help with acceptance….hopefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.