Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
44B impulse-buy? I think Elon put a whole lot of thought into it, but he's going to be stretched a bit thinner for a while. I think that may have been the root of his 'second thoughts', though that could have been a price-reduction ruse too.

4D Chess. Don't forget what he's accomplished. Twitter is EasyMode™ for Elon but there's real utility there too, as explained.
He's clearly missing some "D's" in his chess game. I guess you forgot that Elon changed his mind about the deal, so much so that he went to court to get out of it with such a weak case that he quickly gave in and ended up buying it for full price. Now he's selling everything but the bathroom sink he walked in with to try and save this obvious dumpster fire. Maybe he'll pull something out of this but only the most delusional superfans think this was any sort of genius move by Elon. He's already talking about bankruptcy for Twitter and is scrambling to save it.

Can you get Govt issued ID with that Birthday ... Then I guess, Yes. Unless they have a separate check.

The point is automatic ID verification is done all over the world quite well. Twitter can do that as well.

...and to bring this pointless comparison back to where it started, did "Jesus" have to show his government issued ID to get his Twitter account verified (answer: Obviously no).

Followup question: Does Twitter have any plans to check photo ID's as part of $8 verification - also no.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
What point are you trying to make? That there are fake accounts on Twitter? News flash: they were there before Elon took over and they are there after he took over.

These accounts will get taken down, just like before. No one is going to be confused by the blue checkmark if the account has just a few followers and a join date of a few hours or days ago. Heck, hardly anyone is even going to find these accounts.

The difference is that the prankster loses $8 each time. And if that isn’t effective enough Elon will make it one year upfront, so $96.
If the folks at Tesla thought it was a good idea to switch the position, shape and size of the brake and throttle (i.e. what is today the brake pedal would on the next model be the throttle and vice-versa), I guess you would claim "No one is going to be confused that the wider pedal on the left is the throttle in this model." perhaps because there is a description of it in the user manual.

Regardless of whether you'd think or say that, it would still be one of the stupidest and costliest mistakes that could ever be made. Except that I'm pretty sure the regulations for automobile manufacturing would prohibit it because it would be so colossally dangerous..

Re-defining the meaning while leaving the mark identical and in the same place will probably confuse > 90% of users for at least several weeks if not months. I can't understand how you can't see that it is so obvious.

A couple of key excerpts:

What do I think are the symptoms of Twitter poisoning? There is a childish insecurity, where before there was pride. Instead of being above it all, like traditional strongmen throughout history, the modern social media-poisoned alpha male whines and frets. This works because his followers are similarly poisoned and can relate so well….

Modern techies have revived a technocratic sensibility: a belief that great engineers can and should guide society. Whether that idea appeals or not, when technology degrades the minds of those same engineers, then the result can only be dysfunction.

Well, yeah, he kinda does. Everyone else has either been fired or quit.
Everyone? Far from it. Twitter had something like 7000 employees, all to maintain a very basic website that looks like something out of the late 1990s. How many people are working on FSD or were at Paypal before he sold it? I think I heard the FSD team was only a few hundred people. Why does it take 7k just to operate Twitter? Hint-it doesn't. Elon has cut the deadwood, cutting about half the employee count. And users are up, bots seem to be down, and there is less hate and vitriol than before. Elon also has plans to upgrade the software, something that doesn't appear to have been done in a LONG time. This doesn't seem like a complicate effort-you're not talking world class AI or FSD here.

If the folks at Tesla thought it was a good idea to switch the position, shape and size of the brake and throttle (i.e. what is today the brake pedal would on the next model be the throttle and vice-versa), I guess you would claim "No one is going to be confused that the wider pedal on the left is the throttle in this model." perhaps because there is a description of it in the user manual.

Regardless of whether you'd think or say that, it would still be one of the stupidest and costliest mistakes that could ever be made. Except that I'm pretty sure the regulations for automobile manufacturing would prohibit it because it would be so colossally dangerous..

Re-defining the meaning while leaving the mark identical and in the same place will probably confuse > 90% of users for at least several weeks if not months. I can't understand how you can't see that it is so obvious.
The blue check was meaningless anyhow. While most high profile celebrities got them, a lot of random people got them too. They essentially mean nothing to most people because—much like most of Twitter's policy—it was almost randomly applied to users.

Meanwhile, lots of people who were well known in various communities couldn't get verified regardless of how hard they tried. Those people—many who have hundreds of thousands of followers—were constantly fighting impersonators. But they were somewhere below the radar of Twitter's policymakers. People like Sawyer Merrit and The Limiting Factor who we relied on for information were bombarded with fakes and Twitter's management made them jump through hoops to get the imposter account yanked every single time.

This narrative that Twitter was well policed and lacked imposters prior to Musk is completely devoid of logic. It was horrible for most users.

That it continues to be horrible a few weeks after Musk took it over isn't surprising. Lets chat about this again after his policies have had a chance to take effect after more than a couple of days.

The year I left California there were signs all over saying "Jesus XXXXX" for City Council. It's a very common name for certain cultures.
Screen Shot 2022-11-11 at 9.32.01 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.