Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because all it does is recreate Tw@tter and it’s associated toxicity on the forum.

Unnecessary and unproductive.

Which is the reason for having a separate sub-forum to contain all the Twitter twatter. The rest of us can then just ignore it. And the mods wouldn't have to wear themselves out keeping it off of the other forums.

So..its ok to have a Spacex subforum, and Boring Subforum...but not have a Twitter subforum?

How is that..logical?

To start with assume you have to have content moderation. That not having content moderation is non-negotiable.

Then think of it in terms of toxic content versus productive discussion because this determines how much work the moderators have.

I believe most can agree that SpaceX conversations are significantly less toxic than twitter conversations. Having a SpaceX subforum on here simply doesn't take that much work.

This is a Tesla forum so any side forum should require very little work to maintain. If it takes a lot of work to maintain then it has to be cut to preserve resources for the meat and potatoes of the site which is about Tesla itself.

The Twitter & Elon thread was so difficult to moderate that mods didn't seem to agree on what was appropriate and inappropriate. At least that's the impression I had. So I agree with simply shutting it down.

To start with assume you have to have content moderation. That not having content moderation is non-negotiable.

Then think of it in terms of toxic content versus productive discussion because this determines how much work the moderators have.

I believe most can agree that SpaceX conversations are significantly less toxic than twitter conversations. Having a SpaceX subforum on here simply doesn't take that much work.

This is a Tesla forum so any side forum should require very little work to maintain. If it takes a lot of work to maintain then it has to be cut to preserve resources for the meat and potatoes of the site which is about Tesla itself.

The Twitter & Elon thread was so difficult to moderate that mods didn't seem to agree on what was appropriate and inappropriate. At least that's the impression I had. So I agree with simply shutting it down.
Except for the fact that Twitter, many can argue, is hugely more important to the success of Tesla now than Boring or SpaceX. So shutting something down because it causes more work isn't the right thing to do. The truth is that many moderators simply do not want to hear anything negative about Elon Musk.

It’s really really hard to not mention Tw***er and Musk.

For Example, the big news today is that a Tw**t from Musk about FSD is now being looked at. It directly impacts Tesla and I’m sure Musk will tweet something about the L**t being responsible.

It’s very hard. I hope Mods understand that.

It's also that Elon's personal Twitter account, which was used to make announcements and inform as Tesla's CEO (and Chief Engineer), a must-read for everyone trying to be informed about Tesla, now obviously also serves other purposes, even apparent partisan activism.

So the intersection of Elon, Tesla and politics is unavoidable right there.

EDIT: Aside from that climate change was always also a political topic.

Twitter, many can argue, is hugely more important to the success of Tesla
Why would this be the case?

The only linkage I see is Tesla stock going down when Elon needs to sell more stock to continue burning in the dumpster fire that is Twitter. But, at this point Elon only owns 13.4%.

So why is Twitter important to the success of Tesla?

Why would a social media platform have any correlation with the success of Tesla?

I'm also talking about ACTUAL success, and not stock price.

Maybe your correlating the success with Elon spending more time at Tesla. But, I don't believe Elon is critical to the success of Tesla. In fact I believe he is a liability at this point. I'd much rather see him spend his time at SpaceX where he seems to do the most good.

Why would this be the case?

The only linkage I see is Tesla stock going down when Elon needs to sell more stock to continue burning in the dumpster fire that is Twitter. But, at this point Elon only owns 13.4%.

So why is Twitter important to the success of Tesla?

Why would a social media platform have any correlation with the success of Tesla?

I'm also talking about ACTUAL success, and not stock price.

Maybe your correlating the success with Elon spending more time at Tesla. But, I don't believe Elon is critical to the success of Tesla. In fact I believe he is a liability at this point. I'd much rather see him spend his time at SpaceX where he seems to do the most good.

Why is Twitter important? Elon is currently alienating his core base of EV buyers through his actions at Twitter. You may be underestimating that many many people do not like the direction that Twitter is taking and therefore do not want to be associated with Elon at all. There was a fire sale at the end of 2022 with $7500 off all models - this has never happened before. Stock price is very much tied to success, so I'm not sure what you mean by 'actual' success.

It's not just hard - it is IMPOSSIBLE.

You can not separate Elon and Tesla. Or Elon and SpaceX. Or Elon and Twitter.

Elon has made damn sure that Elon, and Elon himself is the face of Tesla.

When you don't have a marketing or a PR department, when you don't let any of your employees be the voice of the company, this is the result.

TMC trying to separate Elon from Tesla is a fool's errand.

You can either guide sub-topics of Elon into the appropriate sub-forum or topic, but you will never pull Elon and his actions out of TMC.

Embrace it.

Don't ban it.
Very well said.

Also, pretending like die hard fans, owners and shareholders who are appalled by the new direction Elon's tweets have taken are TSLAQ or similar is simply gaslighting of the first degree.

When someone has done great things, in Elon's case built the best, most innovative, most future oriented and future proof companies on earth, when he's become the de-facto leader of the fight against climate change, that doesn't make it OK to destroy the reputation of the very companies he's built, and possibly lose the good fight all together.

We're mostly here because of the magic he created. A once in a lifetime perfect opportunity to do everything as it should be done, not for short term profit with no one caring about the destruction caused, but for the long term good of humanity, with attention to doing good every step of the way.

Now we can only hope that someone sets him back on course, and also that other Tesla leaders emerge as public faces to assure the public that Tesla will stay on course even if he's away somewhere else.

After having been locked for a few days this thread is open for discussion again. For now at least, until the admins of this site decide what to do with the subject of this thread.

In the meantime these are the rules:
- No politics (per the Forum Rules)
- No personal attacks
- No serial-downvoting (or -laughing)
- No discussion of the moderation policy
- No discussion about Twitter & Elon in other threads.

Failure to follow these rules can result in a warning or a ban.

After having been locked for a few days this thread is open for discussion again. For now at least, until the admins of this site decide what to do with the subject of this thread.

In the meantime these are the rules:
- No politics (per the Forum Rules)
- No personal attacks
- No serial-downvoting (or -laughing)
- No discussion of the moderation policy
- No discussion about Twitter & Elon in other threads.

Failure to follow these rules can result in a warning or a ban.
Question: the thumbs down is listed as “disagree” not “downvote”. (To my knowledge actual downvoting with calculations is not an option on this forum).

So is that rule meaning, don’t show disagreement too many times? Just curious as to why disagreeing with posts too much is considered problematic for moderators?

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Question: the thumbs down is listed as “disagree” not “downvote”. (To my knowledge actual downvoting with calculations is not an option on this forum).

So is that rule meaning, don’t show disagreement too many times? Just curious as to why disagreeing with posts too much is considered problematic for moderators?
I think what’s more problematic is that people are getting all in their feelings by nonverbal critique of their posts.

I know the haters don’t like some of my posts and tbh the disagrees mean nothing to me because I’ve seen what they agree with.

• Funny
Reactions: T3SLAROD

Certain people instantly disagree, (or "laugh"), almost every post and never provide a coherent argument as to why. Personally I have "those" people on ignore but unfortunately you can't ignore their ratings.

I'll respond here, since the rule is actually listed in our Forum Rules:

No Abuse of Reaction/Voting Facilities
Reactions (Like/Disagree/Helpful/etc.) are provided to members in order to increase engagement with content and improve the flow of dialogue. The reactions are intended to be used as content is being read in real-time and not as a method to "troll" other members. Hunting down other members' posts in order to provide reactions is not in line with the intended use. Members who feel they are being attacked through the reaction facility should use the Report Post feature or send a message directly to an Administrator or Moderator for review.

Judgement of whether reactions are being used inappropriately can be subjective but generally speaking, looking at the voting history of a member can quickly tell a story. If they are simply disagreeing without explaining their position, or disagreeing with facts that they do not like, it's generally considered an abusive practice and can result in account action.

I'll respond here, since the rule is actually listed in our Forum Rules:

Judgement of whether reactions are being used inappropriately can be subjective but generally speaking, looking at the voting history of a member can quickly tell a story. If they are simply disagreeing without explaining their position, or disagreeing with facts that they do not like, it's generally considered an abusive practice and can result in account action.
Ok. Thanks for the prompt response.

Ninja’d me to it!

From a quick glance it looks like EM is keeping it lower key with the spicy stuff and doing more promotion of his other enterprises.

He should continue down that path and leave the spicier bits to other folks within his sphere if only to console the detractors and dry out the FUDsters.

Why is Twitter important? Elon is currently alienating his core base of EV buyers through his actions at Twitter. You may be underestimating that many many people do not like the direction that Twitter is taking and therefore do not want to be associated with Elon at all. There was a fire sale at the end of 2022 with $7500 off all models - this has never happened before. Stock price is very much tied to success, so I'm not sure what you mean by 'actual' success.

The fire sale had more to do with pending tax credit change in 2023. It simply isn't logical to buy a car today that will be $7500 cheaper tomorrow.

There has been a lot of talk about alienation, but I don't know to what degree that actually impacts car buyers.

When I went from Tesla to Rivian it was more about Tesla's failure to launch new platforms and I was bored of the old ones. Sure misleading things like FSD, and the failure of NoA to ever do much of anything played a part. But, overall it was simply a failure to maintain the "shiny new thing" image.

As to the Stock? Musk ABSOLUTELY has alienated me. I simply won't invest back into Tesla with Elon at the helm.

The fire sale had more to do with pending tax credit change in 2023. It simply isn't logical to buy a car today that will be $7500 cheaper tomorrow.

There has been a lot of talk about alienation, but I don't know to what degree that actually impacts car buyers.

When I went from Tesla to Rivian it was more about Tesla's failure to launch new platforms and I was bored of the old ones. Sure misleading things like FSD, and the failure of NoA to ever do much of anything played a part. But, overall it was simply a failure to maintain the "shiny new thing" image.

As to the Stock? Musk ABSOLUTELY has alienated me. I simply won't invest back into Tesla with Elon at the helm.
what I need to see before I re-invest is more consistency in the product offering (equipment, build quality) and a dedication to customer service (weeks of wait for simple repairs at SC or "waiting for parts" can't be it ... )

lately the removal of USS - without feature parity by software - and the yoke only ... then yoke AND wheel as option ... have shown avoidable customer irritation. if USS are in short supply and /or it is cost cutting... then say so and pass savings on to consumer and do not hide behind "not needed". Especially if the facelift M3 is getting a 4D radar...

Ninja’d me to it!

From a quick glance it looks like EM is keeping it lower key with the spicy stuff and doing more promotion of his other enterprises.

He should continue down that path and leave the spicier bits to other folks within his sphere if only to console the detractors and dry out the FUDsters.
THIS.
I mean, this is kinda what he used to do during the runup to TSLA's astronomical prices. Tweeting almost solely about upcoming features, SpaceX successes, etc.

If he goes back to that ONLY? Watch how much TSLA rises back up...

• Informative
Status
Not open for further replies.