Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Entire Supercharging Team Fired?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
News yesterday is that the entire 500+ person word-wide SC team has been let go. That is alarming. Why would Elon sack the execs and all the employees of this important part of Tesla's business? Could Tesla be selling the SC network off to a third party? Opinions? Other theories?

29226473368_d3a9e965d2_c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately I think it's major personality defects. The woman who was running the supercharger business was very well liked and respected, like Zack Kirkhorn, and that made Adderall-Elon angry and jealous. Both are gone now. Maybe she talked to the Board about Elon?

What if Elon ordered her to spawn his baby and she refused?

There is no logical strategy whatsoever that justifies this. Even some kind of business pivot would be discussed ahead of time and she would be likely to be a good one to lead it.

For all we know Elon will dump electric now and say he's building Diesel robotaxis and cybertrucks with gun mounts only.

So what happens here? T minus two weeks before we start seeing slow degradation of Supercharger reliability/uptime? That's a LOT of institutional knowledge walking out the door.

I have a M3 and was probably going to stick with it for the next 5-6 years, then probably get another Tesla. I love the car but THE selling point is/was the charging infrastructure. If Supercharger reliability starts to tank without proper communications/remediation plan, then my M3 is getting sold and I'm switching back to a gas car or hybrid. Fast.

If there is a sound business reason for this--Tesla needs to get out with it ASAP, along with concrete assurances that the Supercharger network will keep its existing standard of excellence. If they don't, I think they might risk spooking current and prospective car owners. I'm spooked, and so are others I've talked to. Seems like lots of folks on this and other forums share the same sentiment.

It's available for mid 14's and newer
Good. Last I checked, the parts weren't available for the CCS/NACS retrofit.

The best case scenario on this layoff would be Tesla contacting out the site selection and construction of new Supercharger stations, and other SC teams unaffected.

A PR dept. would give reassuring info to current and prospective owners.

Reactions: gglockner
So what happens here? T minus two weeks before we start seeing slow degradation of Supercharger reliability/uptime?
Tesla doesn't give two weeks, that's not hard core. Those people didn't come into work this morning after the email last night.

The best case scenario on this layoff would be Tesla contacting out the site selection and construction of new Supercharger stations, and other SC teams unaffected.
There were not 500 people doing site selection. This is ALL of the SC teams.

Last edited:
Why would Tesla sell off the crown jewel of its company. The one area that is head and shoulders above every other thing they do? The one division that other auto companies are lining up to pour money into Tesla's coffers? This smacks of a drug fueled temper tantrum.
musk and tesla think that Autopilot (basic one) is head and shoulders above the market (which is not - it is sub-par experience), so his imagination and exaggerated evaluation of things under the influence of ketamine might be the key here. sadly

musk and tesla think that Autopilot (basic one) is head and shoulders above the market (which is not - it is sub-par experience), so his imagination and exaggerated evaluation of things under the influence of ketamine might be the key here. sadly

The diagnosis here is also Ballmer syndrome. Pure, raving jealousy of something else that's hot and he's not. Back in the 2000s when Apple and Google and Facebook were taking off and Ballmer's Microsoft was always leaping to try to copy something else poorly, but with horrible internal policies and cutthroat politics and no leadership. (someone from that era of MSFT interviwed with us and described him as a "stage 5 cancer")

Musk is pissed off with all the hype in Silicon Valley being around AI happening without him, incensed that another, smarter, sociopath tech bro (Sam Altman) pilfered out OpenAI out from under him before he could, and gone off the rails because they became stupendously successful after Musk bailed. (There's no way they would succeed with someone like Elon running it)

Notice how much he talks about Tesla not being a "car" company and how much he pontificates about "AI" (with juvenile hot takes). Take that seriously.

He's nuts with AI fever and delusions. I seriously think he may shut Fremont factory with no replacement, sell Shanghai to BYD, and give up on manufacturing entirely because it's not "AI" and not interesting any more.

Superchargers and cars aren't the hot thing in the Valley any more, and he isn't on the hot 100 executive lists any more. He needs his hit of fame and adulation and feeling he is leading the Cool.

The diagnosis here is also Ballmer syndrome. Pure, raving jealousy of something else that's hot and he's not. Back in the 2000s when Apple and Google and Facebook were taking off and Ballmer's Microsoft was always leaping to try to copy something else poorly, but with horrible internal policies and cutthroat politics and no leadership. (someone from that era of MSFT interviwed with us and described him as a "stage 5 cancer")

Musk is pissed off with all the hype in Silicon Valley being around AI happening without him, incensed that another, smarter, sociopath tech bro (Sam Altman) pilfered out OpenAI out from under him before he could, and gone off the rails because they became stupendously successful after Musk bailed. (There's no way they would succeed with someone like Elon running it)

Notice how much he talks about Tesla not being a "car" company. Take that seriously.

He's nuts with AI fever and delusions. I seriously think he may shut Fremont factory with no replacement, sell Shanghai to BYD, and give up on manufacturing entirely because it's not "AI" and not interesting any more.

Superchargers and cars aren't the hot thing in the Valley any more, and he isn't on the hot 100 executive lists any more. He needs his hit of fame and adulation and feeling he is leading the Cool.
yeah..

remember that Must knows about manufacturing than "ANYONE ELSE IN THE WORLD" :))))

I chose the Tesla over other choices solely due to the SuperCharger network.

As others have mentioned, this news comes without any context and close enough to the investor call that the most logical assumptions are that this was a sporadic, unplanned decision. If Tesla had a proper marketing team, they’d be in full PR damage control mode right now. The stock fell back down to pre-investor call yesterday.

I mentioned on another thread, in relation to the layoffs of the “new vehicle” team - who is going to administer the development and deployment of the Cybercab and the “lower cost” vehicle(s)?

In regards to the layoffs of the policy team - how is Tesla going to get regulatory approval for the Cybercab and future FSD if there is no team to administer those functions?

Without answers directly from Tesla, it paints a “doom and gloom” picture for the near-future of Tesla.

I’m not sure how some people are coming up with these “but what if it’s part of the new master plan” explanations. Or why people are trying to defend this move. If you are invested in or passionate about Tesla, you should be concerned up until we understand the actual reasons behind these decisions and how this impacts the company going forward.

Have you been paying attention the last few years? Elon's conduct has been anything but rational for some time now.
"Brilliant" types rarely are rational, so having seen a few, I am not surprised at this. They are not necessarily folks who you would want as dinner guests at your house.

I was wondering when something like this might occur. Now i know.

But it's too soon to panic.

Reactions: RedOctober and MD70
This is the best answer in the thread. This is totally what Musk and Tesla are planning to do. Everyone is reacting emotionally but you need to step back and see it from this perspective.
The only flaw is he fired 500 needed personnel. The logical path to exit a commodity / future low margin business is to divest it, WITH PERSONNEL, while it is still attractive. He could have done that and NOT hurt the stock or Tesla's future. AND if it was RATIONAL thinking - he WOULD have discussed it at recent shareholder meeting. So - it stinks of man-child having a tantrum... maybe they were in the process of unloading it - but HE was unhappy with the speed of doing it (these things take time) or wanted to teach a childish lesson on how to cut staff... Sorry - but Musk can be a MORON - look what he did to twitter.