Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Entire Supercharging Team Fired?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
News yesterday is that the entire 500+ person word-wide SC team has been let go. That is alarming. Why would Elon sack the execs and all the employees of this important part of Tesla's business? Could Tesla be selling the SC network off to a third party? Opinions? Other theories?

29226473368_d3a9e965d2_c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
TIL, so I had to look for it. I see Tesla conducting more layoffs, including entire Supercharger team reporting this.

Perhaps they're trying to outsource this? I know Black & Veatch has worked with Tesla before with their US Supercharger network but I don't know about the current and recent level of involvement.
https://www.bv.com/tesla-supercharger-us-build-out/

News yesterday is that the entire 500+ person word-wide SC team has been let go. That is alarming. Why would Elon sack the execs and all the employees of this important part of Tesla's business? Could Tesla be selling the SC network off to a third party? Opinions? Other theories?
IMHO it doesn't bode well. This "feels" like Musk cost cutting for the sake of cost cutting without proper due diligence. At risk are all, ALL, of the contracts signed over the past year from almost all major automotive manufacturers to switch over to the J3400 standard and to gain access to the Tesla SC network. I'm certain there are protective contract clauses, for both Tesla and the contracting party, that are likely violated due to these actions. Just my two cents of course, but there will almost certainly be downstream consequences for the actions taken today if they are actually true. Musk can do whatever he wants, but legal contracts are legal contracts also. We could potentially see lawsuits against Tesla for this action alone - given other manufacturers are spending real money to convert over to the J3400 standard plugs in their vehicles, and have made commitments to their customer bases to gain access to a Tesla SC network that, for all intents and purposes, no longer has any employees left to support it. Get out your popcorn folks, it's going to be fun to watch! 🍿

A couple hours previous to all the firings, the Supreme Court rejected Musk’s appeal of his freedom of speech case that he could tweet out whatever he wants to about Tesla without oversight first from a lawyer. I’ll bet that made him crazy mad. Then this axing of Tesla’s resources and advantages as a company. So perhaps this is all related to a violent mood swing?

If something really extreme happens at Tesla, have we figured out if we can block any kind of catastrophic update from being installed without otherwise hosing the functionality of the car--functionality such as navigation with traffic, infotainment, etc. (pretty much anything that requires an internet connection.) I hope it's as simple as refusing any update and using my phone as a hotspot, as much of a PITA as that would be.

More to the subject of this thread, is it me or would the SC team be the least technical/skilled of all of them? I mean, obviously it's complex and requires all sorts of intelligence, training, education and experience. But if you're going to send the message (crazy as this tactic is), maybe this is the team you can most easily replace?

I feel like Elon is just too smart to screw this up that bad in a rash decision. He must have a plan. Not that I will like the plan, and not that the plan will be good for Tesla owners! But he must have one. Maybe there are 500 engineers in China that we just hired?

Yep, I just read that. It looks true...and terrible.
When our model Y goes out of warranty later this year we were planning to replace it with a new one but were considering other EVs as well.
We were already in that situation before this. We can't get a new Tesla because of the cabin air pressure fiasco. When they created the "Bioweapon Defense Mode", that also included sealing up the cabin very close to airtight, so they could create positive air pressure inside with blowing the fan hard. That is the very thing that hurts my wife's eardrums, so she can't turn the fan speed above 2 in her 2022 Model Y at all without hurting her ears. It's like that with all of the new models, so I can't replace my old 2014 S85 with a new Tesla. Period. We went looking and are at the moment decided to get a Hyundai Ioniq 5 in 2025 once they come with the NACS port.

A couple hours previous to all the firings, the Supreme Court rejected Musk’s appeal of his freedom of speech case that he could tweet out whatever he wants to about Tesla without oversight first from a lawyer. I’ll bet that made him crazy mad. Then this axing of Tesla’s resources and advantages as a company. So perhaps this is all related to a violent mood swing?
That wouldn't surprise me at all. His immaturity and impulsiveness were well known, but usually weren't affecting Tesla too hard or too directly most of the time, or other executives could talk him back off the ledge to get him to walk it back some or mitigate whatever disaster he was about to start (like closing all of their stores). This one may be too big.
I feel like Elon is just too smart to screw this up that bad in a rash decision. He must have a plan.
That's cute.

I am also alarmed by Musk firing the whole team. However it's ironic to see everyone on here be so dramatically emotional and blaming Musk for the same thing.

Look - we don't know what's next. Musk has made highly questionable decisions in the past that have panned out in the end. It may be that he's unhappy with the v4 rollout, or that from an energy perspective Teslas are falling behind in charging curves and other areas and he's found another company that will deal with it. Or maybe he's burning it all down just to build it back up fresh.

We don't know. It's not even been 24 hours yet. Speculation on this side is just as bad.

Pass the buck to the other manufacturers using NACS… everyone to chip in on R&D and expansion plans. Total speculation on my part
If he was doing this, they should have sold the superchargers. Either they should build the supercharger network, or they should sell it and focus on cars…no: solar…no: now fsd…kidding :), now robots… we meant cars…. Actually fsd is the whole value…oops: cheap cars…now it’s china…burn it down if I’m not getting my payout!

I am also alarmed by Musk firing the whole team. However it's ironic to see everyone on here be so dramatically emotional and blaming Musk for the same thing.

Look - we don't know what's next. Musk has made highly questionable decisions in the past that have panned out in the end. It may be that he's unhappy with the v4 rollout, or that from an energy perspective Teslas are falling behind in charging curves and other areas and he's found another company that will deal with it. Or maybe he's burning it all down just to build it back up fresh.

We don't know. It's not even been 24 hours yet. Speculation on this side is just as bad.
Of course, this could all be resolved by simply having a small PR department - or not having asked Rohan to leave - and then firing his entire team today as well. Anyone that even remotely touches delivering a positive customer experience, by, you know, actually interacting with real Tesla customers, doesn't survive at Tesla it seems. This is how you end up with hundreds of active members on a Tesla forum like this, that aren't happy with the customer experience.

Context is king - and zero context has been provided - toward your point. Running Tesla like a startup company that has 140k employees isn't a wise move by any measure. Decisions have consequences - and while we could argue the merits of shifting the company toward AI/robotics - which long term is likely a good bet - axing profit centers like the SC network overnight while providing zero context - when you just had an investors call last week and had every opportunity to proactively address major upcoming changes surrounding the previously announced layoffs so as to calm the markets and investors - would have seemed the wise thing to do - but I've come to never expect proactive communications from the TechnoKing.

BTW - he also fired the entire leadership team for new vehicles. Again, zero context. Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Here's the reality. When decisions are made in a vacuum and no context is provided - people as a whole - always assume the worst. The rumor mill goes wild with innuendo and accusation and, well, rumors, most of which could be quelled in advance, by proactively communicating a strategy surrounding layoffs. Saying 10-20% layoffs is one thing, cutting entire departments that seem germane to significant future business revenues - new vehicles and the entire SC network - seems rather rash without context. With context these decisions might make good sense - as you've purported - but my overall point is - context is never given. This is where the Delaware court ruling was absolutely on point - and today's action essentially prove it. An independent BOD would not let this type of thing occur in the rash manner in which it has occurred. The Tesla BOD is in no way, shape, or form independent, not even close. Just my .02! :) 🍿

Last edited: