Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Entire Supercharging Team Fired?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
News yesterday is that the entire 500+ person word-wide SC team has been let go. That is alarming. Why would Elon sack the execs and all the employees of this important part of Tesla's business? Could Tesla be selling the SC network off to a third party? Opinions? Other theories?

29226473368_d3a9e965d2_c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Will the fanboys now admit it's time for a new CEO?
No, they will double down and explain why this was a smart move. Here’s what one fan boy (my brother) told me: “Elon only sees EV’s as being 20% of the business long term and looks like his plan is to use them to fund his AI/autonomous/robot business. So why spend a bunch of money on charging when he’s not planning on building as many cars as previously?”

Care to share why this was a tough, but good decision for Tesla and how this will make it a better company in the long term?
Others are stepping into market to pickup the burden of building out the network, using Tesla's product, which means Tesla doesn't need to be the sole bill payer to do the initial install construction of the network.

Let the private sector carry the burden of the construction of the network, why should this cost be a Tesla only bill payer event now that NACS is the standard for North America?

• Disagree
Reactions: B@ndit
Unless the issue with product demand is directly related to the fact that traditional consumers - your future customers since the early adopters have been saturated - won't buy your product unless and until the two primary blockers have been sufficiently remediated in the minds of those prospective customers - range anxiety and readily available and easily accessible public charging stations. Even for the early adopters - without the Tesla SC network - many of those customers would not have purchased Tesla vehicles. The SC network is almost definitively one the primary reasons that Tesla has been able to enjoy the success it has enjoyed to date - without it their success story would look very different over the past ten years. One investment precludes another. When you pull back on investments in the pre-requisite SC network that in turn enhances demand for your vehicles - especially to the next tranches of future customers:

View attachment 1043793

Does anyone here really think this strategy is going to increase BEV adoption and increase the likelihood that traditional buyers - which start with the early majority above - are going to buy Tesla vehicles? The MSM is going to blast out articles indicating that Tesla is basically abandoning the SC network - it's already happening as of yesterday - and existing legacy manufacturers that initially signed on to adopt J3400/NACS are now considering backing away from their initial commitments - this is also in the MSM now - and quite a few influencers with connections (Kyle Connor comes to mind) are indicating it's only a matter of time until the first player rescinds - and then the Domino affect may start to fall in the other direction - away from J3400/NACS adoption. That may seem knee jerk to the innovators who tend to frequent forums like this - but rest assured this is a critical moment. Hopefully Tesla reverses course here sooner rather than later. Anyone who talks in terms of moats and such from an investment perspective, I mean that sounds really good in theory - until you realize that you're going directly against what your existing customers indicate they want from Tesla. Any company that somehow thinks that practicing ignorance with respect to customer experience and customer demand/satisfaction, to say nothing of prospective customer adoption moving forward, simply has misplaced priorities IMHO. It doesn't matter how smart Musk is - if he has lost touch with his customer base - which increasingly appears to be the case - that's a red flag that no one should ignore- especially when Tesla can certainly do both here - as I've repeatedly said - this isn't a startup company any longer - and many a very talented executive with great ideas has failed to successfully make the transition from the disruption phase into the adoption phase - and with decisions like we've seen this week - it's certainly possible Tesla may fail to make this transition if they continue to ignore their customers and continue to practice ignorance with respect to cannibalizing future customer demand by not focusing on what's necessary to eliminate blockers for future sales volume increases.
Again the major difference is that with automakers gaining access to the supercharger network, it no longer helps sell TESLAs as a unique selling point. In such a case, a large portion of your effort would be to support EVs of other brands. In such a case, it makes less sense to have the same rate of investment. Instead it makes more sense for the government to pay for it or for joint investments like Ionna to take the torch. Note above is only talking about the roll out of new stations.

The overwhelming response I have seen to opening the network is that finally people feel safe buying a non-Tesla EV. I don't see the opposite where people are encouraged to buy a Tesla because they are grateful of opening it up.

I do agree that if this affects NACS adoption, that would be a blow (especially in terms of third party networks switching to NACS), I said as much up thread. Tesla needs to reestablish contact with OEMs (if it has been lost, there is little info in this regard) and continue on with efforts to integrate them into the network.

Let the private sector carry the burden of the construction of the network, why should this cost be a Tesla only bill payer event?
Because it remains their largest competitive advantage and sells lots of cars... something they're having some challenges with at the moment?

Also, since when is Tesla not "the private sector?"

Because it remains their largest competitive advantage and sells lots of cars... something they're having some challenges with at the moment?

Also, since when is Tesla not "the private sector?"
It's no longer a competitive advantage when all EVs can access the network. Plus every new station going forward will support other EVs (in fact even better because the V4s will have longer cables).

I personally would never consider an EV with no supercharger access, and now with the network opened up, I have far more options (and the likelihood I don't buy a Tesla for my next car has increased drastically).

As for the other part, I think you get his point, he is talking about other charge network providers.

Did anyone force Tesla to agree to open its superchargers to other manufacturers? What’s being written here makes no logical sense unless they were. If it’s not in their interest to do so, because now some maybe more likely to not buy a Tesla EV, then why did they do it?
Tesla did it so the third party stations being built with Federal money would use NACS and Tesla would not need to have owners deal with CCS adapters. The third party networks can now carry the torch of the supercharger network. With this change there is no longer a separate world between superchargers and other third party networks, they would all converge on using NACS and supporting plug-and-charge. The supercharger network becomes just a another charge network and is no longer the "unique selling point" that helps sell Teslas. The logic is quite simple really.

Some back story on this, it was Jim Farley of Ford that convinced Elon to do it, reminding him of Tesla's mission statement:
"Our goal when we created Tesla a decade ago was the same as it is today: to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport by bringing compelling mass market electric cars to market as soon as possible."
https://www.tesla.com/blog/mission-tesla

This move definitely benefits the adoption of EVs in general, but it does not necessarily benefit the adoption of Teslas (instead it's the opposite, it encourages people to consider non-Tesla options).

Last edited:
Count me in there. No way I would have plunked for the Tesla without the SC here in town to get me out of an available range hole quickly.

That's the problem, most cars don't travel cross country too often and most people charge at home almost exclusively aside from those big trips. We want them available much more than we want to actually use them.

A prediction.

As good as the tech is it must be capable of improvement to the point it doesn't need a profit sapping amount of maintenance. Then we get price competition in charging as the power coming out of them is already expensive. Those people in the charging dept have plenty of work lined up once the dust settles but it will be paid for out of subsidies, and charge fees going up not down.
same. Living out in the middle of Idaho, the large and expanding network was a huge selling point.