Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ESC vs TCS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cobos

Model S owner since 2013
Supporting Member
Jun 22, 2007
Oslo, Norway
I've noticed that the Roadster has a traction control system. I've always thought that was the same as a electronic stability control (ESC/ESP) system? Can someone please explain the difference to me, I'm most concerned with the security benefits for the Model S, and if TCS wont be as good on snow/ice as ESC supposedly is?

Cobos

I believe they are essentially the same thing. Different manufacturers have different names for it. Stability control is a bit of a broader term, and could include an automatic adjustment of the suspension or other things as well as dealing with wheel spin. But I think most "ESC" systems only deal with traction control.

Last edited:
The reason I'm asking is that if you look up the Wikipedia articles on these they specifically state that these systems even if similar has different goals. One of those articles/reviews from the UK press also listed no ESC/ESP for the Tesla which got me wondering?

Cobos

I have always thought of ESC/ESP as being a more active system than TCS. To my (limited) knowledge (and without the benefit of some of the articles being referred to) TCS only activates some braking of a spinning wheel. ESC/ESP on the other hand (especially in an all-wheel drive system) is specifically designed to real-time allocate and transfer power among the wheels to bring the vehicle back in line with the intended path (steering wheel angle). I believe the Tesla only does TCS, it can not shift the amount of power applied to the other wheel (two-drive system) -- unless you think of "braking" as taking power away. My daily driver is a 4Matic Benz ... and it is *fantastic* in how it shifts power in aggressive driving; on top of that I have never yet put snow chains on it, even in the worst of winter weather in the Lake Tahoe region.