Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Evie EV charging networks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Imagine if the price of anything changed between the time that you picked it up from the shelf to the time you got to the check out. Or Petrol. Does this happen? I’ve never noticed.

View attachment 1048634
Pretty sure with petrol, they can't change the price while you are filling. Though according to most ICE drivers they only spend 11 seconds for the entire filling process, lol.

I guess if they show the costs ahead of time, ie off-peak is x between these hours, and peak is y between these hours, then it'd be ok, but if they just varied pricing to whatever figure they want at any time, then no, I don't think that'd pass consumer protection laws.

Pretty sure with petrol, they can't change the price while you are filling. Though according to most ICE drivers they only spend 11 seconds for the entire filling process, lol.

I guess if they show the costs ahead of time, ie off-peak is x between these hours, and peak is y between these hours, then it'd be ok, but if they just varied pricing to whatever figure they want at any time, then no, I don't think that'd pass consumer protection laws.
Shirley they would just wait until the end of the charge session then change it.

I guess it’s different with petrol as they have already bought the petrol and put it in the servos tank at X cents and put their profit on it, then at a random time they just change the price to add X+50c a litre for the same physical fuel that’s already in their storage tank.

At least with electricity there are defined peak/off peak times that they can rip you off , in theory if they had been averaging the cost historically, the off peak price should come down, right?

Shirley they would just wait until the end of the charge session then change it.

I guess it’s different with petrol as they have already bought the petrol and put it in the servos tank at X cents and put their profit on it, then at a random time they just change the price to add X+50c a litre for the same physical fuel that’s already in their storage tank.

At least with electricity there are defined peak/off peak times that they can rip you off , in theory if they had been averaging the cost historically, the off peak price should come down, right?
I think as long as it's advertised it should be ok. Say they have off peak at 15c between 0900 and 1600 and peak from 1600 at 45c.

If I rock up at 1559 I shouldn't expect to be paying 15c which may be under their supply costs, as long as it's clearly advertised in signage, app, etc.

If they just have dynamic pricing though, and I plug in at 1559 at 30c or whatever and they just decide 20 minutes later to bump it up to $5 then that's not ok and I don't think would pass muster.

Reactions: dronus
I think as long as it's advertised it should be ok. Say they have off peak at 15c between 0900 and 1600 and peak from 1600 at 45c.

If I rock up at 1559 I shouldn't expect to be paying 15c which may be under their supply costs, as long as it's clearly advertised in signage, app, etc.

If they just have dynamic pricing though, and I plug in at 1559 at 30c or whatever and they just decide 20 minutes later to bump it up to $5 then that's not ok and I don't think would pass muster.
Good point, and if the punter doesn’t like it they can always go down the road to the jolt. Unless they are in a town which only has the EVIE ;)

They are quite clear in communicating it too on the app. RAA have had peak/off peak rates for chargers for ages. It’s not really a big deal.

Reactions: Jules22
Hornsby Evie Variable pricing:
1700-0900 0.53c
0900-1700 0.64c

1600-2000 is the period with highest electricity spot pricing
I wonder if Evie is saying the charger demand is higher between 0900-1700?

Some would say this is just a way to increase prices without saying so.

Some would say this is just a way to increase prices without saying so.
Or a discount! Depending when you charge.

The Evie Network currently features 3 types of charging stations across Australia, each with pricing based on power and speed:
  • Fast Charging (up to 50kW) pricing is 58c per kWh + 0c per minute while charging.
  • Super-Fast Charging (up to 150kW) pricing is 68c per kWh + 0c per minute while charging.
  • Ultra-Fast Charging (up to 350kW) pricing is 73c per kWh + 0c per minute while charging.
Trial pricing at Hornsby is 53c from 5pm-9am, or a 5c discount on the 'old 'pricing , or 64c from 9am-5pm, a 6c peak increase over the 'old' pricing.

Would be a real bummer if the driver arrives at an Evie charger hoping to charge and problems with initiating a charge causing several pre-auths + by the time the charging actually works, the clock ticks over into a more expensive period
It doesn't matter when you start charging under Evie's variable pricing trial - you are charged the applicable rate at the time you charge.

Unlike Tesla, where you are charged the rate when you started charging (ie if you plugged in just before the higher rate applied, you still pay the lower rate as of when you started charging), Evie prices can change mid-charge.

Hopefully people are giving feedback during this trial???

Thats my point. The driver might have arrived in time for a charge at the cheaper rate, but shenanigans and difficulties with commencing a charge pushes the charging session to start at the higher pricer period.
But it doesn't matter when you start - if you plugged in and started the session at 0855 and unplugged at 0925, you'll pay 53c from 0855 to 0900, and then 64c from 0900 to 0925.

(theoretical example if Tesla had the same rate / peak times - you'd pay 53c from 0855-0925, as you pay the rate as of when you plugged in / started the session.)

Hopefully people are giving feedback during this trial???
People will probably be scared off using EVIE due to the preauth and confusion over what they are paying.

I was going to charge back up last night on the way home at EViE as it is 50kw but when I looked at the app for availability at mile end I saw the above.. kept going to the 25kw jolt and spent the extra few minuites getting some stuff I needed from coles.

That would be good feedback too I guess :)

I just use the Evie card. No preauths . But yes there are anecdotal reports of difficulties of initiating charge sessions leading to frustration which is then compounded by >1 preauth. People still incorrectly think preauth causes money to be actually deducted from their CC accounts.
Ohh well I have an Evie card too so there you go I wouldn’t have attracted the preauth.
The wording in the app says

IMG_0607.jpeg

And I ordered the card from the app so assumed they were linked.

So just connect, swipe and don’t open the app.. or can you open the app after the card has been swiped so you can monitor the charging?

can you open the app after the card has been swiped so you can monitor the charging?
yes, or the tesla app. However I don't know what method is better to stop a charging session. Im inclined to stop if via the Evie side rather than the Tesla side. Ive found that when I'm Jolting and i stop the charging using the Tesla app, that sometimes this causes an "error" on the Jolt side.

they have already bought the petrol and put it in the servos tank at X cents and put their profit on it, then at a random time they just change the price to add X+50c a litre for the same physical fuel that’s already in their storage tank.
My local metro petroleum has a "happy hour" period where the price of Dinojuiceᵀᴹ is discounted by 5c/L
Had one guy argue with the bloke behind the counter when he completed his fill up just prior to happyhour. He was not happy that as he went to pay, the displayed price went down. I was happy as my 300L of diesel was discounted.

But it doesn't matter when you start - if you plugged in and started the session at 0855 and unplugged at 0925, you'll pay 53c from 0855 to 0900, and then 64c from 0900 to 0925.
Yep, like the Irish pub I worked at as a youngster. It takes 2 minutes to pour a Guinness properly. If someone orders a Guinness 1 minute before the end of happy hour, you have to pour half the Guinness, leave it to settle, and then pour the other half. But when you pour the other half, it's not happy hour any more, so you have to charge the customer for half the Guinness at happy hour price, and the other half at full price. That's when the fights usually started.