Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exclusive first Model 3 Dyno

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to admit I'm a little skeptical that the Model 3 actually puts down 400hp to the wheels. That's more than a BMW M3 which goes 0-60 in 3.8s and does 1/4 mile in 12.1s @118mph (Model 3 0-60 4.6s 1/4 mile in 13.3 @103mph).
396hp / 3800lbs / 68mph = 5.6m/sec^2 = 0.57G of acceleration at 68mph. The DragTimes test where they got 0-60 in 4.6s their Model 3 is only accelerating at about 0.4G at 68mph. Have you run any acceleration tests on your Model 3? Maybe you got a hot one.
View attachment 282302

What do you mean by this?
The graph you shared shows the acceleration at 0.6g, not 0,4g. It seems to match the BMWs 0 to 60, 1/4 mi and max g.....if it acts like a duck, quacks like a duck....

Reactions: Dr. J and Big Earl
And once again people don't have a clue about transmision, gears, max hp and torque. With single gear ratio, max hp is somewhere around half of max speed.
At 30mph there is only half of max hp available...
It looks to me like the Model 3 hits maximum hp at 40mph. But then it holds the maximum hp for a fairly wide range of speeds. I agree that the hp will dropping quite a bit a the end of the 1/4 mile while the BMWs is not.
Maybe we should compare it to a Tesla P85. People have dynoed the P85 at about 370hp with 0-60 of 4.0s and 1/4 mile of 12.4s @111mph. So the P85 makes less power, is 1000 pounds heavier and is significantly faster. It just doesn't make any sense to me.
It seems that either their dyno is miscalibrated or when they tricked or disabled the Model 3 traction control to allow it to make the dyno run they unlocked a massive amount of additional power.
All electric motors are limited by thermals.
This 192 kW is a sustained rating ower of one minute (my WAG), shorter bursts can be higher.
Agreed. I want this 400hp mode in my Model 3!

Reactions: MarkinArch
It looks to me like the Model 3 hits maximum hp at 40mph. But then it holds the maximum hp for a fairly wide range of speeds. I agree that the hp will dropping quite a bit a the end of the 1/4 mile while the BMWs is not.
Maybe we should compare it to a Tesla P85. People have dynoed the P85 at about 370hp with 0-60 of 4.0s and 1/4 mile of 12.4s @111mph. So the P85 makes less power, is 1000 pounds heavier and is significantly faster. It just doesn't make any sense to me.
It seems that either their dyno is miscalibrated or when they tricked or disabled the Model 3 traction control to allow it to make the dyno run they unlocked a massive amount of additional power.

Either on the reddit post or the FB post, the poster said they disabled TC. *somehow*...

EDIT: it was here, lol.

Forgive me for perhaps not understanding something, but are we looking at the same dyno plot (see post #12 for reference)? The screenshot I posted shows the peak HP at 68 MPH. :confused:

I have had my P85 on this very dyno, using the same method to calibrate (gear ratio, tire size, set it to 118rpm per mph) and it put down 441hp on 92% charge. We haven't done a heads up acceleration comparison between the P85 and Model 3 just yet, but the Model 3 doesn't feel all that much slower.

As for this car, I disconnected the right front ABS sensor to kill all traction systems in the car.

I'd like to see a SuperFlow or Dynojet pull.

Informational: Most chassis dynos do not actually measure motor torque, they calculate it. But they do know how much HP is required to either accelerate a mass, or generate an electric field strength level.

I've never dyno'd an EV. But I wonder if you put the inductive lead on one of the motor cables (or inverter) whether it would give motor RPM. It probably will since it will read over 50kV down to 12v pulses. This will give you motor torque. The torque curve crosses the HP curve at 5252 rpm, this is how you verify you got your sensor correct.

Dyno's by default use a 'correction factor', SAE or STD or OFF, which you would need to turn off for an EV. And you should always put a strong fan in front of the car to allow for some cooling to the heat exchangers.

It is possible the number is correct. I'd just like to see it done with more professional equipment.

I have had my P85 on this very dyno, using the same method to calibrate (gear ratio, tire size, set it to 118rpm per mph) and it put down 441hp on 92% charge. We haven't done a heads up acceleration comparison between the P85 and Model 3 just yet, but the Model 3 doesn't feel all that much slower.

As for this car, I disconnected the right front ABS sensor to kill all traction systems in the car.

This correlates with my “butt” dyno. Was expecting the 3 to feel closer to an S85 when I bought it, and was very pleasantly surprised at how much more it felt like my P85. If they ever make a P version of the 3 it is going to be crazy.

I'd like to see a SuperFlow or Dynojet pull.

Informational: Most chassis dynos do not actually measure motor torque, they calculate it. But they do know how much HP is required to either accelerate a mass, or generate an electric field strength level.

I've never dyno'd an EV. But I wonder if you put the inductive lead on one of the motor cables (or inverter) whether it would give motor RPM. It probably will since it will read over 50kV down to 12v pulses. This will give you motor torque. The torque curve crosses the HP curve at 5252 rpm, this is how you verify you got your sensor correct.

Dyno's by default use a 'correction factor', SAE or STD or OFF, which you would need to turn off for an EV. And you should always put a strong fan in front of the car to allow for some cooling to the heat exchangers.

It is possible the number is correct. I'd just like to see it done with more professional equipment.
We are still trying to figure out the best way to get accurate numbers. The benefit to this particular dyno, is it also reads reverse torque for regen per axle.