Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Heavy - 7&8 Reuse - Elon's Roadster Demo - LC-39A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very simple calculation shows it will probably crash into Earth in 100 000 years.
If that happens — though the information I have read states it is a very low probability — the Roadster will not “crash into Earth” because whatever remains of the car will burn up in the atmosphere. Nothing will reach the ground. After 100,000 years or so all that will be left of the car will be the aluminum frame and any steel components associated with the frame and the suspension. Everything else will have deteriorated and be gone.

Reactions: e-FTW
Yes, because they are developing recovery. I don't know why. It is very large. It must be very light and rather strong. Perhaps it is hand made piece of carbon fiber. I imagine automating fairing production could be alternative for recovery and reuse.

This is about money:)

I believe it's a sandwich of CF over an aluminum honeycomb structure. In addition to being large enough to hold a city bus, it also has separation mechanisms, must be strong enough to withstand high-G forces and Max-Q, and assumedly some rather precision mating surfaces where it attaches to the second stage, where the seams are, etc...

The pic of Elon's roadster awaiting launch shows the inside of the fairings... there's a fair amount of "stuff" in there.

Reactions: Grendal
If that happens — though the information I have read states it is a very low probability — the Roadster will not “crash into Earth” because whatever remains of the car will burn up in the atmosphere. Nothing will reach the ground. After 100,000 years or so all that will be left of the car will be the aluminum frame and any steel components associated with the frame and the suspension. Everything else will have deteriorated and be gone.
Electric motor might crash to surface of Earth, everything else only to atmosphere with speed about 15 km/s. Unless it comes in almost horizontally, most of that speed will be dissipated in one second.

Anyway I trust orbit simulation more than my simple calculation.

I believe it's a sandwich of CF over an aluminum honeycomb structure. In addition to being large enough to hold a city bus, it also has separation mechanisms, must be strong enough to withstand high-G forces and Max-Q, and assumedly some rather precision mating surfaces where it attaches to the second stage, where the seams are, etc...

The pic of Elon's roadster awaiting launch shows the inside of the fairings... there's a fair amount of "stuff" in there.
I agree, but I still think 2. stage is much more complex. Aerodynamic forces attacking fairing will be passed to 2. stage. It also has a rocket engine. Fraser Cain claims: Each RS-25 probably cost NASA around 60 M$. SLS uses 4 of those.

Don't wait too long:
What now for SpaceX's Mars-bound Telsa Roadster?

Very simple calculation shows it will probably crash into Earth in 100 000 years. Simulation is of course more accurate. Perhaps gravity of Jupiter and Earth will change orbit so that it less likely to hit Earth.

Very simple calculation shows that person making calculation hasn't studied orbital mechanics or chaos theory sufficiently. There's way more going on than just some 3 body planar model.

Very simple calculation shows that person making calculation hasn't studied orbital mechanics or chaos theory sufficiently. There's way more going on than just some 3 body planar model.
Of course there is. My purpose was to find order of magnitude. So what is wrong with this: Last change to orbit was made close to Earth, so orbits of Roadster and Earth will intersect on that point. Earth moves its own diameter in less that 7 minutes -> 7 min/year = 1.3e-05
In 100 000 years Roadster will pass Earths orbit roughly (same order of magnitude) 100 000 times. 100000 * 1.3e-05 = 1.3 Earth gravity increases odds. Roadsters orbit will be almost parallel to Earths when close to Earths orbit. This will increase collision probability much. Other factors will decrease it. There is no point to even try to calculate this accurately. It must be done with simulation.

I, for one, am not making the argument it's more complex than the second stage.

I was primarily addressing the comment about it being made of CF, and I additionally outlined the other features I suspect contribute to it's cost.
6 M$ for fairing makes it roughly as expensive as 2.stage. Merlin must be much cheaper than 6 M$, because F9 has 10 Merlins. So I have trouble understanding fairing price.

I found support for my ideas:
Cost calculation for Falcon 9 & Falcon Heavy • r/spacex

• Informative
6 M$ for fairing makes it roughly as expensive as 2.stage. Merlin must be much cheaper than 6 M$, because F9 has 10 Merlins. So I have trouble understanding fairing price.

Are you considering the amortized factory/ tooling cost for fairing production? I thought SpaceX was constrained on how many/ fast they could fabricate.

Are you considering the amortized factory/ tooling cost for fairing production? I thought SpaceX was constrained on how many/ fast they could fabricate.
No I didn't. I don't know much about manufacturing. So I'll try to compare how complex products are. I think Elon said 10* production rate cut productions costs to half. That makes sense, but rocket production rate is too low.

If they are limited by fairing production, then I go back to my guess: Fairing production is expensive because of lot of manual work is needed. That also makes it slow. There must be large group of workers making only fairings. I searched carbon fiber price and found promises 50% cost reduction soon.

• Helpful
Reactions: mongo

I have heard (not sure where) a couple times that a single Merlin engine costs $1 million. Math-wise compared to the rough cost of a booster stage the $1 million number makes sense. I believe both Elon and Gwynne have said the fairings are around $6 million. Someone on SpaceX FB said the titanium grid fins are $1 million a set. That is likely since Elon said he really wanted them back.

I have heard (not sure where) a couple times that a single Merlin engine costs $1 million. Math-wise compared to the rough cost of a booster stage the $1 million number makes sense. I believe both Elon and Gwynne have said the fairings are around $6 million. Someone on SpaceX FB said the titanium grid fins are $1 million a set. That is likely since Elon said he really wanted them back.

A set of titanium grid fins costing as much as an entire engine seems counter intuitive. Not to say there aren't reasons to make it so.

Reactions: AndreN and Grendal
Two questions about the FH launch from someone who can't get enough of it. First, will SpaceX (or NASA) ever publish a Technical webcast video, with only the technical call outs?
Second Question, is there any other video (close in) other then the primary launch video of the liftoff itself? I am looking for a camera angle that shows the ignition sequence, boosters then core. The primary video is just a mess of steam and the engines are not visible.

Appreciate your thoughts!

Two questions about the FH launch from someone who can't get enough of it. First, will SpaceX (or NASA) ever publish a Technical webcast video, with only the technical call outs?
Second Question, is there any other video (close in) other then the primary launch video of the liftoff itself? I am looking for a camera angle that shows the ignition sequence, boosters then core. The primary video is just a mess of steam and the engines are not visible.

Appreciate your thoughts!

1. No. SpaceX has never done a post launch video except to promote an exceptional moment. They did a second pointed and hip video for the first successful landing. So I expect to see a similar sort of video for FH but it won't be technical at all. More like the opposite of technical. An emotional video of everyone's excitement celebrating the accomplishment.

2. Maybe. NASA did some amazing videos for the Space Shuttle. Because SpaceX works with NASA and they probably appreciate the history and some of those same moments maybe they wanted to recreate something like that. So I'd guess it's possible but unlikely.

1. No. SpaceX has never done a post launch video except to promote an exceptional moment. They did a second pointed and hip video for the first successful landing. So I expect to see a similar sort of video for FH but it won't be technical at all. More like the opposite of technical. An emotional video of everyone's excitement celebrating the accomplishment.

2. Maybe. NASA did some amazing videos for the Space Shuttle. Because SpaceX works with NASA and they probably appreciate the history and some of those same moments maybe they wanted to recreate something like that. So I'd guess it's possible but unlikely.

Copy all, but don't technical webcasts exist for most other F9 launches? Did they just choose not to do one this time?

Copy all, but don't technical webcasts exist for most other F9 launches? Did they just choose not to do one this time?

Oops. I forgot that FH launch had/has a second channel on their launch video. It's not exactly a technical version but it shows the control center in Hawthorne throughout the entire launch. It's at the bottom of the Youtube video: a folder icon with a double arrow. Click on that and choose the second channel.