Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Wing Door Slowly Dropping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ohmman

Upright Member
Global Moderator
Feb 13, 2014
North Bay/Truckee, CA
So.. Wohmman came home today complaining that the driver's side FWD isn't staying up. Sure enough, it's not. At full opening, it seems OK. But anytime it's obstructed from a full open (sensors/umbrella mode), it begins to slowly descend. Seems like a leak in one of the arms. The lower the door is, the faster the descent.

I'll be calling the SC tomorrow. Anyone else seen this?

@ohmman, sorry to hear that. Have not seen this issue so far. It would be a bad since now I have changed the setting to not open the doors fully (after the big discussion on seeing issues under certain circumstances).
Did you try calling the 24hr tech service line? Although they are likely to direct you to a SC.

FYI -- It's my understanding that the falcon wing doors do not have hydrolics. I read they considered them but after problems they switched to electric motors. Not that this changes the problem, but just sharing what I've read.

Well, there are those two hydraulic arms which I believe support the weight of the door. I am not trying to pretend I know much about this, so I ask that the others in the forum correct me here - but I think the doors are electrically lifted and lowered, but that they are supported by hydraulics. The difference with the original design, assuming there was one (Eds invocation here), would be that the doors were hydraulically actuated - a pump would control the raising and lowering of the doors.

My feeling is that the electrical actuator/motor is fine, but one of the hydraulic arms has failed or is leaking.

I can report that the Falcon Wing Doors will lower gradually when driving with them open. A slow short test drive was tried in an empty parking lot to test if the doors could be left open for a parade. Seemed the bounce of the vehicle caused the lowering.

You can physically push the door down. They are designed to be closed if the electrical assist fails.

I have never experienced the gradual lowering of a open Falcon Wing Door while the vehicle is parked or during a showing of Model X as during the Santa Barbara Earth Day Festival.

Red X Photo.jpg White X Photo.jpg Blue X Photo.jpg

Although the majority of the weight is counter balanced by the high tension coil springs (similar to those for garage doors), there seems to be two Gas Struts like the frunk and rear deck have.

View attachment 172811

Based on the rendering it looks to me the gas strut is used to counterbalance the outer hinge. So the question is is the whole door closing down or just the end going limp?

Reactions: loganintx