Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Road trip with model 3.....really sucks.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is not the first road trip, but its your first supercharging that screwed up your trip. You should have checked out to the supercharging in your nearest supercharger first, a few days before you went for the road trip. Especially given that you are in CA, that should have been quite easy.

I love Teslas but why is it always the owners fault when something happens? When I was 16 I bought a new Nissan and never did I once had to test a gas station to make sure I can fill my gas tank.

Btw, I over filled it and gas spilled all over me. Learn the hard way. Maybe I should have tested it first. Oh well.

The Kettleman station lougue is nice through. Big enough that i can play hide and seek with my two years.

Attachments

• 645997A2-17A7-4388-9A0D-1CE51F85C50A.jpeg
    645997A2-17A7-4388-9A0D-1CE51F85C50A.jpeg
    302.7 KB · Views: 112
The Kettleman station lougue is nice through. Big enough that i can play hide and seek with my two years.

As frustrating as your first attempt at a road trip with your Model 3 started off badly, with any type of road trip independent of vehicles, always expect the unexpected. Least you're able to have some "extra" Daddy time with your cute two year-old. Great way to "roll with the punches" at this point. :)

Yes I do have credit card in Tesla, I have use it for car deposit and accessories purchasing without any issue. And Tesla technician has trouble shooting this, he did not find any account issue, need to hand over to engineer team for further trouble shooting.

I hope Tesla will resolve this problem quickly. Later, I would appreciate if you could update this thread with whatever the explanation is for the problem.

In addition to being one of those things that should just work, the idea that someone should have to test Supercharging assumes that someone has a Supercharger nearby to test. I'm about 60 miles one-way from the nearest Superchargers. Unless I'm driving it at night, both of those locations could be 2 hours or more in traffic.

If I had to be stuck somewhere, Kettleman City's Supercharger would be towards the top of my list. Hope that a fix is found quickly for you. Keep enjoying that playtime with your kids. My oldest is back at college now (we actually stopped in Kettleman City on our way home from his first year of school), and might not have been willing to play hide and seek with me if I'd asked. ;)

Reactions: chinnam3 and SJC3
It is not the first road trip, but its your first supercharging that screwed up your trip. You should have checked out to the supercharging in your nearest supercharger first, a few days before you went for the road trip. Especially given that you are in CA, that should have been quite easy.

Maybe tesla should have verified it’s functionality at the factory before unloading it on a customer.

On the bright side, it was Kettlemens. They have a super nice lounge with amenities. Be thankful it wasn’t Shamrock, Texas on a Sunday night.

I'm picturing the T***y Twister bar in 'From Dusk Til Dawn'

LOL, the Shamrock Supercharger is located at the world famous U Drop Inn, a restored 1930s service station. So at least there is something pleasant to look at, and I think the restrooms are open to use at all hours. The Family Dollar across the street might be closed on Sunday nights, though!

Update:

After 6 hours of L2 charge at Kettleman, another 3 hr driving, finally arrive at LA hotel at 3am...... car has 20 miles left and this hotel has no charge...(prepaid hotel so I did not try to find another one).

Tesla service center is 13 miles from my hotel so I think I can make it to Service center tomorrow morning..... hopefully they can fix it or give me a loaner car.

LOL, the Shamrock Supercharger is located at the world famous U Drop Inn, a restored 1930s service station. So at least there is something pleasant to look at, and I think the restrooms are open to use at all hours. The Family Dollar across the street might be closed on Sunday nights, though!

I once was stuck in Shamrock for 20 hours. I arrived when a major snow storm caused a wide power outage. Eventually Tesla organized a tow truck that drove me 90 miles to the next Supercharger.

Update:

After 6 hours of L2 charge at Kettleman, another 3 hr driving, finally arrive at LA hotel at 3am...... car has 20 miles left and this hotel has no charge...(prepaid hotel so I did not try to find another one).

Tesla service center is 13 miles from my hotel so I think I can make it to Service center tomorrow morning..... hopefully they can fix it or give me a loaner car.

you are taking this like a champ. I hope that Tesla pulls through for you

On the bright side, it was Kettlemens. They have a super nice lounge with amenities. Be thankful it wasn’t Shamrock, Texas on a Sunday night.

I've actually been there on a road trip, at 2pm on a Friday....it isn't a whole lot better! ;)

But the folks inside the little Conoco museum shop were super friendly, and we found a little local deli within walking distance for a late lunch. Not the worst place I've ever been! :D

Reactions: Krugerrand

Disagree. Not cool man. Hope you realized what you were really saying before posting. :)

Update:

Sorry to hear about your Model 3 problem, which is very unusual. Fortunately there was L2 charging at Kettleman, and at the maximum rate that the 3 can accept.

Drive slowly to the Tesla Service Center to conserve energy and let us know what happens with your car.

Exactly what I did before I went on my first road trip. I tested to make sure dryer plug worked, supercharging work, and had some waterless cleaning solution and microfibers in my car to clean off all the bugs. *sugar* happens, it's always good to be prepared.