Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before anyone watches it and says, that it needed help with the throttle, well, yes it did.

But, it does U-turns unassisted, as I can personally attest and have video proof (it failed once and succeeded once; to be clear) as the steering wheel is horribly jerky and path planning showed a left at first and then switched to a u-turn. I'm honestly surprised nobody else has experienced this yet.
I second that, I have performed multiple U turns on the current version.
All required a press or 2 on the go pedal. This tells me the current build, from experience, has been programmed to allow U turns under supervision. This behavior was not mentioned in the build notes, likely on purpose. The AI team probably didn't want the likes of me and @Discoducky experimenting with it. Likely meant for the alpha testers.
Prior attempts gave you the "unable to complete maneuver, please manually perform". = Unmatched progress and a near future release of unassisted U turns!

Pretty similar progress with the geo-fenced Cruze and Waymo. /s

Drove a bunch more today and yeah, roundabouts, lane selection, late turn signal, turn signal with no turn, no turn signal when lane merging. Lefts and rights are pretty good at this point.

Fixes are lane connectivity graph and I think we need a turn signal NN. Sounds like overkill, I know...

Whole Mars ubers a couple of passengers that don't even notice the car is driving itself:

Makes me want to Uber and mess with folks.

On safety... Not sure if others do this, but he's having people enter and exit the car while in Drive. I've always seen that as a risk and always put it in park. The moment you forget that you left it in drive, then let off the brake (holds), then get into a conversation, and 2 min later touch the accelerator - Oops! In an ICE vehicle, there's an engine running. And if I let off the brake, it will roll so we only go a few inches before pressing the brake again.

It's not at all the same in an EV where there's no sound and letting off the brake has no effect when using the no-creep option (the most convenient mode). I have forgotten in the garage only to press the brake and grateful I didn't go through the wall. The gear indicator used to be difficult to notice. Now the car animates more clearly when in or out of gear which is helpful. FSD and safety systems should head this off eventually.

If you open a door with the vehicle in Drive, it automatically switches to Park (try it).

It's been some time since I tested that, but I was thankful that it let me drive my car with my door open if I wanted to. I've done rolling pickups of things laying in the street before. Unless they have changed the behavior, it only prevents driving if you remove your body from the driver's seat (as it should). Or maybe you are describing the behavior when using FSD? I haven't tested that.

It's been some time since I tested that, but I was thankful that it let me drive my car with my door open if I wanted to. I've done rolling pickups of things laying in the street before. Unless they have changed the behavior, it only prevents driving if you remove your body from the driver's seat (as it should). Or maybe you are describing the behavior when using FSD? I haven't tested that.
It works like that on my sig S - stays in drive until I get my arse off the seat, then switches to park. Mine's an oldie though, cant say if its different on new(er) cars.

Reactions: StealthP3D
It works like that on my sig S - stays in drive until I get my arse off the seat, then switches to park. Mine's an oldie though, cant say if its different on new(er) cars.

‘22 YP and SP. I don’t know what sequence is needed but I never actively put car in park. I either unbuckle or open the door. One or both of which does it for me.

God I am clueless now when I drive an ICE car. Which thankfully is almost never.

Last edited:
Reactions: phantasms and MC3OZ
Putting your foot on the brake cancels FSD.

My 2021 Model 3 and 2017 Model X does NOT go into park when the passenger doors are opened, but DOES go into park when the drivers door is opened.

I don't know...

Even if this were true, which rivals are you concerned about?
A lot of manufacturers have auto park. My question is do the cars arriving with tesla vision only still have auto park. We use auto park all the time. As far as I can tell most of the heavy lifting is done by tesla vision. Lining up with the lines etc. Is it a big deal to have auto park with only tesla vision?

Reactions: Nocturnal
A lot of manufacturers have auto park. My question is do the cars arriving with tesla vision only still have auto park. We use auto park all the time. As far as I can tell most of the heavy lifting is done by tesla vision. Lining up with the lines etc. Is it a big deal to have auto park with only tesla vision?
People actually get Autopark to work?!? I’ve never had it see a parking place.

• Funny
Reactions: DarthPierce
People actually get Autopark to work?!? I’ve never had it see a parking place.

The original ultrasonic only version was garbage... it was updated to use vision roughly a year ago (though only on refresh S initially, then to other cars later) and it is vastly better (it sees parking spot lines now, recognizes spots far more easily, and there's no need to park between 2 cars anymore)...and while it's still slower than a human, it's fast enough now to be worth using at least.

The original ultrasonic only version was garbage... it was updated to use vision roughly a year ago (though only on refresh S initially, then to other cars later) and it is vastly better (it sees parking spot lines now, recognizes spots far more easily, and there's no need to park between 2 cars anymore)...and while it's still slower than a human, it's fast enough now to be worth using at least.
Well, I’m running FSD beta, and it doesn’t see parking places. I believe you that yours does, but for me Autopark is a myth.

Well, I’m running FSD beta, and it doesn’t see parking places. I believe you that yours does, but for me Autopark is a myth.

I think the FSD Beta drivable-space visualization actually covers over the P icon that would normally appear for Autopark. So you won't know if it's available until you go into reverse. But I can generally get it to trigger by driving slowly past the space I want to Autopark into (both parallel and perpendicular), and then going into reverse. If it's worked, it will have a START button on screen shortly after going into reverse.

Don't want to go OT, but could someone tell me if Autopark also parks forward? I have a garage perpendicular to the street (so 90° turn left) and I drive in front first. Can Tesla Autopark this? (Will receive my Model Y in Q1 2023, with EU FSD paid for)

Backing up into it (rear first) would get my charging port on the wrong side :rolleyes:.

Don't want to go OT, but could someone tell me if Autopark also parks forward? I have a garage perpendicular to the street (so 90° turn left) and I drive in front first. Can Tesla Autopark this? (Will receive my Model Y in Q1 2023, with EU FSD paid for)

Backing up into it (rear first) would get my charging port on the wrong side :rolleyes:.
Yes. There is an auto park for garage mode. It’s part of the summon feature. We don’t use it but have tried it. I don’t remember all the steps but essentially you line it up with the garage, select something or other, get out and as soon as the door closes it drives into the garage and parks. YouTube has videos on it. That’s how we found it.

Cheers.

Really enjoyed this video with Omar (Whole Mars Catalog) doing a full drive with Cruise.

Seems like Cruise is not doing UPLs or UPRs (defining these to be at lights or stop signs where you have the right of way or in other words, it is NOT doing ANY decisions around moving target vehicles on a collision vector for turns).

Really enjoyed this video with Omar (Whole Mars Catalog) doing a full drive with Cruise.

Seems like Cruise is not doing UPLs or UPRs (defining these to be at lights or stop signs where you have the right of way or in other words, it is NOT doing ANY decisions around moving target vehicles on a collision vector for turns).

Yeah but the only reason FSD even attempts it is because the system is a Level 2 ADAS with a backup driver who is always responsible, affording a lot more latitude to attempt crazy things on public roads knowing the driver is ready for the wrong thing at the worst time.

Tesla would never let FSD attempt something like UPLs without a butt in the driver's seat, because it would not end well

Not to my knowledge, it only works backwards as it has to see the parking spot first and then back into it.

• Helpful
Reactions: jeewee3000
Current autopark is finicky as it requires you to roll by slowly (all the way by) a parking spot that has a car on each side, then you press the brake and it will offer you autopark. I realize that it sucks, that is not lost on me. Don't hate me as my team implemented it and it only used the Bosch sonar pucks. The new vision autopark should be sweet butter.

Reactions: jeewee3000