Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 1 UMC leaking oily fluid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Fiver

Apr 10, 2015
Utah
I pretty much never use my Gen 1 UMC. It lives in the back storage area of my X, along with every adaptor Tesla ever made for it. (I should add, I've never needed any of said adaptors except the 14-50 and 14-30 ones. The others were a total waste of $$.). I think since 2016 I've used this UMC a total of 6 times.

I was at a friends place last weekend and actually used the UMC and 14-30 adaptor to charge while I was there. It worked fine overnight and the next morning I tossed the UMC in the back of the X and went home.

Today I was cleaning out my car, and finally getting around to coil up the UMC to put back in it's bag to stow away and noticed it had some oily goo coming out from both ends of the little box. It could have been there before the I used it last weekend, I didn't notice. Regardless it's there now.. UMC still seems to work fine.

Any idea what it might be?

IMG_8889.jpeg IMG_8890.jpeg

Looks like maybe it overheated. Or maybe the rubber insulation decomposed to the point where it could not withstand the heat of charging, and produced this oil (maybe some coating of the rubber).

Assuming you didn't drop it in a puddle of motor oil...

I'm just guessing, but given the age and the fact that it is out of warranty, I'd suggest that you toss it in the garbage and purchase a new Gen 2 mobile connector.

I'd say that using your mobile connector 1.5 times a year is normal for those who keep it for backup and unusual situations. Its just like a flashlight and other emergency kit items.

I’ve been concerned about the intended lifecycle of the mobile charger - whether it was meant for daily use or if it was meant to be kept in the trunk for occasional use only. I’ve been concerned because mine has been plugged and powered up continuously for about 1.5 years. Because the 14-50 plug is not intended to be plugged and unplugged daily I simply leave my mobile charger plugged in. Breakers were also not meant to be flipped on and off every day, so I leave the breaker on all the time. I’m basically using the mobile charger like a HPWC (I have one of those, too, but on the other side of the garage, used primarily for our other M3).

I wouldn't worry about life cycle of the UMC plugged in all the time.
Now it is a legit concern that things wear out. My UMC car end gets much warmer than my HCWC, far as I know the UMC was primary for the first 80k. The contacts are worn and causing more resistance and heat. It isn't junk yet but I leave it in the trunk for travel now. It would wear out if I continued to try and use daily.

For reference my car is a 2014 S P85 with 100k.

I’ve been concerned about the intended lifecycle of the mobile charger - whether it was meant for daily use or if it was meant to be kept in the trunk for occasional use only. I’ve been concerned because mine has been plugged and powered up continuously for about 1.5 years. Because the 14-50 plug is not intended to be plugged and unplugged daily I simply leave my mobile charger plugged in. Breakers were also not meant to be flipped on and off every day, so I leave the breaker on all the time. I’m basically using the mobile charger like a HPWC (I have one of those, too, but on the other side of the garage, used primarily for our other M3).
It should be fine. I'm still using my original 2014 UMC just like you were saying--plugged in all the time, always "on" and charging with it a few times a week for over six and a half years. It's still fine. Granted, I do not run it at the maximum 40A. I keep my amps set to 31 to keep it cooler, which I do think has helped some to preserve the life of it some by reducing the temperature cycling a bit.